Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Best Dry Vac

Posted by Alan_Harrison (Alan_Harrison), 8 November 2003
Ok chaps lets start another argument.

What's the most effective dry vac.

Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 8 November 2003
the Dyson,  HA HA HA HA HA Grin

a motorised head fitted to your HWE ( with a dustdowner fitted)

this will give100% total filtration even better than a HEPA filter

after that a Kirby

Mike
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 8 November 2003
Hey Mike

A serious question....

Why are you laughing when you mention the Dyson?

When they first came out and for a period after they were the 'must have' household item.

Many people have now 'gone off' them... is the honeymoon period over?

For what reasons are they being abandoned?

We don't own a Dyson so I really don't know ...please enlighten me!

Derek
Posted by lindsey (lindsey), 8 November 2003
Dysons do have good suction but the one I have is heavy, doesn't get edges very well (corners not at all). But the worst feature is the extendable hose system - it is a pain to keep getting out and the machine tends to fall over when it is fully extended. I only use mine now for a quick flip around the middle of rooms. For a more thorough edge to edge job it's back to the "dumpty"! Roll Eyes
Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 8 November 2003
I think people where fooled be the fact they could see the dirt that was being picked up. I concider them to be over-priced you could a normal vac for half the price and still do a good job of vaccing your carpets.

I laughed because I remember walking into customers houses carrying my vac and the customer telling me i did'nt need it because the vacced last night with there 'dyson'.

but  its not about the tools you use, its about your technique, go nice and slow and use the 80/20 rule.

Mike
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 8 November 2003
Mike,

Whilst, like yourself, I use a motorised head but when not specificaly doing an asthma treatment I find it more convenient to attach it to a Victor D9 tub vac rather than have 50+ foot of heavy hose to drag arround.

The advantge of the motorised head over an upright vacuum is that, provided you have sufficient vacuum power to sustain airflow,  the head seals to the carpet, drawing air through rather than hovering above it drawing air across it.

For large areas I use a Clarke 22" pile lifter.

John.
Posted by A_to_Z_Clean (A_to_Z_Clean), 10 November 2003
Grin
Sebo is the best becuse i just payd for one Grin Grin Grin

Adam
AtoZ Clean
Posted by pre-vac_Nick (pre-vac_Nick), 10 November 2003
Roll EyesHello

I to use a sebo and a Karcher cw50.... both at the same time because i just loovvveee to pre-vac!!! Wink

i use them on alternate days and get them serviced every 12 months, and touch wood neither has broken down.....Yet Grin Roll Eyes
Posted by carpet_bright (carpet_bright), 10 November 2003
I use my trusty Karcher CW50, no complaints yet however I did have a suction problem last week and then discovered a clove of garlic stuck up the old pipe.
Smell should have been  a give a away Tongue
Good vac though at a reasonable price  Grin

Paul
Posted by joeseph (joeseph), 10 November 2003
Sebo,

My customers are well impressed with them.
I've sold three to different customers in the last month,
didn't make much on them Wink

Joe
Posted by Alan_Harrison (Alan_Harrison), 11 November 2003
I went for the Sebo BS36

Thanks for your input everyone.

This NG keeps me thinking about buying new gear all the time. Upgradeing my Prochem 400 soon I think.
Posted by Jim_Lynch (Jim_Lynch), 11 November 2003
I use a Karcher CW 100. I have heard good reports on the Dysons, but I used one, my son's, and found it very "plasticky" (is that a word!) and difficult to manoeuvre.
I find the Karcher less than great on picking up things like paper clips etc..

Jim

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.