Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

price £££££ (Southerners charge too much)

Posted by mark1 (mark1), 12 January 2004
reading some topics,i think you guys south of the border
take 2 long to clean a house and charge to much,please dont come back to me saying your making sure the job is done right.
Posted by fez (fez), 12 January 2004
Eh? Huh Elaborate a little, how long do you take and what do you charge?

Oh, and you shouldn't undersell yourself.
3 bed house patio door £3.50

Posted by APS_PureWash_Sys (APS_PureWash_Sys), 12 January 2004
that sounds like a hornets nest waiting for a stir
Posted by shinebright (shinebright), 12 January 2004
I have just gained the contract at my gym. I priced the job at £25 per hour. I felt a little cheeky at the price as I can do it while I am there.

I have an autistic son who I have just arranged a personal trainer to spend an hour per week with him. He charges me £25 per hour, I don't feel bad anymore.

I had my car serviced the other day. £40 per hour.

I do not think that I am charging too much when I price my work at £20 per hour, in fact I am beginning to think that I am robbing myself. If you lads like to wear those tartan skirts and price yourselves at womens rates, then that is your decision. I will charge what I am worth.
so how much would yous charge££££££££

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
i guide myself on £25 an hour,but uv got some guys on here taking the p with the £ they charge
I agree Mark.

I am sure that your femail customers are happy to pay you £25 ph to look up your tartan skirt as you climb the ladder.

I was advised to charge £45 ph on commercial work, but I am finding that if I exceed £30 ph I struggle to gain the contract.
Posted by Staybright (Staybright), 12 January 2004
Hi All

I charge between 20-30 an hour sometimes more depending on how well I sell our services!!.
If you can get away with high prices you would be a mugg if you didn't, Basically the moral of the story in the UK today (or maybe just down south) is it's dog eat dog, eat or be eaten the choice is yours my friend !!!
If you have loads of regular and potential  work you can afford to take risks. Cool

Posted by peterf (peterf), 12 January 2004
Two things have to be considered here, price of job and how long it takes to complete.  As an example, I was in the USA a few years ago and went out with a window cleaner for the day; we stopped in a shopping mall because he had a shop to price.  For a bit of fun we decided to price the job separately then tell each other what price we had come up with. He priced it at exactly double what I priced, and estimated the job would take exactly double the time I had estimated.  Result was both of us would be working for the same amount of money per hour, both of us would leave the windows at the same standard of cleanliness. I would be working faster than him wasting more energy, but I would have more chance of getting the job with my price.

What is best, I dont know, depends on your area and who works in it.

Peter

Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 13 January 2004
I think you should charge the maximum amount that the market you are in will let you. Look at other trades and you will see that £25-£30 an hour is reasonable in the south. I had to pay £130 for two keys for my van last week Shocked  and it probably took ford no more than 15 minutes Sad

Steve
Posted by samm (samm), 13 January 2004
I have to agree, I'd love to charge (my favourite) customers not much, but that dont pay the bills, but like everybody says lots of trades charge silly money & if u dont like it they tell u to go somewhere else.
I think u have to charge (like everybody says go for 25+) an abosolute minimum of £15 per hour,

I live down south, I know things are cheaper up north but 3.50 sounds way too cheap is this the norm for a 3 bed semi up there Huh,  I'd charge £6 /£7 minimum down here (South West)

sam
Posted by fez (fez), 13 January 2004
Let's face it, £3.50 for a 3 bed semi IS too cheap; no matter where you are in the country. I find that if you offer an honest, reliable service that your customers can trust then they are prepared to pay for it.

Those potential customers who complain at your pricing, usually aren't worth having as they are usually more trouble than they are worth.

As for £3.50, I charge more than that (£4) for a downstairs one bedroom flat. Angry
Posted by g_griffin (g_griffin), 13 January 2004
on 01/12/04 at 22:52:44, shinebright wrote:
I have just gained the contract at my gym. I priced the job at £25 per hour. I felt a little cheeky at the price as I can do it while I am there.

I have an autistic son who I have just arranged a personal trainer to spend an hour per week with him. He charges me £25 per hour, I don't feel bad anymore.

I had my car serviced the other day. £40 per hour.

