Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

iPUTTING PRICES UP - WHAT'S THE BEST WAY?

Posted by windows_chepstow (windows_chepstow), 21 January 2004
I've been window cleaning for nearly a year now (old SWEAT I am) and want to increase the prices for the houses that, through inexperience, I grossly underpriced.

I think the best way would be by putting a letter through each of my customers doors the month prior:

Explaining why I've increased the price.

Telling them what the new price is.

Requesting them to phone me if they do not require
       my services.

The benefits (I assume) of this is:

I don't disturb them when they're watching East  
      Enders, after a heavy day at work, and are grumpy.

They actually have to bother their arse to phone  
      me to stop me cleaning.

They can't complain when the price goes up, as
      they will have had ample warning to phone me and
      let me know their views.

It avoids confrontation (I'm a Geordie and don't
      mind confrontation - I'm no puff!!)

Example.  The reason I have increased the price of your house is _____________________.  
You house is now £ _____.  If you wish to discuss this please phone me on 01291 etc.

What do you lot think?  The letter could be a of a generic nature where I fill the blanks in with pen...

Looking forward to your comments.

Tosh (Chepstow Windows)

Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 21 January 2004
Hi Tosh,
Do you call to collect your money, when you call just tell them that the next time  you clean there windows the price will have to go up , you dont need to go into details . Just say I am sorry but  I have been cleaning them for a year and they will go up every February  
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 22 January 2004
I agree with John.  I would just tell them when you go around to clean the next time. It saves going over the same ground twice.

Steve
Posted by sham33 (sham33), 22 January 2004
I would go with chepstows idea, thinking of doing the same thing myself soon. Its a lot less hassle than every single customer questioning your reason to putting it up.

Plus im a coward  Tongue
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 22 January 2004
The first time that I put my prices up I posted notes and it was more trouble than it was worth , most said they had not seen any note , so in the end you still had to tell them . It gets easier after you have told the first 6 / 7
Posted by woodman (woodman), 22 January 2004
Hi Tosh

If you don't mind a carpet cleaner butting in here, one of the ways I used to go about this was to give every single one of my customers a letter expaining the increase along with a voucher giving them first clean only, after the increase ,at the original price.

This cushions the blow and next time round because they had used the voucher to claim their discounted clean they can not say they didn't know about the increase.

Simple but it works

Good Luck.
Posted by pussycatz (HCS), 22 January 2004
When I have raised my prices before I have just put a note through the door a few weeks before cleaning.
Some people will moan.
Some people will cancel.
The extra that you make from the round means that you will still take the same or more money.Then a couple of months down the line the ones that cancelled start coming back to you because you do a great job.You then get too busy again and think...I should raise my prices.
Posted by g_griffin (g_griffin), 22 January 2004
Tosh,

I know it can be a bit daunting especially if you`re putting them up by a lot but I think you are delaying the inevitable by not telling your customers face to face.
   Some will get your note and accept it but there are always those who want  a word and they will see you sometime or other. Then just explain your reasons and most will be ok, if not its their loss.
  I have customers who have some comment to make every time I put them up (and it`s usually the same comment) but they accept it or do without me. Either way I don`t mind, as you find your wage increase is greater than work lost (if any).
 Majestic made a good point, if you say the prices are going to go up every February,or whenever, it`ll be much easier next year and customers will ask " have they gone up yet". If you decide not to put them up next year,they will look at the price-freeze as a bonus.

Gerry.
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 22 January 2004
I try and put mine up in April each year because with the brighter days they are less lightly to drop your service.  Wink

Steve
Posted by Diamond_Vision (Jeff Brimble), 22 January 2004
Put them up by more than inflation in the spring by just telling them when you see them or bill them. The ones you may lose are not the ones you want anyway . !
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 22 January 2004
If you only put them up by 10p you would still get the ones that will moan , If they are not keen on the price rise tell them you can give them the number of another window cleaner and he can call to clean them , if they moan loose them  they are not worth it
Posted by Neil (wylie), 23 January 2004
I have been offered about £150 worth of work for about £60 because the guy doing them is too nervous to put the prices up.
I plan on calling on each customer and explaining the situation and telling them the first clean by me will be at there old price and if they are happy with the standard of my work (which of course they will be) Wink then the new price will be X.
I may loose a few but the ones gained should make the deal worth it.
I think it is all about confidence
If you have confidence in yourself and the service you offer customers will sense that and be happy to pay a little more for it. Smiley
And like anything else in life the more you do it the easier it gets (apart from Golf I am still rubbish  Cry )

Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 23 January 2004
Wylie,
Why not try the great relaxing sport of Crown Green Bowling , (if you can get the kids of the greens , they use it as a football pitch) there is nothing more relaxing than bowling  Cool
Posted by Neil (wylie), 23 January 2004
Majestic
My son (13) has been playing bowls (indoor ) for the last four years.
So even if I took that that up I would get beaten Sad
Maybe I will try Solitair lol Wink
Posted by paul (paul), 23 January 2004
I PUT MY PRICES UP LAST JULY AND THEY MOANED AS USALL THEN IVE JUST ADDED VAT PLUS A BIT EXTRA THIS MONTH SO THEY MOANED AGAIN AND ABOUT 30 CANCELLED BUT THE INCREASE MORE THAN COVERED IT AND IM STILL PICKING UP NEW CUSTOMERS ALL THE TIME ANYWAY SO JUST DO IT Grin

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.