Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

Inside Domestics

Posted by Neil (wylie), 14 January 2004
I have been thinking about putting some flyers through the doors of my existing customers offering to clean the inside of there windows. Has anyone tried this and can you think of any problems I may encounter.
I still need a bit more work to fill my round up so wondered if this may keep me going till things get busier.

Posted by denzle (Denzle), 14 January 2004
Wylie,
Inside cleans can be more hastle than they are worth in my humble oppinion. Firstly the customer usually expects it to cost the same as the outside clean, there is always stuff on the window sills which needs moving, furniture to negotiate around, light coloured carpets, kids to trample on, priceless antiques etc etc.
I'd forget it and keep plugging away at growing your customer database, come spring time you'll have all the work you can handle.
Like i said.... just my humble oppinion
Denzle
Posted by fez (fez), 14 January 2004
I charge more for the insides usually around £15 - £20 and get the customer to move ornaments while I clean the outsides. Some jobs are good earners, others not so good.
Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 14 January 2004
Hi wyle
on your flyers why not offer to clean out there gutters,do washdowns to frames, guttering, facsia's etc these are good money earners.
Alan
Posted by pdhanson (Silly Philly), 14 January 2004
I have a few customers where I do the insides.  Ask them to completely clear all window sills before you start.  Your mop needs to be just damp, otherwise dirty water spills everywhere (this is where a bucket on a belt is invaluable).  Insides are never as dirty as outsides, so you dont need a soaking wet mop.

Cover any carpets below the window with a scrim.  If you have some, use shoe covers.  They're little elasticated plastic things (like a little shower cap) that you pop over your shoes.  This will save you time.  Don't be afraid to stand on a chair if you need to.  Sometimes its the only way.

Silly
Posted by Neil (wylie), 14 January 2004
Thanks Guys
Denzle i can see what you mean by all the problems Undecided but as the other guys said there seems to be a bit of potential there Smiley
maybe I will try a few houses first to see how it goes rather than landing myself with a load of trouble and if I get on OK then I can expand to other parts of the round Smiley
Posted by denzle (Denzle), 14 January 2004
I'd agree with Alan on this one.
Anything to do with height and customers get scared. Something to bear in mind when doing the top windows, is to have a look at the state of the gutters while your up there. If they are full of leaves and stuff let the customer know, chances are they'll snatch your arm off to get them cleared out. Its a mucky job thats cold on the hands so charge accordingly (Can you imagine what a builders call out charge is like)  Oh and by the way i'd do the gutters before the windows as you always get muck on the glass when doing them.
Denzle
Posted by Diamond_Vision (Jeff Brimble), 14 January 2004
Charge 2x as much as the exterior.
jeff
Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 14 January 2004
Hi again
Silly how do you get on with the overshoes I did not like them myself, so went down to marks and spencers and brought a pair of Moccasins slippers they are quite good have plastic soles and little grips on them always seem to be a talking point with my customers when I 1st brought them (went down really well).

i was doing a customers windows about 2 week ago and while i was up there gave about 1 foot of their guttering a wash when I came down I showed the customer the colour difference she could not believe it because if you looked at it from below the pvc did look white'ish.
She got me to empty guttering and wash guttering and fascias and charged her £40 for about 2hrs work.
cheers
Alan
Posted by karlosdaze (karlosdaze), 15 January 2004
I rarely do windows without doing the inside as well. I ask 60-70 euros which is about 50 quid. Most people don't trust you unless your recognised, insured, legal etc, so referals are a must. Yes you have the furniture removal hassles, antiques, net curtains, pets drinking your water, the overshoes (which I find look more professional, & the customers presume are new everytime).
I think this is worth it for the money involved. The only trouble is juggling the customers to when they are at home. Some of them just go out shopping and leave me to it, with the money on the table. I rarely ever have to go back to get paid. Inside & out for a shop window is worth 20-25 euros (20 quid), but also using gg4 you see the benefit more than washing up liquids. I also give them the tip that cleaning with a clean teatowel will remove handmarks from glass doors, persistant marks just dab in distilled water.
Hope this helps.
Posted by easycleanwindows (easycleanwindows), 15 January 2004
Guttering for £45.00? call a gutter cleaning company they charge £45.00 per metre to clean so i told all my gutter customers the same i charged £35.00 each side of house this is sucking out ,rinsing and outside clean.
We also done the sofits and fascia boards all in all 4 hours work windows £12.00-gutters three sides x £35.00 =£105.oo and all the sofits and fascia boards £100.00 total £217.00 and i still saved them money and we saved time by using indutrial wet/dry vaccum for clearing out the gutters,pressure washer for fascia and sofits and pure water for windows.We have now done 27 houses in this area without our regular residential or commercial insides i say £40 they say rather expensive but youd be supprised at the ammount of people who say yes..
Posted by Bones (Bones), 16 January 2004
on 01/14/04 at 21:03:07, Denzle wrote:
there is always stuff on the window sills which needs moving, furniture to negotiate around, light coloured carpets, kids to trample on, priceless antiques etc etc.

Denzle

Notice I highlighted the Priceless Antiques?? Well, I've just been asked to do the insides of an art gallery in Southwold (Ching Ching), loads of Art all different kinds (Scary) But it's in an area full of £££!! a bit like the Wentworth of suffolk.

Now how much do i chargeHuh £ or ££ or £££££££  Grin

Mikey

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.