I do not think that I am charging too much when I price my work at £20 per hour, in fact I am beginning to think that I am robbing myself. If you lads like to wear those tartan skirts and price yourselves at womens rates, then that is your decision. I will charge what I am worth

Sexist and racist  Shocked

Mark,
       Are you not a bit envious? I don`t charge so much so I know I am.  Angry  Grin

Gerry.

on 01/12/04 at 22:50:59, mark1 wrote:
3 bed house patio door £3.50

Hi Mark
          How many of these do you do an hour Huh

Steve
Posted by mark1 (mark1), 13 January 2004
steve i do about 8 or 9 an hour
£4 for a 1 bed flat Shocked Shocked Shockeddownstairs ur havin a laugh Smiley Smiley Smiley
I am speechless Shocked Grin

Steve
Hi Mark
          I would price my work at £25 an hour and would expect to be able to clean about three, Three bedroom semis an hour if they are close together.

Steve
on 01/13/04 at 17:00:05, Steve Lowe wrote:
Hi Mark
          I would price my work at £25 an hour and would expect to be able to clean about three, Three bedroom semis an hour if they are close together.

Steve

You and me both, I charge £7- £8 for a three bed semi. I aim for three an hour - £20 -£25 per hour.

How anyone could do 8 - 9 semis per hour on their own is completely beyond me!

steve 4 an hour you must have bigger houses down there

on 01/13/04 at 16:50:20, mark1 wrote:
£4 for a 1 bed flat Shocked Shocked Shockeddownstairs ur havin a laugh Smiley Smiley Smiley

Actually, my customers are very happy with that price. Grin I don't think that I rip anyone off Smiley.
any scottish cleaners out there with a price guide

how long does that take u fez Huh Huh5 mins
Posted by peterf (peterf), 13 January 2004
£5 or £6 for a semi, without a conservatory.

Peter
Posted by Polepro (Polepro), 13 January 2004
Think about it like this, no one pays you when you're sick, on bank holidays or any other holiday for that matter. Look at Christmas, two weeks without income and then if the weather is bad you could loose more days still. Then you've got other things to pay for, some that you have'nt allowed for, an accident, a blown engine, kit to replace.

Every year I see a new lot of window cleaners come and go. Why? there's loads of work, its simply that they did not charge enough to sustain themselves.

Charge as much as you think the customer can stand, provide the highest level of service and reduce the time on each job by being efficient and well practiced at your skill. This way you will push your hourly rate up to £40 plus where it should be!

Tom
a 3 bed semi peter,new build Huh Huh
Hi Tom
         What part of the country are you in to be able to get £40+ an hour Huh

Steve
on 01/13/04 at 17:44:19, mark1 wrote:
how long does that take u fez Huh Huh5 mins

10 - 15 minutes. Grin

Posted by Staybright (Staybright), 13 January 2004

To add another comparison, I used to work as a locksmith in the city. We used to charge 140.00 pound to open and change a yale lock, this would take me about 5 mins tops and the cost of the lock is 4.00. Now thats what I would call a rip off but at the end of the day that customer needed me and my skills at that moment in time and paid accordingly!! same applies to window cleaning, they need/want us, our job is to find them thats all. Cool
on 01/13/04 at 17:50:04, mark1 wrote:
a 3 bed semi peter,new build Huh Huh

Yes

Peter

on 01/13/04 at 17:00:05, Steve Lowe wrote:
Hi Mark

Steve

Steve, 3 an hour dosnt seem very much, that is 20 minutes each, seems a very long time on the one house.

If you cut that time in half you would be on £50.00 per hour.

Peter

Hi Peter,
            How many would you do in an hour Huh I don't know if the accepted standards are different in the South but i have never known anyone do six an hour consistently all day  Shocked

Steve
Anyone in the South got any feedback Huh It does seem different but why Huh

Steve
It seems to me everyone is too concerned about what others are earning. I don`t make 20-25 pound per hour although I`d like to it doesn`t mean I`m going out tomorrow and demanding it.

What happens if someone comes on and say they make 100 pound an hour do we all tell our customers thats what you`re now going to be charged beacause "such a body" from down "wheres it called" charges.

The grass is not always greener.
But I am when I read what you  Lips Sealed`s make.  Grin

Gerry.
Posted by sham33 (sham33), 13 January 2004
Im from the south east and i do 3 to 4 semis an hour at £8 each. If this guy does 9 in a hour im not surprized he cant charge more than £3.50. Bet theres run marks down the window and black sills.
Hi Gerry
           I am not really interested in how much anyone is earning. I am just worried that i am getting past it being only able to do three an hour Grin Roll Eyes Grin

Steve
Posted by Bones (Bones), 13 January 2004
on 01/13/04 at 16:46:48, mark1 wrote:
steve i do about 8 or 9 an hour

You guy's smell anythingHuh

Better tell terry we've found someone to beat his world record!!

