Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Technical Advise

Posted by Tony_Browning (Tony_Browning), 2 February 2004
Hi All!
My portable has a problem with the heater
(3kw with thermostat)
I turn it on and it heats for about 3 seconds then stops for about 15 sec, then on again for 3 sec...so on.
The thermostat dial clicks as it should at correct temperatures....and the lights on.
What d'ya rekon?   Huh
Rgds
Tony
Posted by MB (Mark Betts), 2 February 2004
Tony

What portable is it?

Loose wire?

Thermostat on way out?

I had similar prob with my machine.

In the end the element was knacked!!!!  So it was replaced.

Cheers

Mark

Posted by Phil_@_Deep_Clean (Phil_@_Deep_Clean), 2 February 2004
Tony,

I once had that, my problem was the element kept getting badly scaled up due to the water we have around here.

De-scale it if thats the case and use Prochem F&F Rinse every so often to keep the scayling (spell) down.

Might work

Phil
Posted by ALEXDH (ALEXDH), 2 February 2004
What type of machine is it dear chap

Could be a failing or poorly grounded thermocouple

The connector spades must be free and clean of build up and corrosion in order for the couple to function properly, periodic cleaning is recommended.

Thermocouples should be inspected for dents, kinks, and splits in the stainless steel sheath.

or perhaps the element is pulling too much current.

I would try a new thermocouple wired in to check as i gues this would be the cheapest repair ,unless you can see significant scaling on the element.

Posted by ALEXDH (ALEXDH), 2 February 2004
Tell you what its not worth fitting a new thermocouple just replace the whole stat, I have only looked quick but this is my ninja one i think.

Farnell are a little pricey but they have most stuff.

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/catalog/viewproductdetails.jsp;jsessionid=Z5MRZ3VGDPLBTQFIAEXCFE4AVAAS2IV3?prodId=560248

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.