Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Equipment I'm going to buy...I think!!

Posted by Northerclean (Alex), 10 October 2003
I think I'm making the right decision in buying the following equipment:

I've done my research and I think this is a really good machine, what do you think?
Posted by woodman (woodman), 10 October 2003
Hi Alex

you won't go too far wrong with that little lot

seems like a good package to me the Ninja is a very good machine.

How much is it costing you.

The package is around the £4k mark but it includes a load of cleaning solutions and 3 days training course. It has the chewing gum removal tool aswell but I have a couple of machine which do this anyway.
Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 10 October 2003
I agree a good choice. but i know a few carpet cleaners who have bought the same package and never used the dry cleaning bits, I'd forget about the dry cleaning and use the the money you save to buy an extra turbo-dryer.

i find using 2 turbo dryers you can tell the customer when you clean thier suite it will be dry before you leave, a big selling piont.

Also a rotory is a good piece of kit to have, look out for a second hand one.

mike
Thats about standard I guess,most companies now include training in their packages for health and safety reasons.

I hope your VAT registered so you can claim the tax back  . Wink
Not to sure what to do now Mike, the dry cleaning is £695 + VAT and the blower is £260 + VAT.  Do you recommend dropping it and using the money towards a total of 3 blower or is 2 ok?

Thankfully Woodman I am VAT reg - Phew!!!

Before you buy any Turbo Dryers or Air Movers check what Dri-Eaz has to offer.

They have a new compact airmover out thats just 30cms wide and weighs just 4kg but still returns about the same amount of power, it's quiet too.

Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 10 October 2003
Hi Alex

I have to agree with Mike  AAGGHH!!!

Never thought I would say that Wink Grin

The dry cleaning attachment will hardly ever be used and there are other ways of dry cleaning if it's necessary.

I am sure that you can find something more worthwhile to spend the cash you are saving on.

Regards
Derek
Posted by Nigel_W (Nigel_W), 10 October 2003
Alex,

How about drop the dry cleaning bits and swap the kleenrite handtool for the more expensive CFR hand tool. This hand tool (with interchangeable jets) will allow you to wet clean many dry clean only fabrics as well as clean more normal wet cleanable fabrics. I think this would be an inprovement to your package of goodies and it would still leave some spare cash.

Nigel

P.S. Mike , before you say it - the Ashby's plastic tool is not similiar to the CFR tool Grin
Posted by Nigel_W (Nigel_W), 10 October 2003
Alex,

Also buy a Spraymaster or Hydroforce sprayer for applying pre-sprays and protectors. Cost about £100 and worth every penny. I think www.worldofclean.co.uk have the handtool and the sprayers.

Nigel
Posted by Ken_Wainwright (Ken Wainwright), 10 October 2003
Alex

Sounds like you've done some good research and come up with a good package. I'd go along with Mike and Derek about the occasional use of the solvent add on.  I paid a LOT less than that for my last blower, admitedley about 18 months ago. I paid £149 from Broughtons of Redditch on 01527 597567 or try Cool Customers Ltd on 0800 731 2425. I think they're from Derby way. Does your package include the new silencer? or hoses to exhaust outside? And if you like to leave your machine outside, Ashby's do a rain cover for the Ninja to keep it safe and dry. As for Mikes advice about a rotary, it's probably THE most versatile and valuable pieces of equipment you could own. I presume that you have a good quality twin motor upright vacuum cleaner.
Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 10 October 2003
Alex i carry 3 blowers on the van and never leave a suite wet, it really goes down well with customers.

how about buying a rotory and 8 bonnets, then you could also start offering  fast-drying, low moisture cleaning.

The stainless steel pump up sprayer is also a good buy, they last for ever.

Mike
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 11 October 2003
Hi Guys

You now know there is another meaning to the phrase a 'Windy Halliday' aka the turbo kid Wink Grin

Using a turbo dryer... BEWARE  Pictures, chimneys, pot pourai containers, christmas/birthday cards, ladies wearing dresses Embarassed.... that's with one dryer let alone Mike's three

The CFR handtool is an excellent piece of kit ..I will go along with that suggestion.  Superb for stains on carpets and filtration marks too.

Using this tool with the Ninja will empty your solution tank very quickly but its a small price to pay for the results.

Regards
Derek
Posted by Nigel_W (Nigel_W), 11 October 2003
Derek,

Why do you say the cfr tool will empty your waste tank quick? If you use the cfr with the conversion kit it does not dump any water (recirculate)? In fact if you use it with the red tip it takes a lifetime to empty the clean tank. It should use the water at the same rate as the kleenrite tool.

If you really want to empty your clean tank quick try the hydramaster drimaster tool!

Nigel
Posted by Cloverleaf (Cloverleaf), 11 October 2003
I would also agree with mike about the dry cleaning kit.
I'v had my Ninja 3 years and never used dry cleaning, also ads much weight to the machine, save your back!
Definatly get the silencer, Iv just bought one and cuts the noise by a huge amount.
Posted by woodman (woodman), 11 October 2003
Wow    Shocked

I bet you wished you never asked now Grin

No but seriously do check out Dri-Eaz (0800 542 9609)  their blowers are more superior in my opinion to anything mentioned on here and at reasonable price.  The compact does look a great bit of kit I'm getting one so I will let you know.

I can't imagine using a hurricane blower in a domestic situation to dry a sofa, it's a bit like breaking a window on an aircraft at 30,000 ft the client would be hanging onto the curtains. Grin

Not sure about the dry clean option on the machine I do clean a lot of curtains so it might suit someone like me but does sound a tad expensive but if you are going to market for curtain/dry cleaning could be worth it.
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 11 October 2003
Hi Guys

The CFR tool operating at a pressure of around 200psi used with a  conventional HWE machine does use more water from the solution tank...I can assure you.

Mr W ...I tend to use a turbo dryer when cleaning furniture a) to assist in drying... b) to keep the operator cool...that's me

Cheers
Derek
Posted by woodman (woodman), 14 October 2003
Hi Alex

Just an update on the Dri-Eaze compact

I have been to see them and it really is amazing you could almost clip it to your key ring it's so small. Grin

Ideal when drying furniture and in flood situations where it's tight for space ie corners,bathrooms,kitchens etc

They will be available Mid November and will cost around  £99+VAT
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 14 October 2003
Hi Mr W..

Sounds fantastic ...how many will Mike Halliday be able to get in his van? Wink Grin   He will have his own on-site wind farm.

Seriously at that price and if they perform well then they sound like a good buy... you don't happen to know how many CFM (Cubic Feet of air per Minute) they move do you?... My Dri-eze does 3500cfm

Cheers
Derek
Posted by lenpg (lenpg), 14 October 2003
Smiley
A great machine but forget the Dry cleaning system, I’ve only used it twice it drinks 5lts quicker then I can drink ½ pint of water (beer really) also the weight it’s ok if you don’t have to carry it up flights of stairs.

The money, which you will save, you can buy the following.  Here are few tools & chemicals, which I have used on numinous occasions iron, steam gun (£50 @ homebase I paid £100 similar system), hairdryer, ammonia, and white vinegar and have course the terry towels.  I forgot one blotting paper white of course.

Air movers are very good in the right environment but care should be taken! (Hope you have good insurance when using them in a confined space)

Len

Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 14 October 2003
Alex you need to stop procrastinating and get some equipment bought, otherwise you're going to end up missing the busy Xmas season,

this is the time of year we all love being a carpet cleaner, because we earn the big bucks Grin

you don't want to start in Jan because you starve Cry

mike

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.