I know, it smell's like Poo!

Mikey
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 13 January 2004
Is all your work in the one street , do you have anyone helping you Cool
Steve,

I couldn`t do or see how anyone can do 8 or 9 an hour, not properly anyway.
 I could do 3 maximum but I don`t flog myself anymore.

This could mean I`m past it too  Shocked

Gerry.
ps I wish my customers could read this and see what you lot charge.
no run marks or black sills,you guys are two greedy and to slow,some young pup is going 2 come along one day, under cut you and take it all away.infact i think i will change my postcode Grin Grin Grin
Me thinks you is just a wind up mate,  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Mikey

Hi Mark
          If you can do 8 or nine an hour you wouldn't be able to take it away. My customers want and get a first class job which you obviously couldn't give Grin Wink

Steve
How many hours a day do you work Huh Cool
on 01/13/04 at 21:25:44, Majestic wrote:
How many hours a day do you work Huh Cool

Probably 36hrs a day I reckon

Mikey

More at the weekend Grin Cool
Posted by sean_rimmer (Dom Matrix aka BRODEX), 13 January 2004
Great thread fellas, lots of emotional stuff...just goes to show how emotive it all gets when money versus's quality is discussed. Nobody has mentioned pole work, yet I notice all the usual suspects making comments. Are all prices quoted/no.s houses per hour based on hand/ladder work? I dont know...Can some one enlighten me?
Dom
Posted by Neil (wylie), 13 January 2004
Nobody has mentioned pole work,  Shocked
I wonder why Huh

Please, Please, Please, don't bring poles into this one!! Arghh!! Grin Grin Grin

I thought your post was sounding good for the first sentence mate Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Mikey
Just when you thought it was safe to go into the water Cool
Guy's, let's shut the door on this thread and leave Mark and Dom in here together, Maybe we could set up a pay to view Grin Grin

Mikey
Posted by sean_rimmer (Dom Matrix aka BRODEX), 13 January 2004
Dom Dom Dom Dom Dom Dom Dom........(Jaws Music.1)
I assume all numbers quoted are hand ladder work then..?
Dom
on 01/13/04 at 21:40:18, Dom Matrix aka BRODEX wrote:
Dom Dom Dom Dom Dom Dom Dom........(Jaws Music.1)

Dom, we all know you're a Shark Roll Eyes Wink Grin

Mikey
on 01/13/04 at 20:09:50, Steve Lowe wrote:
Hi Peter,
            How many would you do in an hour Huh I don't know if the accepted standards are different in the South but i have never known anyone do six an hour consistently all day  Shocked

Steve

Not now but when I did, and I am talking about ladder work, I would do one in 10 minutes easy.
I dont know if it is smaller than yours but each one would have about 8 to 10 windows.  

I never did work a full day, my days work consisted of around 4 hours, but I did enough in that time to earn a living.

Most other people in my area would work at about half the speed I worked at, you dont have to be running around you just need to work as efficiently as possible.

Peter

Peter was that with your pole Cool
on 01/13/04 at 22:06:40, Majestic wrote:
Peter was that with your pole Cool

No with ladders.

Peter

Posted by bm012e7270 (bm012e7270), 13 January 2004
I CHARGE £7 FOR A 3 BEDROOM HOUSE IN THE WEST MIDLANDS
One example of working more efficiently is not detailing the windows, that can take nearly as long as soaping up, and sometimes if you leave a lot behind, it can take as long as soaping and squeegeeing.  I dont mean leave the windows a mess, I mean don't leave anything behind to detail.  

When I worked with scrims I only cleaned it out about once a week, no I didn't go about with a dirty scrim, I just very rarely used it.

Peter

Hi Peter
           How did you do quarter lights without a scrim Huh

Steve
on 01/13/04 at 22:27:14, Steve Lowe wrote:
Hi Peter
           How did you do quarter lights without a scrim Huh

Steve

I did them with a squeegee. I did have a scrim; I just never used it much.  I would use the scrim sometimes on quarter lights if there was not much on them, but mostly a squeegee.

Peter

I did Georgian squares with a squeegee as well.

