Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Upholstery Cleaning Chemicals?

Posted by carpet_bright (carpet_bright), 28 September 2003
Could anyone please tell me their preffered cleaning chemical for upholstery. I currently use Prochem's Fabric restorer as a prespray and then extract using an acidic rinse. I find results quite limited any other ideas?

Paul - Carpet Bright
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 29 September 2003
Hi Paul

It depends on the construction and fibre blend as to the product(s) and method of cleaning that I select for cleaning upholstery fabrics.

Firstly make sure that you have selected a chemical that is designated for upholstery (you already have), allow sufficient time for the chemical to work and apply the approriate agitation (Brush, sponge, towel etc.) prior to the final rinse operation.

I have, at some point, used the chemical that you have mentioned mainly on Acrylic pile fabrics and it has worked.
Perhaps you have a specific fabric construction in mind when you say that you are failing to achieve a satisfactory result?

Regards
Derek
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 1 October 2003
Hi Paul,

The combination of B108 pre-spray followed by B109 rinse you are useing can be extreemly effective on suitable fabrics ( subject to carefull pre-testing, of course).
You might like to try one of the new 'micro-splitter' products such as 'Onestep', which contain no detergents nor optical brighteners, and being neutral are rinsed with plain water.
For restoration of previously badly cleaned wet-cleanable fabrics, the 'Neutrasoft' system, a two-pack pre-spray & rinse agent can produce remarkable results when used *EXACTLY* as per manufacturers instructions.
However, my 37 years of carpet/upholstery cleaning have taught me that there are no 'magic' products - achieving the best result is a matter of choosing the most appropriate chemicals and equipment for any particular job and applying them with all the skill and knowledge at your disposal,

Regards,

John Bolton
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 1 October 2003
John

I endorse everything you have said.

There is 'no' magic formula, if there was then an awful lot of chemical manufacturers and suppliers would be out of a job.

The trick is 'knowing' your chemicals, what they can realistically do and how to effectively use them.
There are ways of using chemicals (I am sure John that you know a few after all those years) that don't feature in the sellers handbook...safe ways of course but variations on the way they are used.

Regards
Derek
Posted by carpet_bright (carpet_bright), 1 October 2003
Thanks Guys for your comments and I appreciate sharing your experience. I have only been in the trade for a year now but things are going really well.
I have done a Prochem course on carpet & upholstery and found them extremely useful and hope to progress my training into other areas.
I fully appreciate the need to pre test a fabric which is something I always do and would never take the chance of cleaning without doing them. As mentioned there isn't a magic chemical to clean all fabrics but I wonder what your top 3 chemical combinations would be would be?  Huh
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 2 October 2003
Hi

I am currently using One-Step Fineline and it works for me.

There are some peculiarities in using it and many cleaners swear by it and others swear at it.

Agitation is the key.

Light spray, plenty of agitation, plain water rinse

Derek
Posted by carpet_bright (carpet_bright), 3 October 2003
Thanks Derek

Who manufactures this Fine Line chemical ans where can I get some to try?

Regards

Paul
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 8 October 2003
Hi Paul

Sorry I am late but I did go away for the weekend... just catching up.

One -step may be obtainable from one of your local distributors contact... Amtech UK on Tel: 0845 1304755 and they can possibly put you in touch with the nearest.

Regards
Derek

Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 8 October 2003
You can buy One-step online with free delivery from www.worldofclean.co.uk

I use it on most fabrics i clean with great results.

Mike

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.