Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

Problems with GG4?

Posted by g_griffin (g_griffin), 22 September 2003
recently been using gg4. i am impressed but the odd few windows are left streaked and some seem to have a film left on them no matter how many times i do the window. any help appreciated.
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 22 September 2003
I have been using GG4 for about three months now and i find it does an excellent job. Are you diluting it Huh

Steve Lowe
Posted by Rob_B (Rob_B), 22 September 2003
try putting less gg4 in the water, I find if I put too much in my windows streak. You can buy a measuring bottle but they are very hard to get hold of.
Posted by karlosdaze (karlosdaze), 22 September 2003
Change your rubber, or turn  the rubber the other way.
Don't overload your strip washer.
Do you "S" or straight pull?
Posted by g_griffin (g_griffin), 22 September 2003
no im not diluting it. just seems the odd window is left with diagonal streaks. i may need to experiment with quantity used and just keep practising. how is ungers liquid and how does it compare with gg4.   ive given up with fairy. thanks for help and speedy response.

Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 22 September 2003
You can get measuring bottles from the federation. I think they were about  a pound each Huh and i put about four measures to half a bucket of water. It lasts ages Grin

Steve Lowe
Posted by The_Fed_Man (The_Fed_Man), 22 September 2003
G_griffin,

Sound like turn lines like / and \ Yes?  You may not be cutting the grease.  Read the measuring instructions and if you are sure you've got that right increase the doseage.  I don't use it more than twice the recommended proportions.  Or just add a dash of Fairy to cut the grease with the GG4, that helps.
Posted by sham33 (sham33), 22 September 2003
Im having a few troubles with it as well. Though having read these posts it sounds like i've been using too much at once. I've been using fairy with gg4 to help see where im going and to lessen the risk of leaving a great big streak across the window.
Im going to measure the proper dose tomorrow and use it on its own.
Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 22 September 2003
Does GG4 foam up like washing up soaps I have some samples coming to make up my own mind as I have heard mixed views on this product
Alan
Posted by sham33 (sham33), 22 September 2003
No, theres hardly any foam at all. I have to add a dash of fairy to see where im going  Undecided It does bring the windows up good though.
Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 22 September 2003
Cheers sham33 what is the spec on this stuff how is it meant to work
sorry if a bit late for specs
Cheers Alan
Posted by karlosdaze (karlosdaze), 22 September 2003
Add about 1/4 Fl. Oz. of GG-4 concentrate per gallon of water. (A dilution ratio of 1:500). Or about 1 ounce per 2-1/2 gallons of water. The actual amount needed depends on variables such as water hardness, temperature, humidity, rubber quality, dirt on glass and personal preference. Some experimentation may be needed to find the optimum dose. Do not exceed twice the recommended dose.
The cost is of using GG-4 is pennies per bucket. Window cleaning expenses are almost all labor. The small cost of Glass Gleam-4 is more than offset by faster production with less effort, compared to dishwashing soaps or home-brewed solutions, for example. Dishwashing soaps often differ from one purchase to the next, leave a film on the glass (especially noticeable on mirrors), make tool handles slippery when wet and then tacky while drying, have excessive bleeding and too much foam, to name some drawbacks. Dishwashing soaps are intended to wash opaque dishware rinsed in hot water. A reflective residual film leaves a shiny surface and lots of foam in the sink are key selling features of dish soaps. GG-4, in contrast, is a professional window cleaning solution designed for vision glass and the needs of the window cleaner. You and your customers will notice the difference. Plus you can use Glass Gleam-4 as a sales tool - that you use the best professional products.

Posted by g_griffin (g_griffin), 23 September 2003
thanks for help steve,rob,fed and karlos. have been s- shape method or would you recommend straight pulling. tried increase dosage at home worked better i am going to try it at work now. thanks again             gerry                                
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 23 September 2003
Hi Gerry,
           Glad it works better with more liquid Cheesy I just use the squeegee normally and it all works fine Grin (S method)

Steve Lowe
Posted by g_griffin (g_griffin), 23 September 2003
steve you`re a gent. very helpful.
Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 23 September 2003
I took some advise on GG4 and what you can add to it and was told not to add anything to it GG4 once used a few times on the windows it will eventually brake through all the other films left by other detergents but if you start adding other detergents to it i.e. fairy it will always have that film on it, an example if you use decaf coffee and add a bit of caffeine to it your defeating the object.
Your views please on this
Cheers Alan

Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 23 September 2003
I agree with Alan. I cant see the point in paying a bit more for a professional product and then defeat the object by adding something else. Also fairy liquid contains salt which wears your blade out much quicker.

