Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Starting a window cleaning business - Equipment you need, suppliers to use and trade organisations to join, etc.

do we need a van

Posted by p_and_j_cleaning (p_and_j_cleaning), 23 January 2004
HERES ONE FOR YOU.

Watching an old eppisode of corrie{ sad i know} when Stan hogden appers with his hand cart, ladder on the side and buckrt on top. YES I KNOW THINGS HAVE MOVED ON SINCE THEN, but what a good advertising tool, hand sign writen. Do you think it would bring in any new customers in my local area, i live in a small town, it would take about 15 mins to walk from one end to the other.
Posted by mickeyfat (mickeyfat), 23 January 2004
Yes, it has to!

i was going to get a robinn reliant and fill it with 3 midgets ( like from willy wonker Grin)
i was going to give them all a nice uniform each aswell

winner! Cheesy
Cheesy Grin Wink Smiley
Tongue
above was a joke  ( i think!!!!) Grin
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 23 January 2004
Where I live there is a window cleaner who does use a cart as he cant drive , but he still goes on the road with it, before he got the cart he used to carry his ladders on his bike , things have looked up so he got a cart.
Posted by Neil (wylie), 23 January 2004
There is a guy round here who about twenty years ago lost his driving licence so did his round with a horse and cart. Smiley
It even made the national papers
You cant get better advertising than that! Wink
He is still in the business and has been a great help in getting me started!!!

Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 23 January 2004
Their is a guy around here that still uses a bike. But it has not got any chain he just uses it to move his ladders from a to b   Grin

Steve
Posted by pdhanson (Silly Philly), 23 January 2004
I've seen window cleaners using a bike, to be honest I never saw the point.

He just pushed it along with his ladders and bucket on, I always thought it would be quicker to walk than faff around with a bike.  And I doubt he could've ridden with the ladders on!

Maybe he had a bad back

Silly
Posted by gibbouk (gibbouk), 23 January 2004
if all my work was local i would get a piaggio ape, the little 3 wheeler truck, 50cc engine, 15 quid a year tax, 90 mpg, they have a top speed of 25 mph but with the traffic round here thats about how quick you can go
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 23 January 2004
Have you ever thought of a classic van Huh Their is a company around here that have bought an immaculate Morris Minor van and had it sign written and that certainly gets them noticed Wink

Steve
Posted by Bones (Bones), 23 January 2004
There's an old boy round here that pushes all his gear around on a Shopping Trolley. When people ask if i have seen him before they say they'd payin him not to go up the ladder, he looks like he's about to peg it,.. Bless

Mikey
Posted by p_and_j_cleaning (p_and_j_cleaning), 24 January 2004
YES THOUGHT ABOUT AN OLD CLASSIC BUT I AM NOT ABLE TO DRIVE. THATS WHY I WAS THINKING OF A NICE SIGN WRITEN [ NOT PLASTIC LETTERING] CART, ONE TO GET MY KIT AROUND AND TWO TO ADVERTISE.
Posted by Londoner (Londoner), 25 January 2004
There is a guy round my way who still pushes a hand cart and it must get him noticed.
Anything that amounts to free advertising can only be good.
There are a lot of places round these parts where parking is a problem and a traditional sign written cart must be a great gimmick
Posted by Sunshine (Sunshine), 25 January 2004
Hi guys....some year ago I had a bike with a light weight side car welded to it. It worked really well
Posted by JohnM1 (JohnM1), 26 January 2004
Hi Guy's

I use a cart to push my ladders and gear around on as I don't drive.  I have just built a new cart and took it  out the first time today and I have to say I and really pleased  with it.

I am very well know  in Cheltenham, pushing my ladders around and everyone wants to stop and talk and I have got alot of work through it.

John
Posted by g_griffin (g_griffin), 27 January 2004
You can`t beat a van or car for that matter when it starts to rain, just go and shelter.
 Have a drink, something to eat,listen to the radio, read the paper- it`s no wonder I never get anything done  Grin

But they are handy apart from the obvious reasons for storing- clean water,dry scrims,new rubber(and scissors),spare squeegees and extra cleaning solutions etc.
           Gerry.

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.