Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Extracta excel or ninja?

Posted by stevegunn (Steve Gunn), 12 October 2003
Can anyone give me some advice which is best.The ninja really looks the business but extracta are local for me.So can anyone give me some advice to which one to go for Huh
Posted by jimmy (jimmy), 12 October 2003
Hi Steve

Extracta products is also in my area. I purchased an Extracta Excel about a year ago. Have done work for family and friends and have currently started up in business, using the machine nearly everyday. Have replaced one vacuum motor recently £295, valve on hand tool £43 and now my psi switch is broke. Will find out how much that will cost tomorrow morning. Keep in mind got six months warranty with my vacuum motor which is not alot of warranty for the price, also have another motor which could possibly go at any time and a service costs £230 + VAT by Extracta. The machine is very heavy for a one man operator, keeping in mind I am 6ft 3ins and just as wide, recommend extension hosed as a must. Whatever you read or whatever you see the Excel will not fit in any hatchback vehicle. You will need a big vehicle as I have recently experienced. I am also wondering myself if I would of been better off buying a Ninja but for the same reason as you Extracta is on the doorstep and quite handy for advice and chemicals. Would love to go on some of the training courses such as prochem/NCCA but they are too far away. Just my views, you will just have to be like me and wait for some of the more experienced members opinions which are worth waiting for.

Jimmy
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 12 October 2003
Hi Steve

I have already answered this almost same question in the previous post only substitute Steempro for Extracta Excel

I have had two Excels over the years...superb machine ... only downside, if you could call it one, is that replacing the brushes on the pump is frustrating.. their is very little room to get your hands in to undo the bolts....unless you have small hands.

After a few times, a few grazed nuckles and the odd swearword I have got it down to a fine art now.
Service from Extracta is excellent... call them for parts and they are there the following day.

Regards
Derek
Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 12 October 2003
I think the answer here is to buy local and do your own servicing! vac motors cost £120 and all it takes is undo 3 bolts and 2 wires and their outl

one of the best things you can do is open up your machine and start working out how it works. most machines are made up of just 3 moving parts plus a few switches.

if extracta are close then buy one of them because if anything goes wrong you can pop aong and get it fixed, a carpet cleaner in my town bought a ninja and it cost £48 every time he send it back ( 3 times in one year)

Also I would never buy a ninja because of who sells them.

Mike
Sorry but i seem to misled you I'm looking for a new machine i already have an extracta excel which i've had for three years and had no problems with it.But i do want a new machine the excel is quite bulky and heavy where as the ninja looks more portable.Even the prochem machine looks easier to move about.I agree the service from brian at extracta is excellent. But after coming on this board and reading everyones comments i need to update my machine.
on 10/12/03 at 20:25:15, mike_halliday wrote:
I think the answer here is to buy local and do your own servicing! vac motors cost £120 and all it takes is undo 3 bolts and 2 wires and their outl

one of the best things you can do is open up your machine and start working out how it works. most machines are made up of just 3 moving parts plus a few switches.

if extracta are close then buy one of them because if anything goes wrong you can pop aong and get it fixed, a carpet cleaner in my town bought a ninja and it cost £48 every time he send it back ( 3 times in one year)

Also I would never buy a ninja because of who sells them.
Mike

A little animosity between the two of youHuh??

Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 12 October 2003
Hi Mike

Don't just write Ashby's off because YOU may have had a bad experience... I know many very satisfied Ninja users who just keep going back for more of the same.

Derek Ashby is one of the most inventive people in the business and there is ALWAYS something new when you visit his stand at a show

Derek

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.