Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Happy at last! (One-Step)

Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 13 September 2003
I've never been happy with how i clean carpets Cry

I've always thought I could get it cleaner, get it to dry quicker, leave less residue, be healther.

So I mucked about with every machine I've ever bought, tweaking it, trying to get more  performance out of it. I've tried every chemical under the sun looking for  the best clean possible.

but  I can say now,  I'm happy at last!  

One-step pre-spray, High flow (3x no3 jets), high temp'(95-100+ degrees) freshwater rinse.

Carpets & upholstery are very clean, healthy, and no residue. ( This zero chemical rinsing also sells very well to customers Grin)

If you want to stand out from the crowd try this formula, its works fantastic and when you start explaining to customers why you're different from all the other carpet cleaners it really makes a differance ( and you can charge more )

Mike

Posted by Derek (Derek), 14 September 2003
Hi

Before you all get carried away with Mike's enthusiasm for his machine... he did forget to put in his post that he does use a Bane Clean truck mounted unit.

Don't try to use his jet combination on a portable machine.

Hope that you don't mind me pointing this out Mike?

Regards
Derek
Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 14 September 2003
Derek, you'll have them all wondering how I get 100+degrees from a Bane Shocked.

you're right about the jets i use it might not be suitable with a portable or even a normal Bane, as you've probely read on the Cleantalk site I've heavily adapted my Bane machine. I use 2 power cord and have fitted a 'vac-box' which hold 2x3 stage heavy duty vacs. This with the Bane blower greatly increases the vac power.

The water is heated with a diesal burner which if I turned up fully would produce temps' of 140 degrees.

I forgot to mention in my first post that I'm also very happy with the water softner I've fitted althought to be truthfull I can't see any differance in the cleaning its another USP for me to sell to the customer,

" Yes Mrs Smith I use special water to clean your carpets"

Mike
Posted by Derek (Derek), 14 September 2003
Hi Mike

If you are in a hard water area then you should see the benefits of the water softener ... the pump will last longer for a start and you shouldn't get furing-up in the pipes on your T/M unit.

Incidentally.... have a good time in LA and look after John H...don't let him buy too much

Regards
Derek
Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 14 September 2003
Derek, has John told you his route to Vegas Shocked he's the only man I know who would fly via amsterdam!! his flight time is about 22hours.  the other lad whose going is scared stiff of flying and has nether been abroad before. I give them a 50-50 chance of  getting thier.

I'm picking them up at the airport so they get to thier hotel safely.

Mike

Posted by Lionel (Lionel), 14 September 2003
Dear Mike

Do you work for One Step as I cannot see the point of this post. I have tried the chemical and was not impressed.
Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 15 September 2003
Lionel, no I don't work for One-Step, I spoken to a lot of carpet cleaners who say the same as you they arn't impressed with One-step. but I like it.

As for the reason for this post, I suppose it does'nt have a purpose. I like to think these websites are to share knowledge and help other people in our industry.

I would hope if you came across  something that made your life easier or helped you do a better job you would tell us about it so we could all benefit from your experience.

Mike
Posted by Derek (Derek), 15 September 2003
Hi Lionel

Five years ago I was saying exactly the same as you and I just couldn't understand why a particular friend in the business was raving about it.

Then about twelve months ogo I tried again, low and behold I now use One-step almost all of the time.

There are several features that need to be considered..

1. After thoroughly prevacuuming you only need to mist the product onto the substrate to be cleaned.

2. Agitation is then key factor... I use a small machine with contra-rotating brushes for this. Brushes or sponges (scrunges) on upholstery.

3. Following this you can either do a plain water rinse or add a low pH rinse solution to the tank.

As it doesn't have detergents, solvents, enzymes or optical brighteners the finished result may not be as 'bright' as a conventional cleaning solution ...but it improves as it dries whilst the conventional chemicals tend to 'dull off'.

Its another one of the newer technologies that takes some getting used to.