Steve Lowe
Posted by Rob_B (Rob_B), 23 September 2003
I agree also. The whole point of GG4 is that it has no lanolin in it which is the stuff that leaves the film and is in all washing up liquids.
Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 23 September 2003
Cheers for reply Steve & Rob once used a few times and broken through the film of detergents used before, do you find GG4 has its own foam? And does GG4 leave its own film on the window?
When you squeegee when using other detergents i.e. fairy, if you wipe around the edges of the window with a scrim it sometimes leaves a smear is this the same with GG4?
Cheers Alan

Posted by Rob_B (Rob_B), 24 September 2003
I use GG4 as weak as I can get away with, and it only foams if I wring a scrim out in it a couple of times. This I find also stops the smear around the edge after detailing. I don't think it leaves a film at all. Check out GG4 website. www.titanlabs.net/gg4.htm
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 24 September 2003
Hi Alan
         I don't think GG4 leaves a film on the glass Huh I was told that was one of the advantages of the product. It does take quite a bit of getting used to though if you have been used to using fairy Cheesy

Steve Lowe
Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 24 September 2003
hi Steve just found out it does not leave a film just done a job with GG4 and well impressed the glide of the squegee is out of this world,
and windows come up really clean with no hard work also detailing is reduced and when you have to as there is no film on the window as when using dishwashing soap less smears
Alan
Hi Alan
         I have just got back from doing one of my pub jobs and GG4 cuts through the nicotine great. A bottle seems to last ages Grin so i don't think it is any more expensive than fairy Huh

Steve Lowe
Hi Steve I was talking to the guy from wintecs and they estimate that 1-gallon of GG4 should last up to a year.
I received some of their sample bottles (only a small bottle) today and I put a hole one in and the chap said too much he said 1-2 tea spoons of GG4 to a bucket of water.
Did you know that there is also an agent to purify the water too?, I think
Really good stuff though
Alan

Hi Alan
         Yes i new it had water softener in it. I use 2x5ml measures per half bucket of water and it seems fine. Cheesy

Steve Lowe
You would never guess that would be enough would you
Alan
Posted by John (John), 25 September 2003
Where is a good place to buy GG4 at reasonable cost (inc carriage)?

John.
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 25 September 2003
Hi John
          The NFMWGC sell it and their telephone number is 0161-432-8754. Cheesy

Steve Lowe
Posted by sham33 (sham33), 25 September 2003
Getting the hang of this GG4 stuff now. Used it on its own today with no Fairy. Only put 4 cap fulls in with 2 gallons of water, was using about 3 times that much before.
Using a slightly weaker grip this stuff is really easy to take off the windows. Also theres hardly any detailing to do. I recommend to any 1 who hasn't tried it to give it a go, though it takes a few days to get use to. Once u have it speeds up your work.
Im guessing that after a few visits using GG4 it gets even more easy because all the fairy residue has gone?  Smiley

I think i tended to put too much in at first Embarassed It works much better with less Grin

Steve Lowe
On their website their is a bit more info  www.titanlabs.net Cheesy

Steve Lowe
Posted by gibbouk (gibbouk), 25 September 2003
if you cant get the little mesuring thingy chemists sell i 5ml syringe with bottle adaptor
i get mine from the wimdow clean center in ipswich 0800 413512
worth a try have some great stuff from the states
Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 25 September 2003
My god this stuff really takes some getting used too I can see that you can be caught in a trap to add a little fairy, persil etc as to trace where you are working but end results so far are smack on detailing if any is 1 wipe and spotless done a demo for a customer and she could not beleive it.
Like starting off from scratch again slow movements etc hopefully be worth it seems good.
Alan
Steve would you use this GG4 for all work or only commercial I am thinking of only using for commercial as the amount of time being spent going over work on fan lights etc.
Must say rag work knocked the hell out of me lead lights best product on the market so far cuts lead light work by half what do you think.
Alan
Posted by g_griffin (g_griffin), 25 September 2003
i think i`ve found root of my problems with gg4. tended to be when applicator was drying out in sunshine and couldnt get to bucket(climbing over locked gates) despite bucket on belt carrying some solution so i wasnt cutting through the grease. i now carry a small spray bottle with some in and give very dirty windows a light spray first.the film i was getting was probably fairy residue which will probably go in time. now getting excellent results. thankyou all again.
gerry

