Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Chemicals down the drain

Posted by Special_Clean_Team (Special_Clean_Team), 25 February 2004
Can i say after arriving back from the ncca course i went to my Employers regarding equipment etc looks like i will be starting up myself sooner rather than later however i did say to them that as from now i must pour my waste down a toilet rather than a rain water drain. Now her reply was our chemicals are environmental friendly so dont worry can i ask if this could be the case and what would the PH have to be as far as im concerned a chemical is a chemical.
Thanks Guys

Posted by Northerclean (Alex), 25 February 2004
Are the chemicals used Non-Toxic or Biodegradable, if so then it should be ok but I'd still say you should put down the loo, but in saying this you stil need to read the data sheet to confirm it's ok. If the chemicals are not then your employer needs a lesson in H&S!

Alex
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 25 February 2004
SCT,

Regardless of how safe of biodegradeable your chemicals may be, since the waste water was generated by way of trade, IT IS TRADE EFFLUENT and must not be disposed of via a street drain.

The fine for doing so is up to £20,000 - and it is YOU who will be taken to court if caught.

It appears that policy does vary between local water authorities - see the lenghthy thread on this subject on this board.

John.

Posted by nick.solution (nick.solution), 25 February 2004
Hi Guys

As a supplier of very safe environmentally chemicals, the point is very simple, it may not always be the chemical you are using that presents the problem, it is the soil content in your waste tank that you have removed from the carpet/upholstery that is the problem, who knows what it contains, hence waste water should be disposed of in the correct manner.

Best regards Nick
Posted by Northerclean (Alex), 25 February 2004
I'lll take back what I said after reading the above comments

Alex
Posted by pre-vac_Nick (HolmansUKLTD), 25 February 2004
and bullys special prize.............

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.