Peter

Posted by sw_windows (sw_windows), 14 January 2004
i charge £10 for a 3 bed semi ,sometimes even more if its out of my village, i live in the country,
nobody seems to mind solicitors charging £100 per hour
and they have nt got any morales or scruples!
Posted by paul (paul), 15 January 2004
I CHARGE BETWEEN £8 & £12.00 PER A 3 BED SEMI INC VAT AND THEY THINK ITS A GREAT PRICE Kiss
Posted by pdhanson (Silly Philly), 15 January 2004
We would charge about £12 for a 3 bed semi (bristol)

More if it was a pain in the neck to do.  More for leaded because we hate doing them.

Remember, the cost of living is higher down here in the south, so you need to charge more.

Silly
Posted by mogs (mogs), 15 January 2004
hi guys...
one of the best ways i find of pricing houses is to charge an average of fifty pence per window. tho i wud charge a pound for the likes of goergen windows r similar. norm works out pretty fair but u can ask other window cleaners in ur area for there average....
norm works out ok for me, tho dont be afraid to add a bit as sum potential customers will haggle!!! Grin Grin
Posted by Terry_Burrows (Terry_Burrows), 15 January 2004
WinkI always charge per job never give an hourly rate,some big companys try to stich you up Angryspeaking
that I have been and done that one before,each job should stand on its own Winkthe money we get done here
is very good,but we do not clean houses,not enough
dosh in it! Roll Eyes
Posted by easycleanwindows (easycleanwindows), 15 January 2004
We finished building clean before christmas the builders paid us £75.00 per hour two of us 4 days at 10 hrs each day.Ill let you work out the sums but it was a nice earner
Posted by sw_windows (sw_windows), 15 January 2004
Kiss
hey Easyclean,I would like to get into builders clean at some point in the near future , is there any other cleanining agents you need to use apart from fairy, and do you lot use pole systems on normal sized new houses? or do window cleaners still use squeeges on them?
any help would be much appreciated.does £30 an hour sound right for this kind of work
Posted by Bones (Bones), 15 January 2004
on 01/15/04 at 20:05:26, sw_windows wrote:
Kiss
is there any other cleanining agents you need to use apart from fairy

Hi SW,

I'm on my 8th builders clean (windows & frames only) on a new estate and have a bucket full of bit's and bob's white spirit the lot, but I always seem to use more than anything else "Oil-Flo 141". It seems to move evertything and does not leave a greasy film on the glass when you are ready to wash it.
As for pricing that £30 an hour sounds good, I do mine through a cleaning contractor who sub me to do the windows and they pay me as soon as i invoice them.

Mikey

8 cleans done, only another 115 to go Grin Cool Grin Not bad for a Newbie!!
Posted by Neil (wylie), 15 January 2004
Hi Bones
I have also been doin some Builders cleans through a cleaning company
I put one of my flyers through her home door and she took me on the next day  Grin
I do her house every month and new builds when they are ready.
so far i have done about 15 with no end in sight.
She pays well and does not keep me waiting more than a week after invioce.
WHO SAYS FLYERS DONT WORK. Wink
so far I have not needed anything more than GG4 and a scraper.
I even got a christmas card saying how pleased they were with my work Cheesy
Stuff like that makes me sure I did the right thing getting into this game Grin
Posted by Bones (Bones), 15 January 2004
Wylie,

Story sounds near enuf like mine!! It was my mates mother, popped round with a card, she said she needed a WC, next thing i know i got a building site to myself!  Grin

Mikey
Posted by Neil (wylie), 15 January 2004
I try to save up a few new builds for wet days
Put on wet weather gear and get stuck in I get some sideways looks from the builders but they seem to be used to me now. :- Wink
They want the muck and stuff of so they dont care about a bit of rain besides they often call me back to do the same place the day before people move in which is great coz I get paid twice for the same house Grin (not as much second time)
Posted by gibbouk (gibbouk), 15 January 2004
i am in norfolk and must admit that round here we cant get away with high prices like i have sen others charge on here, ie £10 for a basic terraced house. but get real i have a minimum price on £4, for a downstairs flat that is a profesional price. semi price here is £7. a recent thing i have come across is the new customer telling me the price they want to pay.   a customer told me that she was prepared to pay £8. i quoted £12 for a job. take it or leave it
Posted by mark1 (mark1), 16 January 2004

where do u buy oil flo 141,and what is it
Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 16 January 2004
Hi Mark1
Here is the link to Titan Labs web site all info on there they do the Oil-flow, GG3/4 MDR tells all on the site.
http://www.titanlabs.net/
I get mine from the windowclean centre speak to darrell on 0800413512 or email: sales@windowcleancentre.co.uk
They will send you a catalogue good company to deal with.
Hope this helps
Alan
[cheers alan]

