Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

slippery surfaces

Posted by craig (craig), 1 October 2003
i'm new to the game and was wondering if anyone could advise me on what they do when the ground is slippery or frosty etc. what do you use to stop your ladder feet from slipping? i'm only doing residential work at present but i don't want to come a cropper when i'm high up on the ladder. any advice would be appreciated.
craig Wink
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 1 October 2003
Hi Craig,
           You can get something called a Rojak stopper from the NFMWGC and i think they are about £33 + vat which makes it a bit safer but if i had the slightest doubt about any surface i was putting my ladder on i would not do that window. Your life and welfare is worth more than taking any risks! Also the Federation do a video on health and safety with ladders and i would consider that a good investment.

Hope this helps Grin

Steve Lowe
Posted by craig (craig), 1 October 2003
thanks steve, i appreciate your advice. there's some great advice on this site and the fact that everyone is only too pleased to help is refreshing. thanks again
craig
Posted by classic (classic), 1 October 2003
best advice ,is if in doubt-dont!!!
but also as a general safety back up i use articulating rubber feet fitted to the bottom of all my  ladders  these have studded rubber feet like football boots,for extra reassurance   bought them from lansford accsess, Bristol
,also a good supplier of laddersl
Posted by steve_massey (steve_massey), 2 October 2003
When i'm using a ladder on slippy paths i put a damp cloth under the feet of the ladder. the cloth seems to suck to the floor beacause its damp and the feet of the ladder grip to the cloth.
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 3 October 2003
If i had a slippy path unless i had someone their to foot the ladder i wouldn't go up it. Shocked  Having come off my ladder twice in the last 18 years i know what it feels like and its the most frightening thing ever. Shocked

Steve Lowe
Posted by matt (matt), 3 October 2003
I use a canvas tool bag (they are the old style tool bags), i have filled a heavy duty plastic sack with some sand, then put it in the tool bag

Its heavy to carry, and a pain arse but its safe  Smiley Smiley Cheesy
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 4 October 2003
I should think its like doing an assualt course every day. Grin A bit safer though!

Steve Lowe
Posted by matt (matt), 4 October 2003
the story is, first day the ladder slipped on me, didnt come off as it caught the next patio slab, but that scare made me think alot about safety, and coming from a building site background (carpenter) i know how many are injured and die from falls Sad
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 6 October 2003
Hi Matt,
          When you get it slip it has that effect. Shocked Grin

Steve Lowe
Posted by SOB (SOB), 7 October 2003
There is a new device advertised on www.scrimcity.com called a ladder mat £14.98 inc VAT stops the ladder slipping and can be used as a ladder leveller, it has been lab tested so i guess it should be good.
Posted by matt (matt), 7 October 2003
has any1 used these "stoppers" Huh?

the 24" type is very near the 70 quid mark

worth it or not HuhHuh

I would say though that a sandbag has the weight  Smiley
Posted by Rob_B (Rob_B), 9 October 2003
Let me know how you get on with the stopper. I've been looking at them for a while but i think are a bit expensive to buy without knowing if they work.

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.