Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

General Cleaning Issues - Floorcare, car valeting, buying and selling businesses, pricing, staffing, market research, etc.

Contract Cleaners where did you learn your trade

Posted by Ian_G. (Ian_Gourlay), 11 February 2004
In carpet cleaning there are lots of traning courses from procedures sales, and business management.

I wonder where those of you who have started your own Contract Cleaning Companies , Domestic Cleaning Services or Car Valeting learnt your trade.

Posted by squeaky (squeaky), 12 February 2004
we used to clean the windows of a converted school that had been turned into offices.(9 years ago)The owner asked me if I knew anyone that would do a daily office clean,I said that I would give it a go ,did'nt have a clue but its amasing how quick you pick it up.Got loads of contracts now but wished I had'nt.It takes over your life.
I do not enjoy it much and would give up all of the office cleaning contracts if I could afford it ( too many early mornings for too long!) I am hoping to have stopped all of the Office cleaning within 18 months and just concentrate on the carpets ( in my opinion its were the money is )

mark
Posted by Mike_Boxall (Mike_Boxall), 13 February 2004
Hi Mark

From my experience thats how the vast majority of cleaners start - elbow grease and initiative!

I'm surprised that there are so few contract cleaners who have done the BICS courses etc - they are about but just not very well publicised.

Regards

Mike
Posted by lenpg (Len Gribble), 13 February 2004
Smiley
Ian

I started with a commercial cleaning franchise, training!! you learnt as you go. (Not with them any more) Mark more or less summed it up NO LIFE and even less money. Core business now cc, hard floors and occasional f & f.

Mike done the BICS courses plus many more, any new person coming into to the cleaning game in whatever field they must at least have the basic knowledge.

Len

Posted by Ian_G. (Ian_Gourlay), 13 February 2004
When you look at the amount charged by us carpet cleaners, even the cheap ones compared with rates qouted for domestic and contract cleaning it is obvious that if you are earning of your own labour thats where the money is,

According to reports on the cockle pickers contract cleaning is another area where gang masters and imigrant labour operate.

I hope nobody on this site is renting out houses and overcrowding them with their staff.

Ian

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.