No probs
titan range is excellent use alot of their stuff.
Alan
I also print out their info on the products to give to customers.Goes down really well.
Alan
how much £ does it cost Huh Huh Huh Huh alanHuhHuhHuh?
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 16 January 2004
mark1
From the windowcleancentre its £8.57 for 473ml or £30.78 for3.8ltr thats with vat but I think you will have to add p&p
Posted by crystal (crystal), 16 January 2004
i used oilflo for the first time today to remove some sealant made mistake of not reading instructions 1st Roll Eyes so did not give it time to break sealant down, still came off relatively easy though so i too am impressed  Cool Cool ?
alan is mdr as good ? Huh
Hi all
looked at catalogue and says 48hr del costs 3.99 think this is only paid once if ordering a few bits.
Yes MDR is very good for water staining applie to window and work in with very fine wire wool or a adrasive pad.or scraper all works. Another good thing is oil-flo and MDR are easy to wash off brakes down with cleaning water no probs.
Hope this helps.Cheers
Alan
[does it move concrete splash Huh Huh or just sealent.is a sharp blade and soapy water not just as good?]

Hi Mark
For concrete splash on windows you are better soaking the window and use a sharp scraper if you start rubbing in anything you could scratch the window.
Concrete is a bad on to get on windows because if rubbed the sand in it will scratch the glass.
So Loads of water and scraper.
For contrete on frames loads of water and gentel rub
Cheers
Alan
soapy water not just as good?

Sorry mark
the problem with sealant is that it can travel around the glass gets on yr cloths/scrims and spreads Oil-flo brakes it down so eliminating it.
Cheers
Alan

Posted by pw (paul w), 16 January 2004
£3.50 do you want any moor work i would not clean the front door for that let alone get my ldders off my van
Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 17 January 2004
Hi Paul.
I have been following a few topics on pricing and it does show no area is the same prices do vary £3-£15 per 3 bed house. If your building a round then not everyone can be so choosey with the work they take up, Until the round is built up and better work has replaced the not so good stuff then it is a hard game. Then another way of looking at it if you have 2-3 days work and need another 2 days work to build yr week up that job is better then nothing and can lead to other things.
Cheers
Alan

Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 17 January 2004
on 01/16/04 at 23:59:16, paul w wrote:
£3.50 do you want any moor work i would not clean the front door for that let alone get my ldders off my van

Hi Paul
         What part of the country are you working in Huh because in some parts of the country that is the going rate but in those parts the cost of living tend to be a lot cheaper. In the Surrey where i live you would be pushed to find a three bedroomed semi for much under £300,000 so i guess i would need to charge more if i have a mortgage.

Steve
Posted by pw (paul w), 18 January 2004
i do live in surrey and i do have a morgage may be thats why i charge so much ? but when i started and done houses i used to charge £5 min 18 years ago in middlesex /surrey area paul Roll Eyes Grin
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 18 January 2004
Hi Paul
         What is the average charge for a three bedroomed semi in your part of Surrey Huh

Steve
Posted by Reuben_Reynolds (Reuben_Reynolds), 18 January 2004
I find from meeting window cleaners most days on demos their earnings an hour vary from as little as £12 an hour to £30 plus on conventional cleaning, they may vary a little on how quick they can clean but it really depends on what area of the country they live and work.

I dont think Southerners charge to much as the cost of labour,housing and living costs are much higher, just look at the cost of a pint of beer can vary in different areas.

You would be supprised how many waterfed poles are being used on domestic houses though!!!

Regards

Reuben
Posted by g_griffin (g_griffin), 18 January 2004
on 01/17/04 at 00:08:02, shinnyshinner wrote:
Hi Paul.
I have been following a few topics on pricing and it does show no area is the same prices do vary £3-£15 per 3 bed house. If your building a round then not everyone can be so choosey with the work they take up, Until the round is built up and better work has replaced the not so good stuff then it is a hard game. Then another way of looking at it if you have 2-3 days work and need another 2 days work to build yr week up that job is better then nothing and can lead to other things

That`s an excellent point. I usually do my worst work when Ive finished everywhere else or have time. A days bad pay is better than nothing.

Gerry.

