Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

HOW MUCH MONEY DO YOU SPEND ON LADDERS?

Posted by wrighty (wrighty), 31 January 2004
Hello Chaps,

How much money do you spend on ladders and what ladders do you reccommend?

Also what safety accessories do you use/reccommned?

Thanks

Craig
Posted by pdhanson (Silly Philly), 31 January 2004
I wouldnt bother with those old things if I were you.  Personally I favour an ancient egyptian levitation technique.

Ok it may take some time to learn (about 30 years with a good master to train you) but on balance its a fair deal.

Failing that, you may be able to pick up a second hand magic carpet somewhere in peru if you're round that way, though this is clearly the lazy man's option.

Silly
Posted by T_W_CONTRACTS (T_W_CONTRACTS), 31 January 2004
YOU CERTAINLY LIVE UP TO YOUR NAME.

TongueSILLY Tongue
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 31 January 2004
Hi Craig
           I mainly use a Double 12ft A frame (3.66) and a 7ft point for most jobs.

www.ladders999.co.uk

Hope this helps

Steve
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 31 January 2004
on 01/31/04 at 22:00:47, Silly Philly wrote:
I wouldnt bother with those old things if I were you.  Personally I favour an ancient egyptian levitation technique.

Ok it may take some time to master (about 30 years with a good master to train you) but on balance its a fair deal.

Failing that, you may be able to pick up a second hand magic carpet somewhere in peru if you're round that way, though this is clearly the lazy man's option.

Silly

Looks like Silly has been on the wine gums tonight Shocked Roll Eyes Grin

Posted by WavieDavie (WavieDavie), 31 January 2004
All of ours are from Ramsays in Forfar - trade discount is 20% off list prices but then add vat.

x1 6ft double
x1 10ft double
x2 11ft doubles
x1 10ft triple
x1 11ft triple
on the K+H roofrack with rear rollerbar for the three of us

Non-slip feet and wall wheels fitted on all of them except the short sticks (that's an old scratcher's term for ladder if there's any young whippersnappers up at this time of night - or reading this when they get in!) and scratcher is a shortened version of "Diamond Scratcher" - I got that from an ex-window cleaner who had packed in the tools and split his time between running a cafe and breeding showdogs (an unsavoury habit and I'm sure there's laws against it) Seems it's what window cleaners tell the uninitiated when we're asked what we do for a living.

Apart from all that, we have LadderJacks which level the ladders on uneven ground and can let you work at right-angles to rising steps, Rojak Stoppers for slippy surfaces, and LadderMitts for the top of the stiles.

And stop picking on Philly!! Even if he has been on the sauce, his grammar, syntax, ( http://www.wordreference.com/English/definition.asp?en=syntax  if you're stuck) and general grasp of the English language should mark him out for an award compared to others. Quite frankly, some posts are painful to read, even although the meaning is clear.

Oh well, that's me getting flamed in the morning. Prizes for the best written, of course  Wink

This post was sponsored by a Tesco half price offer on a particularly nice Vina Mara Rioja  -  Enjoy!!
Posted by poleman (poleman), 1 February 2004
is it me or have ladders come down in price over the years Huh any one

andy

dorset

fed member
Posted by wrighty (wrighty), 1 February 2004
Peeps,

I have looked at diy stores and I could pick some up for £100 or go to a trade outlet and pay £250.

Thats the reason for my question and should I buy pointers?

Cheers

Craig

Posted by WavieDavie (WavieDavie), 1 February 2004
Hi Craig,

I started off with a pair of domestic ladders from Dodge City, now B+Q, and they lasted eight months - but they were economical and got me started.

However, for not much more money - and less in the long term as they survive longer - go for trade or industrial grade, you won't regret it.

There's been a few threads lately about the pro's and con's of straight Vs pointers - have a search for them. It seems that anyone who converts to pointers never looks back, I've seen a local cleaner who has a pair of them so I'm going to ask him for a trial run.

Years ago I had a claim against me, as a young lad had fallen off his ladder, the first thing the man from my insurance company did was to check the grade of ladder - it should be marked on the maker's plate.

So, straights or pointers? It's whatever you're happiest with, but never scrimp on quality, and never buy a second hand ladder - you don't know where it's been or what it's done.

Posted by Simon_King (Simon_King), 1 February 2004
Sorry to be blunt but anyone who uses DIY ladders is a fool. We use our ladders way too much to risk our necks on gear that is only meant to be used every so often.
Some guys like DIY ladders cos they are lighter and cheaper but I think this is dangerous as well as false ecconomy. They just won't stand the pace. I think that WWW.ladders999.com is Lansford Access down in Bristol. I've bought three ladders from them and I like them. When you buy ladders I would always recomend getting the non -slip Articulated feet fitted [ they look like the bottom of a moulded football boot]. The ladder mits are great as is the rojack stopper and the microlite stand off. The microlite conforms to Health & Safety regs regarding being tied off at the top of your ladder - useful if you work alone. If you join the Federation you can get all the Health & Safety advice you need.

Posted by g_griffin (g_griffin), 1 February 2004
How much do you spend on ladders?

What on birthdays or Christmas ?
Oh and don`t forget Valentines Day will soon be upon us.  Grin

Gerry.
Posted by pdhanson (Silly Philly), 1 February 2004
I was in rather in blase mood the other day, here's a real answer:

We bought some 3.41 metre triples (trade duty) from lansford [www.ladders999.co.uk] at a cost of £179. (Not "Pointers")

These are good for most jobs, though I have never tried pointers and some window cleaners swear by them.

I also use an Ankalad Ladder Leveller as Bristol is quite hilly and we have lots of houses on uneven ground.  These cost around £30.  I have heard some people say they don't like them as they take too much time to fiddle with, but I would recommend using one.

Important note regarding price:
Lansford sell ladders made by Titan under their own brand.  It is considerably cheaper to buy these same ladders directly from Titan.  A friend of mine got the same ladders as us for £100 less.  I don't think they deliver, but their factory is in Bristol if you live near.

Thanks Wavie - I wasnt on the sauce, I just spent too much time logged on!  Regarding spelling, syntax and grammer, see my post about the fed magazine.  Reading that makes me cringe!

Silly
Posted by WavieDavie (WavieDavie), 2 February 2004
Thanks Wavie - I wasnt on the sauce, I just spent too much time logged on!  Regarding spelling, syntax and grammer, see my post about the fed magazine.  Reading that makes me cringe!

Don't worry chum, you're preaching to the converted! It's probably to do with the local dialect coming through on the printed page. To be honest, every time I hear a Scottish accent on the telly or films, it makes me cringe.
Posted by washglowboy (washglowboy), 7 February 2004
Get a Pointer or A ladder a most essential piece of equipment for Pro.
Also get a good Ladder Pref with a Brit Kite Mark because if you should have an accident then you might fined some Insurance comp will be reluctant in paying up.  Undecided
Posted by Spoonbill1970 (Spoonbill1970), 27 March 2004
Hi Y'all,

Just bought my first set of TRADE duty ladders after years of replacing DIY ones every couple of years. To verify Simon_King's comment, I can't believe the difference in the quality of these ladders.  Bought 3.5 meter-9 meter triple (from ladder-pro.co.uk or AKA ladders-online.co.uk - Outstanding next-morning delivery £141.00 inc VAT & Delivery)  They are absolutely solid when going up any height, and I just feel so much safer.
You can't put a price on safety.

Enjoy the rugby.
Wooden spoon for us Scots methinks-wonder if there are any famous ex-sportsmen who window clean? I Think Jeff Astle was one of us... Undecided

JSP

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.