Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Starting a window cleaning business - Equipment you need, suppliers to use and trade organisations to join, etc.

How effective is 'door knocking'?

Posted by paul3591 (paul3591), 24 September 2003
IF you knock on peoples doors and ask do they what there windows clean. how effective is this sort on promotion
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 24 September 2003
When I was starting up I tried all kinds of things to get more work,I tried going knocking on doors but I did not get a very good response people saw a man walking down there path and did not answer the door .
The best responce I had was from posting  flyers , even that took 2 tries, first one I put a contact telephone number but not many phoned ,so I tried using a 2 sided flyer , one side Do you need a window cleaner, on the other side  yes please clean my windows , I had a much better response from that  Cool
Posted by fez (fez), 11 October 2003
on 09/24/03 at 22:05:47, Majestic wrote:
Do you need a window cleaner, on the other side  yes please clean my windows , I had a much better response from that  Cool

Did they leave the leaflet out for you to see or post it back to you?

I like the sound of that idea - most people never get around to phoning you even if they'd use your services.

Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 12 October 2003
Fez
I told them to put  it in the window where I could see it, a couple of days later I called round the area to see how many had put my leaflet in the window , then posted another telling them what day I would call to clean  , it worked really well  Cool
Posted by fez (fez), 12 October 2003
Majestic.

Cheers for that, it sounds a really good idea. Much better than cold calling as nobody likes being bothered by people on the doorstep selling stuff - no matter how good/cheap etc.

I might give it a go up here. Wink
Posted by Londoner (Londoner), 12 October 2003
I alway drop a cheap leaflet and then knock 3 days later.
What I found was that if you wore overalls and had a shave etc it makes a difference.
The first impression when they open the door really counts. the lady of the house is sizing you up and if she thinks you look like a threat she will say no even if she is desperate for a window cleaner.
Remember, you will probably be calling when she is on her own, you will be going round the back and peering through her windows. You will know when the house is empty and when they are away etc.
Do I need to say more?
I know what it`s like myself someone knocking at the door when you have just come in from work or just had your tea , I dont bother to answer it .I had a better response from the leaflets. Cool
Posted by M4RK (M4RK), 12 October 2003
I got most my domestic work from cold canvassing, door knocking. But hey, I'm used to it Wink
Be friendly and brief, they will only say no if they're not interested.
They might give you tips on an area where they are
looking for a window cleaner.
Once you have a few customers and you do a good job , you will be surprised how your name will travel .If you do a good job and are pleasant the work will come in, you could also mention to any customers that you are still looking for more work and do they know anybody who wants a window cleaner . It all helps Cool
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 12 October 2003
I got all my domestic work through door knocking and after asking if they would like a window cleaner if they said no or they already had one i left my business card and i got a lot from that as well some weeks later. Grin

Steve Lowe
Posted by andy (andy), 12 October 2003
You could always get someone to canvass with you! its not so boring then, and have a little bit of fun, and have competions against each other.

The potential customers will git a good vib if your having fun at work!

Plus you will get better results>

Andy
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 13 October 2003
Thats how we used to do it. I used to pay someone to come with me as you both give each other some moral support which at times you need with this way of canvassing. Smiley

Steve Lowe
Posted by paul3591 (paul3591), 15 October 2003
Roll EyesOn a ratio say you knock on 100 doors on average  how many customers would you get out of the 100
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 15 October 2003
Hi Paul,
         Its hard to say, Sometimes i would get one or two and sometimes 20. It depends if they have a window cleaner in that road. Cheesy

Steve Lowe
Posted by AMG (AMG), 15 October 2003

Paul,

If it gives you a better idea I went out last Friday and spent about 5 hours door knocking and picked up 8 new customers, they were not all in the same area but close enough. That's almost a days work so working on that idea it would take a month of knocking to get a months work.  Wink  But I think it's just a case of getting stuck in and it takes as long as it takes.. as Stave said if you find an area with no cleaner your well away.