Regards
Derek
Posted by woodman (woodman), 15 September 2003
Hi Guys

There has a been a lot of confusion over dilution rates when using one step something that even they have acknowledged.
I have settled for a 16:1 dilution rate for pre spray which works well for me,what rate are you guys working at?
Posted by Musicman (Musicman), 15 September 2003
Hi guys, I've been following the postings on this site with great interest and note that this is the first time that contra-rotating brush machines have been mentioned in relation to carpet cleaning.

As someone who has spent quite a few years in the contract cleaning industry, I've set up a sideline business dealing with one-off cleans - primarily in the commercial/industrial sector. This is to look after particularly difficult to clean surfaces such as 'altro', chequer plate, studded rubber etc. It can also includes carpet cleaning.

Subsequently I've also been asked to clean domestic carpets - an area I didn't really consider to begin with, and something I'm still considering.

Among the items of equipment I have invested in is a multi-surface cleaning machine which utilises the contra-rotation brush method. Whilst I am told that this is perfectly reasonable for domestic carpets, it is interesting that of all the methods and makes of equipment discussed in the site, that this is the first time it gets a mention.

Derek, along with Woodman and the Mikes, clearly has many years of experience in the industry and I would welcome his (or anybody else's) comments upon it's viability for cleaning in the domestic world. I have used it in my own home and it seems to do the trick - the pile is amazing afterwards and it seems to clean deeper that the hwe systems.

Additionally, one of the earliest posts discusses steam cleaners and the general consensus of opinion was to dismiss them as they do not agitate or vacuum the carpets. However some industrial steam cleaners are vacuumated and therefore (I'd have thought) should do the trick. After all isn't that all a hwe system is based upon. Furthermore, as steam operates at a higher temperature it kills the bacteria that causes smells thus eliminating them, leaves no chemical residue and is more effective against allergens. There is also a contra-rotation machine that can also utilise steam which, from the demonstration is highly effective on carpets.

Has anyone tried such a machine or have any comments?

Hope to get to the NCCA show on the Friday and look forward to meeting all the experts.
Posted by Derek (Derek), 15 September 2003
Hi Mr Musicman  ...love the name Grin

I use one of the Host machines (dry powder machine) for agitating chemical into carpet ... Sebo do a small machine with Contra rotating brushes too, I am sure there are others.
Many cleaners use a carpet groom to do the job but I find it hurts trying to brush the pile at six hundred revolutions a minute. Cry

HWE (hot water extraction machines) are really just glorified rinsing machines to remove soil and chemical residues from a carpet.

I am wary about using too hot a solution on carpets as some of the twist pile carpets have a 'cosmetic' twist to the yarns which has a nasty tendancy to burst, sometimes with a small amount of tap water applied with a trigger spray.
In other words the twist has been put into the yarn at too low a temperature.

There is a good friend of mine, (in the business), he lives down in Essex who always says 'We are not in the carpet cleaning business we are in the risk business'... I maintain that the trick is to minimise the risk or at least make it a calculated risk.

Regards
Derek

Posted by Lionel (Lionel), 15 September 2003
 Well Mike, I use all makes of chemicals from Chempsec
to Woodbridge and i guess your right we should tell each other about products which make our lives easier. I popped into my local distributor the other day and saw a new chemical. It has a better dilution rate than one step and works out cheaper, I am afraid Mike its Prochem Prespray Gold so you will never use it!!!
I was thoroughly impressed with this product and I have used it as a prespray and in my machine for upholstery. It worked great, give this a go instead of buying German chemicals!!!!
Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 15 September 2003
Lionel, I think my first post was slightly misleading, I do use other chemicals than just One-Step. most of the spotters that i use are from craftex ( British Grin)  and I do carry some Prochem chemicals  (Browning prescription, Citrus Gel)

I know about Prespay Gold, if your happy using it great. but it cannot match the versitility(sp) of One-Step.

what I'm confused about is you say you use it as a pre-spray and in your machine for upholstery, are you saying your use it as a rinse?

You may have read in a previous post that I think Prochem portables are over priced the same goes for thier chemicals. if your bothered where the chemicals are made then check out Craftexs.

Mike

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.