Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

`Dog -Eared` Channels Technical Questions

Posted by L.Doubtfire (L.Doubtfire), 8 April 2004
Whe are well into the week when quite a few members were going to put `dog-earing`
channels into practise.So how are thing going? Can I ask all you `dog-earers`a few technical
pointers and hope for some replies.?? Which material(brass,stainless,aluminium,even Sorbo!!!
as I understand it) are best  for `dog-earing`? How do you keep your rubber in position when
your using the `notch` or set-in method on modern windows with mouldings? i.e. brass end
clip,spring loaded teeth grip handle?  or other? Lastly,but possibly the most important,which
rubbers are most compatible? Anyone using them in conjunction with a `two-in-one` system?
i.e. Peter Fogwills `SqueegeMates` the Ettore `Back-Flip`.??  The Pulex economy `two-in-one`
wash system? Even a `Wagtail` combi. All input and replies much appreciated.

Lewis Doubtfire, Gleem Clean (Blade Runner)

Posted by WavieDavie (WavieDavie), 8 April 2004
Hi Lewis,

Number One - A big thankyou to you for bringing this up, it took me a while to sift through the various explanations and versions, the pictures certainly helped, but I thought I'd give it a bash, and I'm glad I did.

I use Unger ErgoTec handles and channels (the handle holds the rubber in place in the channel) and normally have about 1/8th inch of Pulex soft rubber proud of each channel end. 15ml per gallon of GG3 with just a TINY squirt of Fairy so we can see where we're going, or we've been, on shopfronts. This usually produces a close finish to the frames and very little detailing is required, and mostly I just use the applicator and small blade to wipe the sill or Contico blue microfibre cloth for a one-pass wipe, but Unger large green microfibre cloth for detailing or "scrim" work - I know, each to his own.

Plan B
Nothing else has changed, but the channels are now dog-eared and the rubber is now trimmed to show about half of what we used to.

Result?
Mmmwah, Mmmwah, excellence itself - I was like a kid with a new toy, kept looking back to see if ANYTHING was going to show on the upright edges - not a thing. So far, I don't find I'm going through rubber blade any faster either.

Verdict?
Lewis, you am de MAN !!  Cool

Any ideas how it started? We reckon that some lazy window cleaner dropped his squeegee from a height, didn't look at it, or couldn't be bothered to fix the channel, and then wondered how he was getting a better job on one side of the window.

All the best, and thanks again.
Posted by fez (fez), 8 April 2004
I'm doing more or less the same as Mr Wavie.

15ml GG3 but with no Fairy.

Either Unger Ergotech stainless steel S channel now dog-eared or an Ettore stainless also dog-eared.

Squeegee lengths - 10,12 & 14"

Rubbers -  Unger in the Unger channel (soft)
Ettore or Pulex in the Ettore channel (also soft).

Normally, I detail with one pass of a grade 1 scrim; but.... since dog-earing, NO detailing at all on most windows. I've cut the time in half on most houses - honest!  If you haven't tried it, you need to give it a go.

The change is as good as the switch to GG3/4.

Try it - you'll like it! Grin

Steve.

Oh, and as for rubber wear, I've not noticed any difference.
Posted by WavieDavie (WavieDavie), 8 April 2004
Ooops, sorry

6, 10, 14 and 18" channels.

Mr Wavie indeed Wink
Posted by Tam1967 (T.W.C), 8 April 2004
Lewis, Thanks.

Sq+De=Work time - 1hr + £32 = Cool

Technical enough for you  Grin

No, seriously worker and me finally sussed this today and both finished almost 1 hour early and £32 worth of houses further down the street than last clean Smiley

Using Unger brass 14" squeg with green plastic clips with Standard Pulex Rubber, no notches.

i dont have the standard 1/8 inch rubber overhanging at end of squeegee, i am closer to 1.5mm overhang.

at start of week i was using 2 rubbers a day both sides, but with trial and error have found that if dogear is in to far this rips rubber, today only used 1 rubber 1side.

T.W.C

Posted by dave0123 (dave0123), 9 April 2004
Hello

I still dont no how to dog ear a channel or what ever you hqve to do? could someone please explain it to me with abit more information than just saying the channels which is this.

Could someone please help me out i am using an ettore brass.

thanks very much dave Smiley
Posted by peterf (peterf), 10 April 2004
on 04/08/04 at 19:30:53, WavieDavie wrote:
Hi Lewis,

I use Unger ErgoTec handles and channels (the handle holds the rubber in place in the channel) and normally have about 1/8th inch of Pulex soft rubber proud of each channel end. 15ml per gallon of GG3 with just a TINY squirt of Fairy so we can see where we're going, or we've been, on shopfronts. This usually produces a close finish to the frames and very little detailing is required, and mostly I just use the applicator and small blade to wipe the sill or Contico blue microfibre cloth for a one-pass wipe, but Unger large green microfibre cloth for detailing or "scrim" work - I know, each to his own.

At least a quarter of the time on a window is taken up by detailing, don't detail and it is amazing how much more you can get done per hour, and you don't have any washing to do at night.  I think I have mentioned on here before, learn to clean windows without detailing, experiment and try out the things people suggest.  

I had my dad help me about 15 years ago and he insisted on detailing every window, I kept telling him he could leave the window in a state that no detailing would be necessary but he wouldn't have it.  One day I hid his scrim, he was a lot slower in the short term, but long term he speeded up no end.  I did give him it back and commented every time he took it out to use, eventually he did learn to clean without it.

Another thing you have to remember is when you wipe a scrim down the edge of the glass it is picking up water and grime from the moulding, this can be smeared on the window, and sometimes takes a second swipe to get it clean.  If you look really close you can sometimes see a slight smearing, and scrim fibres at the sides you have wiped. A squeegee taking everything off the glass apart from being much quicker, is also much cleaner.

Peter

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.