Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

Builders clean

Posted by sean_symons (sean_symons), 17 October 2003
Hello  everybody, could anybody give me some idea on how to price a builders clean, i have been asked to go and price a job on sunday, unfortunateley all i have been told is that it is a showroom just been built onto a factory, it has  lot of windows all at ground level and that it will take all day, this is the first big builders clean i have had to price and i haven't got a clue how to price it. Any help would be appreciated THANKS Embarassed
Posted by jake (jake), 17 October 2003
sean

If it is a show room, the chances are they'll want a handover clean, which should be a spotless 'showroom' condition clean. Always remember that the windows are an important part of these cleans as they really show off your work! What to charge depends on what you want to earn!£100/£150 a day is not unreasonable so maybe try that, keep it on the low side to get started, do a bloody good and THOROUGH job, and take it from there. sometimes you win sometimes you lose, thats how you get a feel for pricing, good luck mate!!!
Posted by karlosdaze (karlosdaze), 17 October 2003
Go down there, pick the dirtiest window you can see, and clean it with prior permission for free. Work out how long it takes you, and times that by the number of windows, this will give you your price (Don't forget to account for ladder work). This will give the company a first view finish of what to expect, and if they are happy with the price.
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 17 October 2003
Hi Sean,
           One thing i recommend before you start any builders clean is look for any scratches and point them out before you start Wink

Steve Lowe
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 17 October 2003
Hi Sean ,
What I would do is decide how much I want to earn a day then add a little because it will be hard work . Is this clean a one off or will they want you to clean it again Huh Cool
Posted by karlosdaze (karlosdaze), 17 October 2003
Good point Steve!!!
Go to http://www.stopscratchedglass.com/

and print off a couple of pages, just to put the owners right first. And if anyone else doesn't know about this site, have a read, sign the petition, and keep window-cleaners ahead of the game!
Posted by The_Fed_Man (The_Fed_Man), 17 October 2003
Sean,

Regarding pricing, expect it to take 3 to 4 times longer than a normal clean.  For some advice on how to, visit www.stopscratchedglass.com. Plenty of information here.
Posted by sean_symons (sean_symons), 18 October 2003
Thanks to everyone for your help on pricing a builders clean a lot of useful information. THANKS Wink

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.