Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

Silicon/Mastic from PVC windows

Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 16 October 2003
I have gained couple of jobs recently, they have just had fitted PVC windows and the work I must say is rubbish they have left a load of mastic and silicon on the windows.
Normally with time this stuff can be got on top off oh no not this stuff when scraped moves along the window, wiped off with dry or damp rag smears getting through it gradually scraping and wiping blade but want to know is there any chemical that can brake this stuff on 1st contact, seems like a new product they are using now.Strange
Anyone else had the same problem.

Cheers
Alan

Posted by Bones (Bones the Winda Kleena), 16 October 2003
Yeah I had the same problem on a big bungalow today, bits of it everywhere, i had to tell the lady that i'd get it off next time round when i've looked into it a bit more. One side of her house it came off teal easy, but the new side she had built i just could not budge it,.... well i did budge it, it just moved along the window but did not want to come off!! Undecided

Mikey
Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 16 October 2003
Hi Mikey
You too nightmare not seen it that bad.
The only progress I made was get a new scraper blade damp the window scrape a bit then wipe the blade on a dry cloth but scraper had to be very Sharpe done me got most of it but the thing I told them was I could stay here all morning but they would end up getting a bill for £30-£40. for cleaning 4 windows
Cheers Alan  
Posted by gibbouk (gibbouk), 17 October 2003
brand new razor blade and it starts to come off. but as was just said, i just say you still have a bit of silicon on them and it  will come off eventually. if you want it all of this time it will be a lot more money. saves getting your self in a muddle trying to get it in one visit
Posted by James (Stooby), 17 October 2003
Screw-Fix do a sealant remover thats supposed to work well, for silicone and acrylic sealants priced at £1.99.

Stooby
Posted by clive_h_smith (clive_h_smith), 17 October 2003
Have tried a special to shift silicone on glass with fair success.
e-mail me at enquiries@tees-clean.co.uk if further data required & prices.
Posted by simonb (simonb), 17 October 2003
Lighter fuel is great but don't smoke while you're doing it!
Posted by The_Fed_Man (The_Fed_Man), 17 October 2003
Try Baby Powder and Steel Wool, must be 0000 grade so it won't scratch.  The silicon should attach itself to the powder.
Posted by Bones (Bones the Winda Kleena), 17 October 2003
 ShockedSTEEL WOOL!! Shocked I think i'd most definatly have to clean my undies after tryin that!!  Wink Grin
Posted by The_Fed_Man (The_Fed_Man), 17 October 2003
Do you clean semi-naked Huh Grin
Posted by jake (jake), 17 October 2003
A good scraper will do the trick ( I use a 4" champion ) 'soap' up glass first, scrape off mastic, re-soap and squeegee off, always use sharp blade. another method I sometimes use is thinners on a cloth, rub off mastic etc off dry glass then soap up and squeegee off immediatly, hope this is of help
Posted by Bones (Bones the Winda Kleena), 17 October 2003
on 10/17/03 at 20:32:17, The_Fed_Man wrote:
Do you clean semi-naked Huh Grin

Only for the young ladies  Wink Grin
Posted by easycleanwindows (easycleanwindows), 17 October 2003
i done a job couple weeks ago on large 5 bedroom costwold stone sealant all over the glass used excellent liquid called crystal clean contains acid but came straight of with cloth this was after no succses with scrapper can dilute for thinner silcon/mastic dependant on how bad

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.