Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

What hours do you work

Posted by ALEXDH (ALEXDH), 5 October 2003
Hi

If you have read some of earlier posts you may know i am considering starting up.

I was wondering do you most of you fella's find you work evening's or is there a healthly number of housewifes wanting your services in the normal 9:00 - 5:00 day.

Ever been offered more to clean in the nude I hear its popular in germany. Grin Grin Grin (Only a joke).

Posted by Cloverleaf (Cloverleaf), 6 October 2003
You will find most of your jobs will be during the day 9-5
as most people like to have house free at tea time for when kids & hubby get home. Roll Eyes
John
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 6 October 2003
Hi Alex

The hours that you work will be determined by the type of work that you go after.

Commercial can be mostly nightime or weekend operations whilst domestic during the daytime.

Don't neglect the family or yourself...its easy to get carried away working all hours and forget those you live with.

Most of my work is domestic these days (by choice) and I start from between 7.30am and 9.0am and finish between 3.0pm and 5.0pm with NO weekends...that'll do me

Regards
Derek
Posted by carpet_bright (carpet_bright), 7 October 2003
I usually work between 8.30am and 5.30pm but sometimes certain jobs can run later ie, whole houses.
The more experience you get, the better judgment you get for estimating time on a job and therefore you can plan your diary accordingly.
I do work the occasional Saturday but make sure I take other days off instead to spend time with the family  Smiley
Sundays are a big no no unless financially worth it  Wink
Regards

Paul
Posted by nick_warrenevans (nick_warrenevans), 7 October 2003
If i'm cleaning domestic carpets i normally start after 9.00 when the mums have done the school runs and very rarely work after 4.00pm.

As Paul said the more experienced you are the better you become in judging the time it takes. Also if possible veiwing the place first can help.

I also have discovered that most customers will fit into your timetable if they want you and so i will not work w/ends nor evenings. It is very easy to carried away and work all hours.  

Nick

Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 7 October 2003
I start work at  6.30am and finish sometimes at 10.30pm Shocked Shocked

but it depends what you concider work,  actually putting the wand on the carpet I start at 8.30 and usually finish about 3.00 I often work a Saturday morning.

I'm quite sad really, when I get up in the morning (at 6.30 before any one else gets up) I do some paperwork  then i check out all the carpet cleaning websites. On an evening I'm often chatting online with other carpet cleaners until 10.30ish.

so if you concider anything to do with work to be work, then I'm a workaholic because I work a 16hr day!

Mike
Posted by ALEXDH (ALEXDH), 7 October 2003
can i be quite rude , i assume that as you work a 16 hour you ruddy raking it in yes.

Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 7 October 2003
Alex I don't think you understand my sense of humour Wink

I don't really work a 16 hr day, I usually work  5-6 hrs a day but you are right about one thing, I am raking it in Grin Grin

The point I was trying to make in my first post was, not all the work i do is earning me money.

a lot of the work related stuff I do is for pleasure.

Mike
Posted by ALEXDH (ALEXDH), 7 October 2003
Doh , i did not read it correctly first time round, sorry.

Glad to hear you are raking in.

"Find a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life."

Alex
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 8 October 2003
Hi

What Mike is saying is that if you enjoy your work and are really interested in it then it can, and very often does, become an obsession

That's why I am sitting here at six thirty am Roll Eyes

Regards
Derek
Posted by Novice (Novice), 8 October 2003
Does anyone know of any other decent carpet cleaning sites.
Posted by Tony_Browning (Tony_Browning), 8 October 2003
Try www.cleantalk.co.uk Cool
Posted by admin (Forum Admin), 8 October 2003
Hi Tony
I trust you'll advertise this site when you're next on it  Wink

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.