Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

General Cleaning Issues - Floorcare, car valeting, buying and selling businesses, pricing, staffing, market research, etc.

Should I bother?

Posted by DomesticDiva (DomesticDiva), 7 February 2004
Newbie here and wondering if I should even bother to start researching setting up my own domestic cleaning company?

Any thoughts? The market seems to be saturated?

I am moving back to the UK from Oz in March 2004.
Posted by squeaky (squeaky), 7 February 2004
Its like I say to anuone wanting to start a new cleaning company "there is enough work out there for all of us but do not expect it to come to you,go out there and find it" I never worry about competition or new cleaning companies starting up, if your work is good and you give value for money you will always have work.
Posted by timeform (timeform), 10 February 2004
thats what you would think just lost a job 1 day per week clean the bill was £14 per clean  for 2 hrs work the client has got a cheaper price
Posted by April_Fresh (April_Fresh), 10 February 2004
Hi Newbie

Best bit of advise I would give anyone is:
Always give a realistic price that is going to give a reasonable profit, otherwise the domestic market is going to end up like the commercial market.

Company's quoting silly prices that leave a tiny bit or no profit at all, then find they can't even afford Insurance!! Undecided

Sharon

Posted by kcs (Marbles), 10 February 2004
Timeform

Does SW know your doing this moonlighting!!!! (he! he!)I would have charged a minimum £19.00 for the 2 hours.

Cheers!!
Andrew
Posted by keybrite (keybrite), 10 February 2004
I also charge a minimum of £20.00 per visit for 2 hrs, have also lost the odd job to a cheaper cleaner, but it has not hurt us we still have a good client base with new jobs coming in by recommendation.. we are the best cleaning team around here..
Posted by DomesticDiva (DomesticDiva), 11 February 2004
Thanks so much for your input, keep them coming.

Agreed, if you are good and priced for what you are worth you will always be busy!

DD Smiley
Posted by houseangels (House Angels), 11 February 2004
Likewise, there is plenty of work out there.
You will always get price shoppers, if they want cheap then  tell them to look in the newsagents windows!!

We charge a minimum £10 per hour with a 3 hour minimum charge and I think i'm cheap!!

As previously stated 'do a good job and the work will come in'

Good Luck

Terry
House Angels
Posted by alljays.cleaning (alljays.cleaning), 14 February 2004
We charge £15 hr with a minimum charge of £35, we find people and businesses especially are more interested in having the job done properly than quibbling over a few quid

insurance is also a good idea, I like to sleep at night  Grin
Posted by squeaky (squeaky), 15 February 2004
Timeform,

Its probably a good job that you have been outbid , in my experience this type of customer is the type that would moan for the sake of moaning it does'nt matter how good a job that you do or how cheap you are.
We have all undersold ourselves to get work but you still have to set standards for yourself.

Mark

Posted by Ian_G. (Ian_Gourlay), 15 February 2004
House Angel

Took a look at your web site to see what part of the country you are in to charge £10 per hour.

I would have thought you could get more.

I am supprised you only charge £10 an hour for carpet cleaning as this is a premium price service.

Have youaquired a copy of the cleaning course on your link site.

Looks reasonably priced compared with other offerings.,

Posted by lenpg (Len Gribble), 19 February 2004
Hi Ian

My thought exactly but I don’t think they are referring too carpet cleaning just general house cleaning, how ever if they are, I could put them to a test as I have friend and a relative who live in that area Roads Montreal and Devonshire both roads would pay of the national debt. But I wont.

Len

Posted by Ian_G. (Ian_Gourlay), 20 February 2004
Len,

I was not being picky but unless there was a get out word I missed the £10 an hour was qouted in the Carpet Cleaning Section of the Web Site.

Posted by lenpg (Len Gribble), 20 February 2004
Hi Ian

You brought up the subject of £10 hours cc quote I am surprised you only charge £10 an hour for carpet cleaning as this is a premium price service. Unquote

I do know that Terry’s company clean one of my sisters friends house and the do a blinding job so if I’m asked if I could recommend any one who dose house cleaning it would be them, sorry Terry no CARPETS OR UPHOLTORY there mine!

Len

Posted by Ian_G. (Ian_Gourlay), 20 February 2004
Where is Terry?

I am just interested in knowing if he really charges £10 an hour for carpet cleaning?

Posted by Cloverleaf (Cloverleaf), 20 February 2004
Yes you should bother, If you know what your doing.

I offer  complete home cleans from £155 two bed semi  to £325 for a 4 bed or mingin home 2 days work, I do not charge by the hour, I give a quotation first.

I also offer carpet and hard floor cleaning at competitive rates but in no way cheap.

Minimum earnings £200 per day to £350 sometimes more.

Offer cheap prices and you will get the worst jobs!

I hope things go well for you.
John

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.