Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

Second hand reach & wash

Posted by Squeaky_Clean (Squeaky_Clean), 22 September 2003
Just been to see a 2nd hand reach & wash system. Its a 1000 litre commercial system complete with 2 30ft poles & 1 65ft pole.  Installed in a x reg renault master 2.8 tdi, with 22,000 miles. according to seller it was previously owned by council. Spoke to ott could be about 2 1/2 yrs old. Whole system very clean & tidy. Is there anything I should consider before buying 2nd hand? What do you think this is worth £**.***?
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 22 September 2003
That is the only thing that makes me wonder with the waterfed poles. Why is their so many second hand ones for sale Huh

Steve Lowe
Posted by The_Fed_Man (The_Fed_Man), 22 September 2003
Is the van for sale with the system?  check out the van prices in your area, but i guess the van to be around £8K.  System and poles new worth around £9350 the poles could be well used so check by raising and lowering looking for slipping clamps and twisting sections.  I would offer 50 to 66% of the new value on the system and poles.  Prices + vat.  
Steve, mainly because people think waterfed poles are window cleaning on a stick, they are not for every window but score highly for health and safety.  There is a learning curve as well.
If you've been used to only doing bungalows & shops with a pointer you will find it harder work but if you come into it as I did from using 32 feet triples you will find it easier and quicker.
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 22 September 2003
Thanks Fed Man. Thats why i want to have a look a some systems because like you we use triples etc and they seem to get heavier and heavier each clean Cry

Steve Lowe
Posted by Squeaky_Clean (Squeaky_Clean), 22 September 2003
Ok i'll let you in on the asking price £15.995 +vat
What do you think? I didnt think it was that bad.
Do you think its worth me getting one, i do about 70% residential  right for small bungs up to 3 storey large houses, 30% commercial, shops, hotels, some large offices and factorys up to 35ft.
Posted by karlosdaze (karlosdaze), 22 September 2003
Someone once told me; "Don't think you will double your business with a purewater pole system, just think of it as an extra to your arsenal"
I agree with this. When washing windows that have never been water-fed, you'll find that getting the previous soap film off will take time. They never come out as good the first effort, even if you go over them 2 or 3 times. Investing in this system will give you a little more time saving in the long run, but too lay out big money without experience or trial is worth thinking about. I bought Pete Fogwill's system because I wanted to try out this method with little expense and also because I needed a method to wash awnings. His system will do everything a big system will do. The more work you get, will give you an idea of how big a system you want, ie water quantity. You can expand this system as you get more work, and buy the seperates as you need them.
The reason there are so many for sale, is because know one who has bought one has been instructed in its use.
The key, is too pulling the brush off the window and flushing down. This is harder than it seems on the 4th floor.

Squeekee,
Depends on the condition, my van figure may be a bit low but some of them get hammered, especially local authority.
Where you will see immediate gains is on your commercial ladder work, 2nd and 3rd cleans onwards.  Residential you will have to introduce it gradually or you may have a battle on your hands Tongue  If I was going to buy one I would want at least one day per week ladder work then from this with your increase in speed it will pay for itself.  A lot of the people who get rid of them have the wrong sort of work.
Posted by karlosdaze (karlosdaze), 25 September 2003
I got my info from newsgroups Grin
Do you think they would have come to Spain? Roll Eyes

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.