Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

Hands free kits

Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 26 December 2003
In light of the recent legislation regarding the use of mobiles while driving i was wondering if anyone on the forum uses a hands free car kit in a van Huh Do they give a reasonable quality call or are they just a gimmick Huh At the moment i just pull over if i get a call but sometimes this can be difficult.

Steve
Posted by Bones (Bones), 26 December 2003
Hello Steve,

My Mum got me a hands free kit for xmas and i am goin to set it up tomoro.

Basically youplug it in the ciggy lighter and put your phone in the cradle and clip a mic type thing to the ear piece, Then you tune your radio to a channel specified on the case and when someone calls there voice comes over the speakers in the motor.

Tell you how it goes tomoro,  Undecided

Mikey
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 27 December 2003
Thanks Mikey. I would be interested in how good the quality of the call is on the move Wink

Steve
Posted by fez (fez), 27 December 2003
I use hands free at work and - if you get a reasonable kit they are very good, not just a gimmick. You can hear the caller really clearly and you don't have to shout to make yourself heared. Mine has a microphone on the dashboard, however you can get head mikes now as well.

Posted by Neil (wylie), 27 December 2003
Hi Steve
Hope you had a good Christmas!
I have a friend who has just got a Bluetooth ear piece which I thought was a good idea as it can stay with you at all times (even up the ladder) The phone answers automatically so you dont have to touch it.
I will try to find out a bit more (like is it compatible with most phones) and let you know.

Posted by pure_genius (pure_genius), 27 December 2003
steve

i got a hands free kit from an esso station 4.99 with fuel got a cradle and built in speaker plugs into cigerete lighter, it works for me. Wink
Thanks for replys Wink  I would be interested to know how good the bluetooth device is as that sounds handy. I use a Nokia 5210 so i will need to see if their is one that is compatible Huh

Steve
Posted by ALEXDH (ALEXDH), 27 December 2003
FYI

If you get a little alcatel they have hands free loudpeaker built in when the phone rings you press one button and it goes to its own loudspeaker.

I have had mine ages but the new alcatels have it too.

they start at 50 for a new one.
Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 27 December 2003
Hi steve
I brought a universal hands free kit from the link the other week it was 19.99 made by plantronics found this was quite good.
All you get is the cradle and boom ear peice.
The other one they do which i will be getting is for £99.99 (supplied and fitting) fits to yr radio so when you get a call you have a preset channel on radio to go through and quite cheap the link is below
http://www.thelink.com/martlinprd/store/lin_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0512368613.1072545728@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccccadckffddghhcflgceggdhhmdfhm.0&page=Product&sku=984082&category_oid=
the other good thing about this is if yr phone is different to yr partners you can buy different adaptors for different phones, switch them over and use the other as you want.
Hope this helps.
Happy new year
Alan
Thanks Alan,
                  I have just looked at that one and it works with my phone and van so i will give them a ring Monday Smiley

Steve
Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 27 December 2003
Hi Steve
Is that the Halfords one?
I too are going to have a look at this for Karens car another expense not bad though are they.
How are things going mate have a good one
Alan
Hi Alan,
          Yes had a good Christmas but i have been back at work today Embarassed  That Halfords one for £99 is the one i am interested in Smiley

Steve
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 31 December 2003
Hi Mikey
           How did you get on with the hands free kit Huh Is voice quality good on the move Huh

Steve
Posted by Bones (Bones), 31 December 2003
Hi Steve, Yeah the sound ok just have to flick the radio channel over (as i like to listen to radio one) but at least i ain't lookin everywhere except the road now for the Old Bil.

Mikeyl
Posted by catrodney (catrodney), 31 December 2003
Hi Steve,
Hope you are well and had good christmas?
Re,hands free for your van,i have a nokia also and the kit i have is the p900 ,had it about 2 years now in my van excellent piece of kit and cost roughly £20  + £3 for the cradle.

Tim.
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 1 January 2004
Hi Tim
        Yes i did have a good Christmas thanks. Thanks for the information on your hands free kit. I will take a look on the Nokia site Wink

Happy new year!

Steve
Posted by pw (paul w), 1 January 2004
steve do you know brooklands weybridge thay have market sun/wen i got bluetooth for £50 & the ones that come out over radio are under £50 . paul
Hi Paul,
          Yes i know Brooklands market. The only worry i would have is comeback if it didnt work ok. Are the same traders their each week Huh

Steve
Posted by pw (paul w), 1 January 2004
yes steve thay are the same +thay tell you any problems bring back most are very helpfull.  paul. Cheesy
Thanks Paul,
                  I will take a look Sunday Wink

Steve
Posted by catrodney (catrodney), 1 January 2004
steve,
Does that mean you are having the day off .
Tim.
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 2 January 2004
Why not let them leave a message on your phone, Huh then give them a ring when you get to your next job Cool
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 2 January 2004
I would rather do that but sometimes it comes up as a private number so i could be missing a decent job Smiley

Steve
Steve
If they took the trouble to phone you once , they will try again Cool
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 2 January 2004
Not if its a local firm looking through the yellow pages. They will just go to the next local company in the book.

Steve
I dont have that problem here , I think there are only 2 other window cleaners in our Yellow Pages, and they would phone them as well . Any local firm will phone more than one window cleaner to get the best deal that they can .I have been cleaning long enough to pick and chose my jobs .I did not have that job before they phoned me so I am not loosing anything  Cool
John

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.