Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

How to clean Sisal according to manufacturer

Posted by Robert_O (Robert_O), 9 February 2004
Taken from a Sisal website.

Cleaning:

If possible, rotate your rug every six months, to change the traffic pattern on the surface of rug.

Should your floor coverings require a total cleaning, it is important to insure that a cleaning, hot water extraction or wet shampooing should NOT be used. These methods can cause shrinkage and staining of natural fibers. For an overall cleaning it is best to consult a professional who has experience with Natural Fiber Floorcovering.

Professional dry extraction methods of cleaning are recommended.
With proper maintenance and care your Natural Floor Coverings will remain beautiful and functional for years. However, natural fibers may not be the best choice for every condition. Also, the responsibility for cleaning and maintaining lies with those who perform the task. These cleaning and maintenance guidelines provide a practical guideline to keeping the floor covering looking its best. No warranty is expressed or implied.

Regards

Robert Olifent

Posted by Les (Les), 9 February 2004
Anyone ever cleaned Sisal ?
I've steered clear of it as the one's I've been asked to do have looked completely worn out or filthy, ( or Both) Cheesy
Les
Posted by stevegunn (Steve Gunn), 9 February 2004
Yes i've cleaned it using Host but the results are not fantastic not sure what it would come up like using Solution.
Hi Steve,
I thought about using Huh Hum...Solution  Roll Eyes (OR other Microsplitting products) Shocked
You have to be careful what you say  Tongue Grin
But unless someone can convince me otherwise I think I'll carry on givin it a miss.
Les Wink
Posted by stevegunn (Steve Gunn), 9 February 2004
Les I would really give it a try contact Nick at Solution he will send you a trial pack and give it ago you'll be pleasantly surprised. Wink
Hi Steve,
I have Shocked
He did Cheesy
I am Wink
Say no more Cool
Les
Posted by Petersullivan (Petersullivan), 16 February 2004
Hi you guys new to the forum, Sisal can be tricky have used host in the past, the method is as follows . give the area plenty of dry vaccuming, this is the key to cleaning natural fibres. then ive applied a misting of one step at normal dillution rates on the pakage. use the host macine to brush in then apply the host this must not be to wet as it can strip the dye from the mating and leave a bleach mark. when you have brushed in the host ,extract and if very dirty repeat the procsess, good luck. Cheesy
Posted by Ivar_Haglund (Ivar_Haglund), 16 February 2004
Run away

Sissel is a problem child

nothing you do will clean it to the satisfaction of the customer.

of course the sales man who sold it to them said just dry clean it.

IVAR Grin
Posted by Dave_Parry (Dave Parry), 16 February 2004
Had a staircase and small landing to clean, tried to dissuade client but she insisted I try. Quoted £ 90 which she accepted. Informed her results would not be great, still insisted I do it. So dry cleaned with ninja set up for solvent clean. then cleaned any stubborn spots with cloth wet with hwe solution but VERY sparingly. Result not great, but got to clean sofa, large footstool and car seats as an extra. So she wasnt too dissapointed. Always given it a miss since then.
Posted by Lee (Lee), 16 February 2004
Guys I have cleaned this, totally at the customers request, with hwe, massive disaster, It shrunk by about 8 inches all around..... My advice is leave it.... walk away with your reputation intact. Even though I advised strongly against it my client insisted I try, as all other methods had failed. Even 3 years later i still get people asking me "did you really shink Mrs ........ flooring"
Posted by Jim_Lynch (Jim_Lynch), 17 February 2004
I bonnet cleaned one many years ago when I was young ( Roll Eyes) and innocent.
It came up OK, but it certainly chewed up those bonnets  Cry

I'd walk today.

Jim

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.