Hi Alan,
          I use GG4 for both domestic and commercial because it works out cheap enough to use. Grin

Steve Lowe
I'll give you that it is cheap enough takes some getting used to cleaning with out a trace of foam it was really sunny hear in Clacton on sea most curtains were drawn could not see anything and you can guess the rest
Alan
Posted by classic (classic), 25 September 2003
1 have been using gg4 for over one yearand find that it is better than any other product .i use a falcon tube  
(the little tube with a screw on lid that are used for taking medical samples) to dispense it ,20 ml to one gallon of water.it doesnt sound alot but it works .
If you talk nicley to your local chemist you should be able to buy one for a few pence.
i pre mix 6 one gallon containers at a time
nice one classic when you 1st used did it throw you the no foam bit.
was you impressed with the rag work results
Alan
Posted by classic (classic), 25 September 2003
when i first used it i added a small amount of dish washing liquid mainly for glide and visual foam  so i could see where i am going  . but now i only add it if iam doing an inside clean where there is likley to be heavy grease marks ie kitchen windows

hi classic I was taken back by the power of this stuff done the inside of kitchen window not been done for ages wiped on then off and window came up nearly clean, cleaned twice and spot on.
does the washing soap stop GG4 working to it's max at all?
Alan
Posted by g_griffin (g_griffin), 26 September 2003
sorry to labour this point but i believe gg4 also keeps windows cleaner for longer if this true then you wouldnt need to add any washing up liquid on your next clean. im saying this because people have suggested adding a squirt to clean them up. i dont know cos ive not done all my round yet using gg4. is it true?  gerry

Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 26 September 2003
Hi
 I don't put any washing up liquid in at all.What is the point in putting washing up liquid in a professional window cleaning liquid Huh

Steve Lowe
st eve what i meant was someone suggested a bit of fairy when i was struggling to cut through the grease with just gg4. but now i realise that my applicator was too dry and this can happen with washing up liquid anyway. i use gg4 on its own now (and water obviously) and small spray bottle of it to prevent drying- when i cant get to bucket for some reason. but do you find windows are cleaner next round.   gerry.

ter                on its own now and have small spray bottle with some in to prevent drying
Hi Gerry
           I have not really noticed them being any cleaner next time around but thats what they say isn't it Huh

Steve Lowe
yes steve titan said windows stay cleaner longer so i was thinking it will be easier next clean as some of mine get quite dirty. i cant see a gallon lasting a year though as someone was quoted. what happened to the funny stories we were going to get? im afraid i cant get the ball rolling but i will have a think.  gerry.
Hi Gerry,
           I have been using it now for about i guess 4 months and i have about a quarter of the bottle left so i don't think it will last a year. Cry

Steve Lowe
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 26 September 2003
I have been using it for about 4 months now, used over half the bottle , I still put a touch of Fairy allo vera in I like to see suds and it smells nice  Cool
Posted by simonb (simonb), 26 September 2003
Talking about smelling nice...
I had a customer who smelled the windows after I used one of the perfumed fairy liquids. So one advantage in using it is that if you get a moaner who says have you done all the windows you can say
'Go round and sniff them!'
Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 26 September 2003
Hi not sure but what I can make from GG4 with the bit about staying cleaner for longer now don’t quote me on this might be a load of old tosh.
When a window is clean with washing detergents it leaves a film where dirt sticks to it? when it rains the film maybe becomes sticky? So dirt moves down the window sticking to it, when you use GG4 there is no film on the window so could this be if it rains the window is rinsed off?
Does anyone remember tomorrows world with the window that cleans it self does this originate from this idea?
What do you lot think
Cheers Alan

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.