Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

Bad customers

Posted by allseasons (allseasons), 3 February 2004
Bad customers Angry Sad Huh Undecided Cry

Hi guys , The other day when I was out working, I was cleaning a window above a patio door that opened out, (I know that health and safety says not to put a ladder in front of a door that opens out but I don’t think my customers would put up with that.)
Any way this old daft mare opened the door or tried to with me at the top of the ladder with no success, (IT was a glass door) she tried again but harder this time knocking my ladder so hard it moved about 3inchs, after me screaming like girl  Kiss at her and dropping my tools right next to her she tried again, this time with success, so I jumped on to the grass, I was really lucky this time  Grin, but its not the first time this has happened me.
She ended up in tears because I started shouting at her saying that I wouldn’t be back and how on this earth did she not see the ladder or hear my calls.
After that i went home saying to my self that am quiting the window cleaning game and then remembered that i just ordered a pure water pole system.  Grin  

Has this happened to any of you ?

Or what has happened to you because of a customer?

Ever been ripped off by customer ? if so how  

Has any one ever thought about making a website www.badcustomer.com for all that people that don’t pay?  

mike

Posted by sham33 (sham33), 3 February 2004
Once in the middle of summer i was cleaning windows down stairs and this customer i was cleaning for had 3 kids.
Ever time i cleaned a window they proceeded to squirt the windows with water pistols.
I went back and cleaned a couple of windows they had squirted  and told them nicely not to do that again but they carried on.
So i had a quick word with they're mother, when i told her what they was doing she burst out laughing and went back into the house without telling them to stop.
I was so annoyed i borrowed the garden hose and finished the rest off with that. Then i put the price up for good measure. I never bothered going back after that.

I think thats the only time i've totally lost my rag window cleaning Angry Makes me laugh when i think about it now though.  Grin
Posted by paul (paul), 3 February 2004
ive had a few bad customers who say ill pay you next week or ill pop it over but never do bloody annoying Cry
Posted by denzle (Denzle), 3 February 2004
My pet hate is the customer that waits until youv'e gone to the rear of the house, then jumps in the car and clears off.
Denzle
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 3 February 2004
What gets me going are customers who go on holiday and  dont tell you ,so you call to collect and have no chance of getting your money as nobody is at home.
When they do come back and I see them I tell them it was a good job they didnt tell me they were going away as I would of broken  into there house and nicked everything . They get the message  Angry Angry
Posted by pussycatz (HCS), 3 February 2004
On two different occasions I have had customers open electric garage doors whilst I was cleaning the windows above them. I never moved so quick!

After they appologised but that doesn't stop you being angry with them. Angry
Posted by WavieDavie (WavieDavie), 4 February 2004
I have had customers open electric garage doors whilst I was cleaning the windows above them. I never moved so quick!

There's a good chance that the door would have missed your ladders! Most of them move back (inside the garage) and up and they don't swing out very much. Recently I actually come down my ladder to find a lady waiting in front of her car, terrified that the door would have hit my ladder. She'd activated it from the other end of the garage and driven towards the exit to see my ladders blocking her path. I never heard a thing - either from the door mechanism or her car.

Wink  New invention for window cleaners approved by HSE   Wink
Shocked  GarageDoor TransmitZapper, blocks garage door senders while you're up your ladder!!   Shocked
Cheesy BUY ONE TODAY - SPECIAL OFFER FOR READERS OF CLEANITUP!! Buy two get one free  Cheesy

Posted by stevekennedy (stevekennedy), 4 February 2004
Davie,

I have some more suggestions for new inventions:

DogZapper! Shuts up that annoying, yappy dog that runs from window to window knocking over all the ornaments!

Or CustomerZapper. Makes those bad customers simply disappear. With additional "PayUp" button for those people who hide behind the door, drive off, or pretend to be deaf!

I would pay GOOD money  Grin Grin Grin
Posted by allseasons (allseasons), 4 February 2004
DogZapper! Shuts up that annoying, yappy dog that runs from window to window knocking over all the ornaments!

Sounds good how about with a build in dog poo detector

Posted by stevekennedy (stevekennedy), 4 February 2004
Yes, the acme  PoopDetector. Avoids Dung on the Rung. And the awkward silence in the van as we all wonder "Who dropped one?"  Grin Grin Grin
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 4 February 2004
Customer Zapper
To include volume control to shut them up when they say I did not expect to see you today , can also detect bull dung
Posted by WavieDavie (WavieDavie), 4 February 2004
Dung on the Rung

Excellent phrase!

And how is it that you only discover DogDoo on the way DOWN the ladder?

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.