Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Starting a window cleaning business - Equipment you need, suppliers to use and trade organisations to join, etc.

UP OR DOWN

Posted by TC (TC), 14 January 2004
Is it best to start cleaning the windows at the front of the house or round the back or at the side if its not a terrace house.

Would you clean the downstairs windows first or upstairs.

Thanks
TC
Posted by sham33 (sham33), 14 January 2004
Upstairs first because if u do bottoms first u might drip soapy water on the downstairs windows u have just cleaned.  Grin
Posted by freegarda (freegarda), 14 January 2004
I always start with upstairs, otherwise when you do the upstairs, you risk dripping water onto the windows youve just cleaned Undecided end up having to do them again
Posted by TC (TC), 14 January 2004
Do I start at the front of the house or round the back.
Posted by sham33 (sham33), 14 January 2004
Do I start at the front of the house or round the back
What ever takes your fancy  Smiley It doesn't really matter either way. Actually i would do the front first. Your less likely to make people jump. Gives them a chance to spot you.
Posted by WavieDavie (WavieDavie), 19 January 2004
We normally start furthest from the door you collect the money from.

When you're a couple of windows away from the end of the job that's when you ring the bell. So you're still working when they're scrabbling about for the money and not waiting about, losing working time.

Just count up the number of times someone's seen you cleaning their windows and are totally unprepared for you actually asking for money when you knock their door - amazing isn't it!

All the best,

Davie
Posted by pdhanson (Silly Philly), 21 January 2004
I hate that.  

Especially when they then take ages to answer, making you think...

"Did they hear?  Will they think I'm cheeky if I ring again?  Is the Bell working?  Should I knock as well?  Should I just be polite and leave a card, only to be chased down the street by them with the money and indignantly shouting 'I was coming!'?"

Gets my goat bigtime that.

Any customers reading this -
ANSWER THE FLIPPIN DOOR FOR GOODNESS SAKE!

Silly

Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 21 January 2004
I dont use the bell, just give them a loud knock , most of my customers know where I start and finish so when I get to the end they can pay me
Posted by stephen_gary (stephen_gary), 22 January 2004
Up or down? an interesting dilema.
When out cleaning domestic windows an old favourite of mine is to avoid the problem of starting at the back side or front of the house by adoping the following work ethos. Upon arrival place the ladders against the front of the building, give the customer a little knock to check that they're in. When they come to the door ask the following questions in a cheeky cap in hand manner.
"ello guvner, any chance of some water, only her next door does'nt want to know". upon receipt of the water respectfully state "looks like rain again guvner, i don't fancy goin up them ladders if it does" when you have gained their empathy thank them respectfully and proceed as if you are about to embark on a thoroughly retchid task thus turning empathy into sympathy.
When you are sure that the customer is not watching, proceed to a local eatery , where you can pass the alloted cleaning time in warmth and comfort whilst at the same time enjoying a hearty breakfast.
After this return to the house, pack up your ladders and bid farewell to the client in the following manner " all done now guvner, we could'nt get to the upstairs in the box room because of the pot plants, but we'll make good any missed next month". Ensure that payment is made in full (cash of course) and then bid them gooday.

Hope this is useful
Posted by WavieDavie (WavieDavie), 22 January 2004
Dear Stephen,

I haven't been on this board all that long, and I must say that some of your posts are extremely entertaining, what with your quirky take on life, and I'd be grateful if someone of your eminence and standing in our industry could enlighten me as to the following . . .

Are you what's known as a troll? Or do you read Viz a lot in your spare time?

Curiously yours,

Davie
Posted by WavieDavie (WavieDavie), 23 January 2004
Stephen is unable to tell you if he is a troll because he has been banned from this forum.
"The defence rests, Your Honour, no further questions."

Ah well, swearing's banned in an effort to keep the standards high, so I can quite understand why that should be. Sometimes the line between humour and irony or sarcasm can be quite muddied.

Perhaps he should have put in a smiley or two -  Roll Eyes Wink - especially on a board asking for hints and tips for new startups!

If there was a Jokers Board on this forum I'm sure he would have been very popular. How did you find out he was banned - is he a friend, or closer?

Just curious as to the timescale between his last post and you letting us know, you realise.

Regards,

Davie
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 23 January 2004
Who was Steven  Huh
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 23 January 2004
Stephen_gary

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.