Andy
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 15 October 2003
Try walking down a street looking at the windows , if most of them are dirty try knocking  Cool
Posted by freegarda (freegarda), 15 October 2003
What time of day do you find it best to knock? AM / PM / evenings? Huh
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 15 October 2003
If you go in the day they could be at work , if you go at night they could of just had there tea and not want to answer the door .The first time I went door knocking I had a clip board with me and a couple of questions written down, I told them I was thinking of extending my window cleaning round to there area and was just feeling things out.
I asked them
Do you have a window cleaner ?
( if no ) do you want one ?
How often does he clean ?
Does he do a good job ?
Would you change him ?
( then the most important one)
How much does he charge.
With this I found out what the going rate for the street was, but I found that I had more luck with the flyers   Cool
Posted by karlosdaze (karlosdaze), 19 October 2003
I actually have my own quality control system. Its a questionnaire that asks basically what you said John. I've left out the questions you've posed already.
Please excuse the caps, but I pasted them straight from my sheets. I keep these as testimonials in a hardback A4 folder, along with photo's of my awning cleans.
PLEASE TAKE YOUR TIME TO FILL OUT THIS FORM, SO I CAN IMPROVE MY SERVICE
WERE YOU REFERRED BY ONE OF MY EXISTING CLIENTS?     IF SO,WHO?        
WOULD YOU RECOMMEND ME TO ANYONE?                                                                  
DO YOU THINK THE PRICE IS FAIR, FOR THE SERVICE OFFERED?  
HOW DID YOU HEAR ABOUT MY SERVICE?                                    
"DID YOU KNOW THAT USING AN UN-INSURED/ILLEGAL WINDOW CLEANER, MAKES YOU THE EMPLOYER,  LIABLE FOR ALL ACCIDENTS & THIRD PARTY LIABILITY?"
"HAVE YOU HEARD ABOUT MY PURE WATER TECHNOLOGY?"
"HOW DO YOU RATE THIS CLEAN COMPARED TO OTHER  WINDOW CLEANERS?"
"ALL THINGS CONSIDERED, HOW SATISFIED ARE YOU WITH THE WINDOW CLEANING SERVICE PROVIDED?                 VERY SATISFIED   SATISFIED  DISSATISFIED  VERY DISSATISFIED"
With COMMENTS & SUGGESTIONS.

One big winner lately is using the slip on plastic shoe covers when cleaning windows inside the house.

Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 23 October 2003
Hi Karl
         That what you said about the shoe covers does make a great deal of differance if you do a lot of inside work. I have a pair of slippers in my vehicle for any domestic work but i think i will look at these covers as they are quicker than undoing boots. Cheesy

Steve
Posted by Bones (Bones the Winda Kleena), 23 October 2003
Shoe covers!! I seem to have accumilated some of those when i left my employment Roll Eyes I thought they would come in handy  Grin
Posted by jake (jake), 23 October 2003
putting on 'overshoes' before you go through the door always go down well!! you are showing respect and will be asked to do inside again!
                                                 Cheesy
Posted by karlosdaze (karlosdaze), 27 October 2003
on 10/23/03 at 09:58:23, Steve Lowe wrote:
Hi Karl
         That what you said about the shoe covers does make a great deal of differance if you do a lot of inside work. I have a pair of slippers in my vehicle for any domestic work but i think i will look at these covers as they are quicker than undoing boots. Cheesy

Steve

Yes, 1 second on, and last approx 10 cleans, or is it that I scrape my feet? The punters see you respect their property, I guess these booties have got me at least 5 new jobs in the last month.
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 29 October 2003
Does anyone know where i can buy some of these overshoes Huh

Steve Lowe
Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 29 October 2003
Hi steve
have you tryed ringing wintecs
Cheers
Alan
Posted by Bones (Bones the Winda Kleena), 29 October 2003
I sent you a pair today steve, See what you think of them Grin
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 29 October 2003
Thanks Bones! Smiley

Steve
Posted by john_archer (john_archer), 30 October 2003
Steve,Arco sell plastic overshoes £2.39 for 100
Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 30 October 2003
Hi John_archer
Your a handy chap never thought of them they sell a load of stuff.
Well done
ALAN
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 1 November 2003
Thanks John,
                   Have they got a web address Huh

Steve
Posted by Bones (Bones), 1 November 2003
Hi Steve, the web address is http://www.arco.co.uk/

And Steve, you're posh! you got letters after your name!!! Shocked Shocked Grin What do they stand forHuh

Mikey
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 2 November 2003
Thanks Mikey,
                    I will wait to see the ones you have sent me to see how i get on with them Wink

Steve

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.