Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

Make your own Pure Water System

Posted by Central (Central), 8 February 2004
Does anyone know how to make your own Pure Water System.

I want one that I can create the Pure Water at home and then transfer it through containers on a trolley and then have a pole connected.  I know you can buy these systems commercially but it will probably be a lot cheeaper to make your own.
Posted by Silly_Philly (Silly Philly), 8 February 2004
Quote:
create the Pure Water at home

This depends on the hardness of the water in your area.
If you live in a soft water area, you should be able to get away with just de-ionizing resin.  This costs around £60 - £80 for a 25litre bag.

You'll need to buy or build a vessel to house it to allow the water to flow through it while not leaving any of it dry.  It is probably easier to buy a vessel (see gapswater link below).

If you live in a hardwater area you will need a reverse osmosis unit as well.  These are not cheap, and are notoriously slow compared to DI only systems.  So its not uncommon for more than 1 RO unit to be connected in parallel so as to increase the output rate.

The RO membrane is quite delicate and requires sediment and carbon pre-filters.  Most RO units come with these, as well as a DI 'polishing' vessel to bring the TDS down to 0ppm.

It is not really possible to "make" an RO unit as these are manufactured to house a particular brand of membrane, usually the DOW FILMTEC or HYDRONAUTICS range.

Peter stocks a good range, and could probably tailor a system to your needs

His website is www.window-tools.com
another supplier is www.gapswater.co.uk

Tropical aquatics use RO filter systems, so you could look on ebay or classifieds for a second hand one, though they are usually of limited output (around 50 gallons per day.  You will need about 200gpd)

Silly
Posted by Diamond_Vision (Jeff Brimble), 8 February 2004
Hi, in reply to phil - its an excellent reply but  sorry, you do not need 200 gals/day  controversially I use Max 50 gals per day,
for years I have got by on the  slow RO system  which I also use   for drinking water ( because I also drink the pure water but you need to compensate for minerals in your diet !)
Central. There is no magic in this, look in the yellow pages for a local water treatment company tell them you want to clean windows with the water and you need 000tds ( this is how they used to clean the insides of double glazin)  and go for the cheapest sytem without all the bells and whistles that suits your area.
Posted by Silly_Philly (Silly Philly), 8 February 2004
No apology needed,  You know best!

Central - listen to this man!

Silly
Posted by Central (Central), 9 February 2004
Cheers for that, Ill conatct a water trewatment company tomorrow

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.