Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

General Cleaning Issues - Floorcare, car valeting, buying and selling businesses, pricing, staffing, market research, etc.

Pressure Cleaning

Posted by denzle (Denzle), 14 January 2004
Last weekend i did a pressure clean job on a shop front that was right on a main city road. The paintwork was very grubby from the usuall city grime, I wrongly assumed that pressure washing alone would remove it.
I ended up scrubbing the whole frontage down with various cleaners and then pressure cleaning that off. The job turned out well which was a relief as i thought at one point i was going to have to walk away from it.
My question is what chemicals do others use to remove city grime on paintwork.
The pressure washer i use is more than enough for most jobs and i have various lances and tips but nothing would shift this stuff.
I ended up using bleach and various liquid cleaners.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Denzle
Posted by Auto_Groom (Auto_Groom), 19 January 2004
What you need is to use a degreaser in the presure washer that will remove all the city grime because 98% of grime in the city is burnt oil  from exaust systems.
Andy
Posted by johnstanley (johnstanley), 21 January 2004
hi denzle
have you tryed soda crystals mixed with detergent
soda is good on oil and is cheep Grin
all the best john Smiley
Posted by denzle (Denzle), 21 January 2004
Thanks John, i'll give it a try.
Would this be anygood for oil stains on driveways by any chance ?
Denzle
Posted by johnstanley (johnstanley), 21 January 2004
hi denzle
yes Grin
if theres a lot of oil soak it up first then use the soda if you've got a hot washes all the better
good luck john

Posted by petra (petra), 21 January 2004
If the oil has penetrated the concret/brick then the deep staining will never be completly removed.
Petra
Posted by Kevin_Whitlow (Pepe Le Pew), 26 January 2004
on 01/21/04 at 23:22:07, petra wrote:
If the oil has penetrated the concret/brick then the deep staining will never be completly removed.
Petra

Absolutely correct. It is so much easier,quicker and cost-effective to replace blocks than messing about with acids,hot or cold washer detergents.As a rule contractors leave spare blocks with the homeowners on completion.
Denzle fyi bleach in its concentrated form is caustic soda so if you`re having trouble removing any stains be careful with this kind of stuff!

Posted by Old_Master (Old_Master), 1 February 2004
I would use TFR (traffic film remover) available in 25 litre drums. Glyn - Omnipole
Posted by washglowboy (washglowboy), 4 February 2004
Den
Try GUNK  you can buy it from most car accessorie shops ,ie : Halfords
that would most likely shift oil deposits
washglowboy Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Posted by denzle (Denzle), 4 February 2004
Thank you everyone for the help.
Denzle
Posted by kb58 (keith b), 5 February 2004
Denzle

Check out > [url][/url]www.oiltechnics.co.uk
Posted by Les (Les), 6 February 2004
Hi keith.
that Oiltechnics link was very useful.
I've rung them and asked for info/prices for the removal of oil stains.
I will of course be asking for a 'free' sample to try out.
I'll keep you all posted if I get anything.
Les
Posted by Darren_Sharpe (Darren_Sharpe), 6 February 2004
Hello Denzle

My company has just the product for your problem, in fact any hydrocarbon issue.  Within our range is a product called FleetKleen it is a bioremedial cleaner for use on oils, diesel, fats and city grime.  You can use it by hand, steam/jet washers, and scrubber driers. If you would like to contact me I can give you the full details and email some photos of the product being used.  Office No 08450 636666 www.soilandwater.net.
Regards

Darren Sharpe

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.