Cheers
Alan

on 01/17/04 at 00:08:02, shinnyshinner wrote:
Hi Paul.
I have been following a few topics on pricing and it does show no area is the same prices do vary £3-£15 per 3 bed house. If your building a round then not everyone can be so choosey with the work they take up, Until the round is built up and better work has replaced the not so good stuff then it is a hard game. Then another way of looking at it if you have 2-3 days work and need another 2 days work to build yr week up that job is better then nothing and can lead to other things.
Cheers
Alan

Sorry, that went wrong. It`s still an excellent point.

Gerry. Tongue
Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 18 January 2004
Hi g_griffin
Glad we are on the same tracks
I think everyone dont matter how great the round is shill have not so good jobs.
I know I have a few and when they come around think I can't be bothered but still money, at the end of the day at no cost, just ladour.
Alan
Alan,

You`re right. There will always be less attractive jobs.If you earn 50 pound an hour, would you not do a job at 40 pound per hour, even though you had time?

It`s easy to forget what it`s like when first starting out. There are some blokes on this forum with little or no work trying to get established and they can`t pick and choose their work.

Gerry.
Hi g_griffin
Totally agree,
As much a forum like this is really good some info like pricing can be so wrong if they don’t do research first, then end up with nothing or a slow starting business.
Going out looking for £30-£40 per hr, not everyone is prepared to pay such an amount. I know that a lot of mine would tell me to sling my hook.
How about you?
Alan

Alan,

My customers would definitely tell me to sling my hook and I don`t know any WC`s, locally,that charge that although I`d love too.

I think in certain areas people have a rough idea what to pay to have their windows cleaned so you have to  charge competitively.

I inherited someone elses prices so that didn`t help   and I suppose I`ve got complacent with what I charge as I have a lot of long standing customers (friends). Familiarity breeds content.

I`m not moaning though and I do agree that someone could read too much into what`s said on this site. I can imagine my customers reaction when I tell them the price is being trebled because thats what someone on a website supposedly charges.

Gerry.
Posted by fez (fez), 18 January 2004
For me, the balance lies between charging enough per job and working fast enough to maintain a reasonable hourly rate. Some days I fly along and earn loads, other days  I seem to be a lot slower despite trying to work fast.

I don`t begrudge anyone earning 20/25 pound an hour and I don`t see how this can be "too much" if the customers are happy to pay it. Not everyone can charge this though and shouldn`t think they have too because they`ve read it on here. The same as everyone mustn`t think they should be doing 8 or 9 three bed roomed semis an hour.
       Where does it end? We might get some joker (again) telling us we should be aiming for 100 an hour at least.What would happen to our businesses if we did and then found out he was blagging.
       I`m thinking of those with little or no work. They may have no other source of income and have to take some "poorly" paid work. I know I did.
       So I don`t think it helps when people say " 3.50 I wouldn`t take my ladders off the roof for that."
        Not everyone is so fortunate.

Gerry.
Hi g_griffin
Like talking to myself hearing yr points.
Another on here is the pricing of inside work x2-x3 the outsides.
Do you charge this?? I dont.
I see insides as a bonus easy work no ladders nice a warm, 9 times out of 10 tea waiting.
I see it, you go in their house as you would yr own, I carry slippers (mocasons) where ever I place my bucket lay clean scrim down, never any mess.
I cleaned a job last week inside and one room has all her nick nacks in, some very expensive. Never a problem though.
Things I always remember.
Bottom feet on ladder & bucket clean
ladder point covered up to save marks (just brought a bonnet their good)
where slippers.
Never had any probs when following these.

How about you
Alan

Alan ,

Unfortunately I don`t do many insides but I don`t charge x2 or x3 if I do. I usually charge the same as outside plus a bit extra depending on the job.
    As you say it`s much easier- warmer,drier and no climbing (I`m tall so no ladder,maybe step if needed).
     I would gladly do all my customers inside and outside windows for double the price of just outside.Think of all the extra money when it`s raining.
    Perhaps I shouldn`t mention this on here but I`ve done the odd kitchen window for free whilst getting clean water or having a cup of tea. Shocked

Gerry.
Hi g_griffin
the same as you I do the kitchen ones quite a few dont hurt can be a nightmare to the customer if they have not got the right gear.
Keeps up customer relations hay
Thats my only problem as only being 5.5ish ladder goes every where or steps
Alan

Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 18 January 2004
When I do inside work I allways ask to use their steps as the feet are cleaner , and use old bath towels to put on any window sills and under my bucket, Cool
aii points tacken. steve i charge £10-£15 for ave 3 bed unless its oap then £5 or so but i must admit i dont like to do house so a lot of the time i say a hi price to put them off you would be supprised how many say ok .most of my work is commercial so i get a good rate so when i do a house i need to charge wot i do as it stops me from doing my other work. 'ps' to say i would not get my ladders off the van 4 £3.50 was wrong we all have to start some were i agree and when i started i would work 4 any money [ but dont under cut yourself ] gutters ect see how much a roother would charge and then go lower you will be suprise how much thay charge.paul
Paul w,

I`m  not saying you were wrong for saying it because it`s probably true but it doesn`t help really.
 There`s no point someone trying to build a round but getting no work because they are trying to charge what they`ve heard somebody else charges. If that makes sense.
  Can you imagine going to see the bank manager about a loan to buy a round,telling him/her what you`d make and he/she replies " I wouldn`t get out of bed for that".
    I admire your honesty though.

Gerry
thanks gerry ................ when you do insides you could try this one on the customer i dont mind doing insides but unfortunately my insurance dose not cover me to move stuff off window sill... it works for me i say i dont know why but thats one of the things thay said when i took out the policy....  then thay move it .   paul
Posted by T_W_CONTRACTS (T_W_CONTRACTS), 21 January 2004
are there any shiners on here that dont do houses
i do contract work ie marks & spencer  restaurants
& local council work . cleaning houses is ok to start with
but if you realy want to earn good money try to get
some contract work Cool
Posted by Terry_Burrows (Terry_Burrows), 21 January 2004
Winkyes I agree we dont touch houses petty people because all they do is watch you and complain Huhwe dont do private flats or builders cleans they are agro!
I have been asked many times to clean houses,there is not enough money in it,we look after big cleaning conpanys sub contract basis,this works well Winkthey know we are pros Wink
Posted by T_W_CONTRACTS (T_W_CONTRACTS), 28 January 2004
i do commercial work in london but if someone ask me
to do thier house i charge between £8-£10 they
never complain.especially if it is a one off as thier windows are not likely to have been cleaned for years Smiley
Posted by cd5000 (TWYFORD CLEANING), 28 January 2004
I LIVE IN THE SOUTH WEST ( EXETER ) I HAVE BEEN W/C
FOR ONLY SIX MONTHS, SO FAR I HAVE 180 HOUSES AND 4 SHOP WINDOWS, I CHARGE £5.00 FOR 3 BED & £ 6.00 FOR 4 BED HOUSE ( THATS A FULL CLEAN ) I ONLY WORK PART TIME AS I WORK FULL TIME NIGHTS, SHOULD I PUT MY PRICE UP, ALL MY PEOPLE SEEM TO BE HAPPY WITH MY WORK.
Posted by jontydog (jontydog), 6 February 2004
my charges vary from 3-6 pounds but those were the prices when I bought the round 18 months ago and it is mostly on the council estate where I live.  I used to work for the bloke I bought it off so I knew the round well beforehand.

They are going to get a nice rise in April too.  The problem is I don't know how much to put them up Smiley

