Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Air Movers

Posted by Ken_Wainwright (Ken Wainwright), 14 October 2003
I called into Broughtons today to pick up some spares. I have their new catalogue and their regular spec 3 speed Powerblo blower is £190. They have just launched a new Baby Powerblo which is 3 speeds and weighs less than 5kg for £99. They do discounts for more units too. Although their name isn't generally that well known, I noticed orders there for 2 of the bigest players in the fire/flood industry, so they shouldn't be a tuppenyhalfpenny outfit. I don't know if they still do it, but when I last bought kit from them, they price matched with a competitor. As for spares, a switch and knob today cost me £6.15inc. V.A.T. and nothing seemed too much trouible for them.  www.broughtoneap.com

Whilst I'm not associated with this company, I like to applaud good service. But if they'd like to send me a blank cheque........
Posted by stevegunn (Steve Gunn), 14 October 2003
I noticed someone mentioned care should be taken when using air movers in confined spaces  Huh are they any good?
Posted by Ken_Wainwright (Ken Wainwright), 14 October 2003
Like all tools of the trade Steve, when you need one they are superb. Whilst I don't use mine all the time, a "trick" I have used to good effect is to point the blower out of a door or window. The moist air within the room is being exhausted, but you're not creating any problems. Not so effective but better than nothing.  If you are using it conventionally, dont have it blowing directly onto furnitue from a close range or you could end up blowing moisture INTO the structure rather than drying correctly.
Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 14 October 2003
Funny how people have different Ideas, i always point them into the room to bring in dry air I also if possible open the patio doors and position one in the opening facing inwards.

as for forcing dampness into a fabric, sorry Ken but I don't think this happens.

Steve, dryers are essential. If mine broke i would'nt clean suites until I'd fixed them. I would never leave a suite wet.

Mike
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 15 October 2003
Any one who has ever used an airmover can testify to its' effectiveness.

As to the downsides, appart from Christmas cards & decorations, poorly hung mirrors and pictures etc., the less oviouse hazards to be aware of include sooty chimbleys and the rather pretty 'snowstorm' that can result from a fluff-filled radiator Grin. (Quite a shock first time)

On the subject of siteing, evaporation is accelerated by the air passing directly over or through the fibres,whilst it is also desireable to exhaust the damp air from the room. For the greater part of the year a single blower is probably best located where it blows over the carpet, towards an open window. summer heat waves I choose whatever make me most comfortable!

John.
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 15 October 2003
I had forgotten the fluffy radiators John thanks for reminding me...

Don't point towards fresh flowers, petals and stamen can leave colour on the carpet if you blow them on to it.
Pot Pourai ...try picking up all the bits after subjecting a dish full to a blower.... you only do this once

Derek
Posted by Ken_Wainwright (Ken Wainwright), 15 October 2003
Sorry if I didn't make my earlier posting clear. I would only point a blower out of the door/window if using it internally created problems such as those already mentioned by others.

As for positioning a blower too close to upholstery so that air is blown into the structure, I must disagree with you Mike. This problem is well documented and has been discussed at both IICRC and NCCA courses that I have attended. Can't remember about the Prochem course 'cos I did that a very long time ago. Any comments Yoda?
Posted by woodman (woodman), 15 October 2003
Hi ken

you raise an important point especially when cleaning furniture with feather fillings never dry directly or too close to the item being cleaned as moisture can be pushed through the item.

I use a Santana which is not so fierce as a turbo drier this will NOT leave the furniture completley dry on leaving but will speed up overall drying times considerably

I can't quite see how the very last piece of furniture cleaned would be completely dry when you leave anyhow, unless you hang around until it is. Undecided

Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 15 October 2003
Ken we'll have to agree to disagree on that one Wink

Woodman i can see your point, but by the time you've packed away, posted your nextdoor nieghbour cards ( something I do on every job) the last item is usually dry, if it is'nt, yes I do stay and chat to the customer until its dry.

remember I use 3 blowers.

Mike
Posted by woodman (woodman), 15 October 2003
Hi Mike

Fair enough,  I could see with 3 driers it would be dry.

But don't you think 3 driers is a bit extreme or do others out there in cleaning land do the same?

I only use the one. Wink

Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 15 October 2003
Hi Guys

The rule of thumb is that to facilitate drying you should have an 'ambient temperature and air movement'

The rule doesn't state catagorically whether the blower should or shouldn't be directed at the item to be dried.

Ken, if you recall on the various courses that you and I have been on over the years, mention of a drying principle for damp/wet carpets whereby the air movement across the surface creates a vacuum which in turn 'lifts' the moisture out.
I would imagine this principle applies to upholstery too therefore blowing air across the surface of the fabric would be the correct method.
Ken, was it called the 'Fellini' principle....my mind is going

Regards
Derek aka 'Yoda'
Posted by Mike_Boxall (Mike_Boxall), 17 October 2003
Hi
For those looking for blowers we supply a 3 speed 3500cfm machine for £181.00 plus vat - for more details see http://www.express-cleaning-supplies.co.uk/shopbask/it110001.htm

It has a 2 year warranty which can be extended to 5 years for £75.00. We would offer a discount for multiple units.

Regards

Mike

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.