Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

Am i to old for window cleaning?

Posted by classic (classic), 6 October 2003
felt the first frosts today ,a few aches and pains ,begining to wonder if im to old (47)  for this game,?
what is the average age of most full time window cleaners Huh?
Posted by sham33 (sham33), 6 October 2003
Im 34 and feel the same so dont worry lol  Grin
Posted by sham33 (sham33), 6 October 2003
btw a friend of mine also a window cleaner is 46 and can keep up with me.
Posted by heritage (heritage lee), 6 October 2003
im 28 but feel  40
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 7 October 2003
Hi Classic,
              I new a man some years ago that was still window cleaning at 76 and that was houses so your still a spring chicken. Grin

Steve Lowe
Posted by samm (samm), 7 October 2003
I'm 21, started 2 years ago, when its really cold I hurt as well so its not just you old gits  Grin only joking, seems like I got a good working life ahead of me (windows wise).
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 8 October 2003
I too am 47 , Remember life begins at 40  Grin Cool
Posted by windows_chepstow (windows_chepstow), 8 October 2003
A friend and fellow window cleaner is 68 years old.  He's fit as a fiddle, though reduced his round down to those houses that are easy to do (no climbing over gates, garages and don't require A Frames for the downstairs houses).

He looks and acts a lot younger and blames it on window cleaning.

I'm 33 and feel old and decrepid!  

Hope it improves when I'm 68!

Tosh (windows-chepstow).
Posted by geoffreyspecht (geoffreyspecht), 18 November 2003
im 49 and still  can clean windows faster than some 25 years olds i know.but i must confess i have slowed down a bit
Posted by paul (paul), 19 November 2003
i have a employee who is fifty six and he can run circles round the younger ones and keep going allday from 8am till 4pm
Posted by jim@hnh (jimh), 8 January 2004
Hi everyone,
I'm 47 and proud to say, iv'e been w/cleaning in total for19 years and I can truly say I knock spots off younger ones (no disrespect intended),and I've seen loads come and go,SO No your'e not to old young sir... Cool
Posted by wrighty (wrighty), 9 January 2004
Hi there,

I cleaned for the first time on thursday and I was tired and aching and believe it or not I go the gym four times a week.  Trust me mate you are definately not too old - keep your chin up - my partner who I am buying the round off is nearly 53 and did it not even bother him.

its like going the gym for the first few weeks - if you start monday you ach tuesday and totally seize up on wednesday - keep at it and you will run rings around any 25 - 30 year old as the vast majority of them are lazy anyway - Im 25 by the way.

I am only doing odd days for the next few weeks and then I am doing a full month with the w/c then I will buy it so the customers know me and I plan to expand and cold call to get even more profit and a helper or two

Let me know how you progress and good luck mate.

Regards

Craig
Posted by Londoner (Londoner), 10 January 2004
I am 50 this year. I don't think age comes in to it. I truely believe that doing any sort of active work is the best way keeping young.
Inactivity is a killer. Some people are physical wrecks at 40.
Posted by Neil (wylie), 10 January 2004
I agree Londoner
I am 40 and feel much fitter since I started four months ago. Smiley
Four years ago I worked in a factory with a guy who had to retire when he reached 65 and he looked like he was ready (old and knackered) but he started window cleaning to give him something to do.
I saw him the other day he now has 200 customers and looks great and he loves it.
Even his wife helps him out now. Cheesy

Posted by Reuben_Reynolds (Reuben_Reynolds), 10 January 2004
A lot of window cleaners i meet tend to complain about there knees hurting from going up and down ladders.
A waterfed pole may make it easier so you can keep window cleaning for longer?  Wink

Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 10 January 2004
I dont think age has got anything to do with it Roll Eyes Its more to do with overal fitness and how active you are used to being Wink

Steve
Posted by mark1 (mark1), 10 January 2004

mark1 im 33 been cleaning windows for 18 yrs,still feel 15 enjoy the money ur never to old
Posted by T_W_CONTRACTS (T_W_CONTRACTS), 22 January 2004
im 35 been cleaning windows 15 years i play football
on sundays take 2 of my boys football twice a week
im fitter than a lot of people younger than me that i
know. my brother is 36 and drives a black cab he couldnt
run 100 metres without almost dying. i intend to keep going on as long as i can maybe 60 ... dont give up
keep that blood pumping Cool
Posted by simonb (simonb), 22 January 2004
I'm 50 and started 6 yrs ago. Lost 2 stone and only had 3 colds in 6 years.
Posted by Wishy-Washy_window (Mikey Y), 22 January 2004
I,m 42 but this time of year is great for me here in Spain, I dont envy you guys back in blighty, but in the summer here its a nightmare, I ache all over after sweating all day long, last year, like you, we had a heat wave, the hottest summer for 66 years, and you can never seem to get enough fluids inside.

Regards
Mike Cool
Posted by karlosdaze (karlosdaze), 22 January 2004
Absolutely Mike, I went through 5 litres of water a day, & still didn't need to go for a waz!
Posted by Diamond_Vision (Jeff Brimble), 22 January 2004
At 53 am I the oldest on the group ? I think not ?
Life extension begins with a wfp.
Healthy New Year
Posted by bm012e7270 (CHRISTOPHER), 22 January 2004
I'M 44 STILL IN THE GAME, THIS IS MY 28YR AND HAPPY

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.