They haven't increased in 4 years
Posted by denzle (Denzle), 6 February 2004
This is just my personal oppinion here, but i think a lot of you guys are seriously under-selling yourselves.
If the job was that easy then the home owner would do it themselves, If the husband was confident on ladders the same would apply. But their not, thats why you do it.
You offer a service, you risk your life and health to provide that service, you work in all weathers to provide that service.
Charge accordingly, don't think Oh i'm only a window cleaner.... you are a service provider.
The days of Old George pushing his bike along with ladders and bucket, charging next to nothing have gone forever. £25 - £30 per hour is what you want, if they won't pay that then they can do it themselves.
There you go, rant over
Denzle
Posted by jontydog (jontydog), 6 February 2004
Its OK having a rant denzle but as a relatively new window cleaner I can't afford to lose customers who are used to paying those prices.  I mean if your ISP started charging £100 per month for internet access I am sure you would look elsewhere.  I do not have enough customers yet to be able to lose some
Posted by denzle (Denzle), 6 February 2004
I understand your predicament, i made the same mistake a few years ago when i started out, the problem is that you make a rod for your own back later on. Once your customers are used to paying X amount they are reluctant to part with more later on. A price rise of just £1 will bring you nothing but aggro in 12 months time ( trust me it will ) And in 12 months time you will hate doing these jobs with venom as you will know that you could be earning so much more elsewhere.
I would suggest that maybe you start to canvas virgin territory and raise those prices to want you want to be earning, then when you have enough put the prices up in the areas you already have, that way you will be replacing the lower priced stuff with new work at a better price. The way i look at it these days is that if a customer cancells due to a price increase, then that gives me a spare slot to put a better priced job in.
If you had say 100 houses at £5 each and put every price up by £1, but 10% cancelled due to price you are still making £50 more but doing 10% less work. If 20% cancelled you are still earning the same with more time to do other work.
Just my thoughts
Denzle
Posted by tam (tam), 6 February 2004
Hi folks just in fom work. An intresting topic. My Co. does a lot of council houses and the most you can charge is £2.50- £3.00 per house as the cowboy element here, when they start work on a Fri. the dole pays their rent, council tax and they have a few quid in  their pocket. When we start work on a Fri we start from scratch, we have to earn our rent/mort. council tax etc.
We can do about 7-8 per hour and all are quite close togther. It is hard work. If you do contract work all the time you do not have the benifit that we have.(read between th lines)
Posted by T_W_CONTRACTS (T_W_CONTRACTS), 6 February 2004
I DONT KNOW WHAT PART OF THE COUNTRY YOU ARE IN
BUT IM IN LONDON [SOUTHERNER] I DONT USUALLY DO DOMESTIC BUT TODAY AS I WAS FINISHING A OLD FOLKS HOME I WAS APPROACHED BY A MAN WHO ASKED ME TOO CLEAN HIS HOUSE [ON COUNCIL ESTATE] REGULAR PLACE 2 WINDOWS UP & GROUNDS BACK & FRONT LITERALLY 6-7MINS WORK HE ASKED HOW MUCH
I SAID £ 8 WHEN I FINISHED HE GAVE ME £ 10 & WAS VERY HAPPY . SURELY £3- £6 POUNDS IS NOWHERE NEAR ENOUGH WHEREVER YOU ARE PEOPLE GET MORE THAN THAT FOR WASHING CARS & THEY DONT TAKE RISKS LIKE CLIMBING LADDERS ETC...ETC..
PUT THOSE PRICES UP Wink
Posted by Terry_Burrows (Terry_Burrows), 6 February 2004
Cheesy no wunder you can drive around in a nice new van  Grin T.W. Wink Cheesy Grin US PLEBS  have to suffer Smiley
Posted by mickeyfat (VGC), 6 February 2004
i have some house that are 3.50 (3 bedroom!!)
and some 2 bedroom that are £10
i would rather do 30 houses at £3 and get £90 than earn nothing
as said before though ..these houses will the first to go when i get more!!!!
What about your new van Terry. Canny hide on this site.
Winkif thats the Tam I am finking of HuhI should have known betta Shocked that will cost you a black russian
at the Fed do Wink Grinfor spilling the haggis
with your readies th drinks are on you. Yu smokies not
no how to spel
Posted by T_W_CONTRACTS (T_W_CONTRACTS), 6 February 2004
hows that ladder tel
have you used it yet
Winkno not yet mate Cheesy soon will do I am sure Grin Cheesy Wink
Posted by dozerino (Steve Mac), 8 February 2004
I live in the scottish borders. It's very rural and there's a hell of alot of fussy customers. Anyway, i usually charge 50p for your average sized window. If it's twice the size, then guess how much?? Smiley Doing this i can earn about £20 an hour. I don't rip anyone off, but on the other hand, i'm not a charity! 2 up - 2 down is 4 quid. Thats pretty much the same for us all round here.
Posted by Terry_Burrows (Terry_Burrows), 8 February 2004
Wink Cheesy the last time I did a house

I got 6 months, Shocked thats why I dont do houses anymore Grin
Posted by cleaner_windows (cleaner_windows), 8 February 2004
i live down south but i'm a northener. i phoned my mum last week and asked her how much she paid for her 3 bed semi. reply £3. my jaw hit the floor. how can you make a living on that. i would price that at £8-10 down south.(devon)
Posted by Bones (Mikey aka Bones), 8 February 2004
Hi,

3 Bed bay fronted semi on suffolk coast £7.00, and I think they begrudge that Huh

Another thing, when we say a three bed semi on here what are we talking? so many different styles and amount of windows. To me a 3 bed semi is a 1940's bay fronted house approx 9 - 10 windows 2 of which being bays.

Mikey Grin

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.