Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

Need more speed

Posted by Steve_T (Steve_T), 18 September 2003
Started cleaning windows a few months ago quite by accident ( I mainly do conservatories but people beg you to do their windows)and feel I'm
doing okay. I seem to be keeping everybody happy but I just cannot see how I can reach the dizzy heights of completing 4-5 average size houses an hour. By average I mean a 3/4 bed house 7-8 windows, front and back door. My best time is around 16 mins and yes I'm a bit fussy because my customers want a top quality job (Frames and sills wipe down door) If you count the time it takes to move to the next house two or three times an hour it looks like I've reached my limit or have I ?
Posted by Terry_Burrows (Terry_Burrows), 18 September 2003
Wink you may well have done,the trouble with doing houses they want more out of you! Undecidedcommercial contracts dont care,I will not clean houses,mainly for this reason,but I do sub contract with big guys!

the trouble is the people in the houses think you have all day to spend with them,you have to ern your crust! Smiley
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 18 September 2003
I would just concentrate on doing a good job and as time goes by you will get faster but i would not take much notice of the guys that say they do 6 an hour and things like that because the customers will soon get fed up with a bad job.
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 18 September 2003
Its quality not quantity, I clean every window as if I was cleaning my own (when I do clean my own ) If you do a good job word gets around and the work will come in Cool
Wink with me I still clean windows with two hands,er at the same time,I have done this for many years,you will be shocked how much time this really saves you! Cheesy
Posted by Bones (Bones), 18 September 2003
Flash git! ha ha  Wink

Terry
Do your customers know who you are?and do they all want you to show them how fast you can do it.with your turbo speed you must be on 72k per year Cool
Posted by Bones (Bones), 18 September 2003
Grin good one majestic  Grin
Winkmost of my people do know who I am,some watch in a trance! Huhto see me clean a window in seconds! Undecided
but next week could well change my profile for the better in a very big way! Wink
Posted by The_Fed_Man (The_Fed_Man), 18 September 2003
Mr Burrows Sir,

What is your preferred size of washer and squeegee on these commercial windows?  Rumour has it you have been seen with a Backflip?  Isn't that cheating? Roll Eyes
OK then Mr Turbo let us in on it what is going to happen next week Huh.Have you got kens job and are going to drop the charge for working in the city. By the way how is the fight going  Cool
Posted by KING_KLEEN (KING_KLEEN), 18 September 2003
Dear Mr Burrows,
I have seen you at the shows and admired what you have done also to the guys that try and compete with you. I do however ask just one question........what part of the country do you live in to be fortunate enough to clean those big square windows? do you not come across leadlights, fanlights and the dreaded georgian squaresHuhHuh Maybe we would be all be richer if you were to get voted in and pass a law that states everyone must have big square windows. oh and could we also do away with them ones up high too please ! im counting on you as I am e-baying my ladder.... best of luck Kiss
Posted by sham33 (sham33), 19 September 2003
Hey Terry, i saw u using that 2 hand method years ago on Meridian TV. It never crossed my mind to try that method before but mow i have mastered using both hands at once  Shocked
Posted by luap (luap), 19 September 2003
steve t

i have just started doing conservatories mainly the pvc and of course i have to do the windows aswell....i was wondering how you do the roofs..what do you use tools wise. any comments would be appreiciated.

i saw terry at the nec and thought to myself...i could not work that fast with a gun to my head  Cheesy
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 19 September 2003
Hi Paul
         I just use extension poles and applicator and squeegee with GG4 on my roofs and they come out fine. Cheesy

Steve Lowe
Posted by Terry_Burrows (Terry_Burrows), 19 September 2003
Wink Hi guys! Smiley another busy day! for our  majestic!
if I can get the go ahead today,I will let you all in on the next week thing! Huh,as for kleen man! yes I clean all sorts of windows leads an all!  I live in essex!I came from london I have been in essex for 24 years!

the fed man tut tut you little jester you! Grin Wink
Posted by Steve_T (Steve_T), 22 September 2003
LUAP

I clean conservatory roofs with a Unger water fed brush which has a detergent tablet dispencer. I use this piece of equipment with a set of dedicated conservatory roof ladders which have been improved and altered  to my specification so I can reach and clean the cresting and finial of just about any shape of conservatory I also do polycarbonate upgrades and repairs ( there are many very poorly put together conservatories out there) Window cleaning keeps me ticking over but I'm busy enough not to look for any more.

Steve Tate
Conservatory Care

Posted by Steve_T (Steve_T), 22 September 2003
Thanks Terry Steve and Majestic. Your comments are spot on .

Steve Tate
Posted by luap (luap), 23 September 2003
thanks for that steve(both) i have used dedicated ladders( my mates)and they make all the difference..he got them from the "nec show" for £300 they should of been £450..a little bit dear for me at the moment. i am keeping my ear to the floor for a set....thanks fr the reply(s)

paul.

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.