Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

help needed

Posted by UNIQUE_FLOORING (UNIQUE_FLOORING), 3 February 2004
i know this question has been asked many times before but all your help would be appreciated.
i have been involved in the carpet/flooring trade for many years and i am looking for some extra income working evenings and weekends.
i havnt got much money to invest in a machine and also advertising.
there is a prochem machine on ebay i know it hasnt got a heater, is this going to cause me problems if so can i get one fitted and how much, and do you think this is a decent machine as a starterHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh

any help or advice with regards to getting started would be a great help.
thanks

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2591513827&category=633&rd=1#ebayphotohosting
Posted by Ken_Wainwright (Ken Wainwright), 3 February 2004
Hi Unique and welcome,

This machine was, for many years, the backbone of our industry. Although now superceded as a top end performer, it can still produce excellent results in the hands of a trained tech. I believe this particular machine is being sold by our own Robert O on this board. I hate to say this, but you couldn't wish to meet a nicer (Yuk!) person and very knowledgeable too. Whichever machine you eventually buy, I'd strongly recommend training as your number one priority.  Don't worry too much about the lack of a heater as you can request the client to have some hot water available in the tap. These machines only use kettle type elements anyway, so they're very easy to fit, if you have the right tools.
Safe and happy cleaningSmiley
Ken

Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 3 February 2004
I used one of these machines for 2 years and they do a decent job, they're not 'top of the range' but OK as a starter unit

Mike
Posted by ALEXDH (ALEXDH), 3 February 2004
I can vouch for robert O he kindly helped me out with a few bits and bobs.

A lovely fella.
i agree training is very important, as i dont want to get involved in the less expensive end of the market.
although i only expect to be doing this part time i still want to be able to offer a professional service.
so what about the heater issue?
could consider an inline heater, although i have heard of reliability concerns with them.
any idea of cost on that alex?
Oooh now there are a few different types i know of , I am still a newby so if others know better please coorect me.
I dont know the prices so some of the other should be able to help I can link you too some website and suppliers below

http://www.ashbys-uk.com/equipmen/3kwheat.html

This ones a bit of  beast can be quite high temperatures i have heard reliabilty concerns i think

http://www.ashbys-uk.com/equipmen/v2steam.html

I'll pop a couple of others on when I dig them out

Posted by Robert_O (Robert_O), 3 February 2004
Oaaah shucks guys Embarassed

Your tenners are in the post!!! Grin Wink

Posted by Shaun_Ashmore (Shaun_Ashmore), 3 February 2004
Don't worry about the heater, hot tap water will do, you can do better with the correct training and chem.

Shaun  
Posted by stevegunn (Steve Gunn), 3 February 2004
on 02/03/04 at 21:11:04, ALEXDH wrote:
Oooh now there are a few different types i know of , I am still a newby so if others know better please coorect me.
I dont know the prices so some of the other should be able to help I can link you too some website and suppliers below

http://www.ashbys-uk.com/equipmen/3kwheat.html

This ones a bit of  beast can be quite high temperatures i have heard reliabilty concerns i think

http://www.ashbys-uk.com/equipmen/v2steam.html

I'll pop a couple of others on when I dig them out

http://www.carpetcleaningworld.com/qd000000.html

i definatly need to invest in training but what comes first the machine or the training?

Ideally training
I am a newby as i say often but budget for some heat later on at least. it all adds to your personal cleaning pie.
Posted by lenpg (Len Gribble), 3 February 2004
GrinHi unique

You have answered you own question would you buy a car say £20k then learn to drive which takes you three attempts?

Len

good point well put
Posted by Robert_O (Robert_O), 3 February 2004
Hi Unique

I could say buy my machine buy my machine, but the guys are absolutely right, you should find out precisely what system is going to be more appropriate for yours  and most importantly your clients requirements.

What market are you headed for,domestic or commercial? Who are your operatives, women or men? If commercial are drying times more of an issue. Is quietness of operation an important factor? Extraction has the versitility to deal with Upholstery, curtains, as well as carpet, but the downside is in general it takes longer to dry.

Hot water extraction whilst being a great and versatile system is only one process of many available out there.

All systems have negative and positive attributes, and none is best in every scenario. Often it is a case of horses for courses, and eventually you may build up sufficient kit to be selective in the most appropriate process in any given situation.

Hope that gives you something to think about.

Regards

Robert

Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 4 February 2004
Hi Unique

There is a two day training course being run by the NCCA (National Carpet Cleaners Association) in a couple of weeks time... that would get you up and running with all the information you require.

Contact the NCCA on Tel: 0116 2719550

Regards
Derek

ps...  Who's this Robert 'O' fella......Do I know him? More to the point do I 'WANT' to know him. Wink  Grin

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.