Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

putting prices up

Posted by woods_windows (woods_windows), 8 November 2003
hi guys how often do you put your prices up on commercial and domestic cleans and how much by i tend to put my house work up ones a year and about 50pence increace is this right or am i mad Grin Huh
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 8 November 2003
I think that is an excellent idea  Smiley I put mine up every April at the start of the good weather again and my customers now expect it Grin

Steve
Posted by safecleanlakes (safecleanlakes), 8 November 2003
Good on you Woody, you will probably be classed as totally insane for a statement like that, so maybe the idea isn't to almost to do it for free after all, welcome to the asylum.
If you really want to now what what madness constitutes then take a look at the ideas for pricing on the carpet message board  
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 9 November 2003
The problem is that if you dont put your prices up even by a small amount each year in five years time your round would probably be worthless. Obviously i use common sense though. If i have got a job that is already really well priced i would probably leave it untill next time. Smiley

Steve
Posted by g_griffin (g_griffin), 9 November 2003
I would say yes, put them every year even if only a small amount. That way your customers are expecting it and that`s half the battle- get them into good habits! Unfortunately I`m not speaking from experience so I`m now paying the price.  Gerry.
Thats what happened to me a few years ago and i had to drop a load of work in the end and start again Undecided So i learned a valuable lesson and make sure i regularly put them up Cheesy

Steve
Posted by Rick (Rick), 9 November 2003
so what would you guys say, about 10 pence a year?

the problem as i always see it is that the prices for practically all things (ie rent, taxes, food, clothing, windowcleaning products etc) haven't really increased in inflation at all. inflation has almost at a standstill at this moment in time. so its kind of hard to argue that we should (morally) do it. if it wasn't for people like us and others putting prices up for the hell of it, then inflation wouldn't exist anyway. just a thought.

my biggest problem at the moment is that i have a round with some houses at really good prices, and others that are like massive houses for practically the same price. i think i'm gonna have to put about 50 pence on those houses and then i'm gonna put 10p a year on all houses every january from then on
Hi Rick,
         Over the last few years loads of things have gone up  Roll Eyes What about petrol,Council Tax,Food, Insurance has gone up a lot over the last few years Shocked

Steve
Posted by g_griffin (g_griffin), 9 November 2003
I think Steve is right, I know inflation is low at the moment and people could question a rise in price above the current level (especially yearly) but we`re running a business and have costs. How many other businesses pass on an increase in their costs to the customer by raising prices.  Gerry.
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 9 November 2003
When it`s April they will go up by 25 pence , thats not a lot  on each house, but it`s the thought that counts  Cool
I think April is a good time because the good weather starts appearing again and most customers notice their windows more then. Cheesy

Steve
Posted by woods_windows (woods_windows), 9 November 2003
hi guys wile were on this subject on money do you all get your collecting in on a collecting night or do you get any that have you coming back all the time and do you charge extra for calling back or just dump them Shocked
I picked April because its the new tax year .
And with the bad payers as Anne Robinson  would  say you are a bad payer goodbye  Cool
Posted by woods_windows (woods_windows), 9 November 2003
that sounds great majestic i have started to ask them to leave money with next door customer if there going to be out at the end of the day they wouldnt wait for there wages iam shure..i do well colecting but i do get the odd cheaky type who like to have you call back 10 times
When i get a new customer now i always get their phone number and although most just send me a cheque the ones that drag it out i always ring the night before and tell them i am coming and get them to leave the money somewhere Cheesy Its cheaper than keep calling back all the time Angry

Steve
The way that I look at it is on there pay day do they get there money , are they told to come back on Monday, they have done a job and expect to get paid for it  so why should I wait , and I dont , I used to but you learn from these things so now they get the 2 chances then goodbye, there are lots of  people who need a window cleaner  out there . Cool
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 10 November 2003
I had a customer a few months ago who kept telling me how she just found it so hard to get a window cleaner. But then she started messing me about with payment so i guess she is out their looking again Roll Eyes

Steve
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 10 November 2003
Steve
Do you not have a bed , posting 5.53 am  Cool
Hi John,
          Thats late for me! When i was getting my office cleaning side of the business up and running i used to be at my first job at 4am Shocked But i am to old for that these days Cry  About the only thing that gets better with age is that you get wiser Cool

Steve
Hi Steve
I thought only burglars  got up at that time Grin
What time do start / finish work then ,
I start about 8 and finish 2 , ive had enough by then  Cool

Hi John,
           One morning when i was going in at about 3.45am i got pulled up and they followed me all the way to the job where security told them i was legit Grin Roll Eyes These days though i work like you from 8am till 2pm Cheesy

Steve
Steve
Are you a sole trader or do you have others working with/ for you .I work by myself, I had someone working for me but it was more trouble than it was worth .If you want something doing do it yourself, I had more comebacks when I had someone with me , so now its just me and if I want to start late I can,and  if I want to go home early I remember that my wife will be in so I keep working Grin Cool

John
Hi John,
           Yes with the window cleaning i work on my own because like you i have had people before but it was non stop hassle Sad

Steve
Posted by g_griffin (g_griffin), 11 November 2003
How true you are! I`m on my own now and going to stay that way. Oooh, I`m starting shaking thinking about one lad that worked with me.It was like picking up Norman Wisdom and the ChuckleBrothers (rolled into one) every morning.  Gerry.
Posted by Bones (Bones), 11 November 2003
Was that me?? ha ha Grin Grin Wink
Posted by g_griffin (g_griffin), 11 November 2003
Please don`t do that! You`re giving me flashbacks. Anyway on your post there`s a picture of a window cleaner up a ladder,that could never be him. Gerry.
Posted by woods_windows (woods_windows), 11 November 2003
YES TAKING ON LADS TO HELP IS NOTHING BUT TROUBLE .AND IVE TRYED QUITE A FEW IN 14YEARS ITS NOT WORTH THE HASTLE OR THE COMPLANTES Cry
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 11 November 2003
The trouble is paying someone when you get wet weather Shocked

Steve
Posted by woods_windows (woods_windows), 11 November 2003
HI STEVE DO YOU WORK IN THE RAIN I USELY PACK UP AND GO HOME BUT I NO WINDOW CLEANERS WHO WORK IN REAL HEAVY RAIN THEY ARE SHOCKED WHEN I SAY IVE HAD A BAD WEEK AND THEY WORKED AND MADE A FORTUNE AND THE TROUBLE IS I PACK UP THEN WHEN I REACH HOME ITS STOPED RAINING AND ITS BRIGHT SUNSHINE AGAIN YOU CANT WIN HA HA HA
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 11 November 2003
Hi
 No i dont work in the rain because the customers just dont like it. Shocked But i do carry on if it starts raining half way around a job.

Steve
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 11 November 2003
I am the same if it starts to rain and I have started I will finish then go home . I just dont like geting wet .
Same in the winter  you know that its time to go home when your water freezes upCool
Posted by fez (fez), 11 November 2003
You just don't get good results in the rain.

It's not worth it, customers don't like it, it's harder work and it makes you feel miserable....what's the point? Huh

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.