Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

What bank is the best?

Posted by allseasons (allseasons), 13 January 2004
hi all , just got my bank statement from the Lloyds tsb,   i have only had it for 2years  so i get 50% off but the charge's still end up being well over £15 a month next year it will be £30,  most of that is cheque charge's , that i dont want to add to the punters bill.

so what bank is the best and why?

Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 13 January 2004
Hi allseasons
                   I bank with Lloyds Tsb as well and i am just getting up to my years free business banking. I will look around at other offers soon and when i find a decent deal i will telephone my bank manager and if he can not match it its bye bye.

Steve
Posted by allseasons (allseasons), 13 January 2004
am thinking the same, the charge's are daft i would only be willing to pay that much if i was banking £100+ cheque's but let's face it not many window cleaning job's pay that much ,  am banking loads of cheques from £5 to £50 there taking .27p a cheque when i put them in,  and when i take money out they take another 30p-50p so after the tax man get's his what am i left with ? Undecided Undecided Undecided
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 13 January 2004
I use Abbey National free business  banking, no charges if you dont go over  Grin I used to use Barclays but they were sh##  Cool
Posted by MB (Mark Betts), 13 January 2004
Yup

Abbey National here too.

Pretty good.

Mark

Posted by fez (fez), 13 January 2004
And me! - Abbey National Free Business Banking. Wink
Posted by pdhanson (Silly Philly), 14 January 2004
We use abey national too, its ok but you cannot use the branches, only by post or cash machines.  Also it seems to take ages for the transactions to clear.

It IS genuinely free though, no charges ever!

Silly
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 14 January 2004
Hi Silly
        So can you not go in the branch with a paying in book and do your banking in the normal way Huh

Steve
Posted by fez (fez), 14 January 2004
No, you have to post your money in through the cash machine, but it really is no hassle. You don't even have to queue. I even forgot to include a paying-in slip last week, I just put my money in an envelope and put it in the machine. I was a little worried at first, thinking that I'd made a terrible mistake but it was no problem as the machine registers your payment through your card.

I'd recommend them. Smiley
Posted by paul (paul), 14 January 2004
hi all
well i was with lioyds tsb Embarassed but transfered last september
to hsbc and they have been great theve bent over backwards to accomidate me i only had one phone call of lioyds in the two years i was with them Grinbut hsbc have made sure i have everything i need and there charges are a lot cheaper too Kiss
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 14 January 2004
You can even pay money into the bank when they are closed , so you dont have to rush to get to the bank before they close Cool
Posted by nige (nige), 14 January 2004
i opened a buisness account with barclays 13 years ago but realised i would be charged for paying in cheques and taking money out so i asked what the limit was on personal cheques and was told none so ive been paying in my cheques (most was 55 cheques in a week) no limit for free just told customers to make cheques payable to me so do you really need a buisness account
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 14 January 2004
I clean a school and am paid by lancashire county council , they will not make cheques payable to a individual s name it has to be a business acount Cool
Posted by pdhanson (Silly Philly), 14 January 2004
I did the same for years nige, that works fine.

However, once you start getting commercial jobs, (just my opinion) it looks more professional to have them make out a cheque to your company name.

Also, certain companies pay all of their suppliers by BACS or CHAPS and they can be reluctant to do this to personal accounts.

Also, it makes your year end accounts slightly easier to do, and therefore accountants fees a little bit lower.

-Steve - No you cant go into the branch, but if you need to set up something or talk to someone about an overdraft etc, you can do it over the phone.  Also their internet site is quite good, you can view all your transactions, transfer money etc all online.

Silly

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.