Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

No Chemicals

Posted by Northerclean (Alex), 8 December 2003
Got a guy in my area using the following ad:
HALF PRICE
carpets and upholstery cleaning, stream/ dry cleaning fast drying/ no soaking.
FREE STAINGUARD
FREE DEODORISER

I called this guy and he's charging .25p sq ft and he doesn't use chemicals, told me he does loads of commercial work and has stainguard left over for domestic.

What do you think to this as I think .50p sq ft is alot for full price......if he is offering half price!

Posted by paul_moss (paul_moss), 8 December 2003
How does he clean with out chemicals?
Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 8 December 2003
How does he deoderise & protect without chemicals?

where abouts are you based?

Advertising zero chemical cleaning is some I've done in the past, You can clean carpets just using very hot water , most man-made fibres can carpet can be easily cleaned using just water as long as there is'nt any difficult stains

25p a ft is a good rate, he may be using a play on words, does he say half 'his' price or just half price. if some one around you does charge 50p a ft then he is 'half price'

Mike
Posted by Fintan_Coll (Fintan_Coll), 8 December 2003
Of course One Step is neither a detergent or a chemical. I use this angle sometimes especially to customers allergic to chemicals.
Posted by Ken_Wainwright (Ken Wainwright), 9 December 2003
Everything we clean with is a chemical. Water and steam are chemicals (Chemical formula is H2O). And it has lots of additives/impurities too. One Step is a chemical. I try not to use the word CHEMICAL to my customers. I say cleaning solution Smiley

Safe and happy cleaningSmiley
Ken
Posted by Ian_G. (Ian_G.), 10 December 2003
I agree with Ken, even the carpet is chemical.

I would have thought 25p with stainguard is amasingly cheap.

Does anyone know where you can buy stainguard as my origional supplier disapeared.

Regards

Ian
Posted by nick.solution (nick.solution), 12 December 2003
having experienced the Half price scam I contacted trading standards there replywas  as long as the advertising company has charge the full price at some time they can offer half price cleaning , aren't they a great Angry help

Nick at Solution
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 13 December 2003
Hi Nick

Welcome aboard...

You are absolutely right, Trading Standards are not much help.

I spoke to a high ranking Trading Standards officer some years ago on behalf of the NCCA. He said that he couldn't act against people using our logo and name as it wasn't a registered Trade Mark
Two and a half years later and at a cost of several thousand pounds the NCCA had registered the Trade Mark name and logo.
Trading Standards are still reluctant to prosecute mainly I suppose through lack of funds. They do issue strong warnings with a view to prosecution if it continues but its a long laborous process

The NCCA are currently looking at several ways of dealing with this matter themselves.

Kind regards
Derek

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.