Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

How does a Ninja machine compare ?

Posted by bruce_wiles (Bruce Wiles), 16 March 2004
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the carpet cleaning world, working as a sub-contractor cleaning carpets for about six months and have had an offer of a year old Ninja machine.  
Can anybody advise me as to the pro's and con's of a Ninja and are there any other machines better for about the same price.
I'm looking to clean buildings 8 - 10 thousand square feet each, that are very heavily used.
Your advice and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by Fintan_Coll (Fintan_Coll), 16 March 2004
As I have no experience of Ninjas I do not know how they compare with other machines but I can tell you that both Extracta and Alltec are good machines as I run both makes. The look of the Ninja has always put me off them but do not let that influence your choice.
Posted by mark_roberts (mark_roberts), 16 March 2004
DO NOT BUY A NINJA or any other portable for that matter.  Its a very good machine as I've got one but if your cleaning buildings this size and if its office carpet a texatherm system may be better.

if you need HWE then get a truckmount if possible.  Cleaning buildings this size, on your own, would be physically exhausting day in day out.

Howd you get these contracts?

thanks
Mark
Posted by Nigel_W (Nigel_W), 17 March 2004
Bruce,

It sounds to me like you need to invest in a truckmount. As has already been said you will tire very quickly of cleaning 10,000 sq feet buildings with a portable.

On the other hand the Ninja is a good reliable machine if looked after properly. Ideally you would want 2 x 3 stage vacs and the internal heat exchanger.

Good luck

Nigel
Posted by Ken_Wainwright (Ken Wainwright), 17 March 2004
Bruce

Much of the decision depends on what you want the machine to do for you. If you are just looking to clean low profile office carpet, I'd go with Chris R and the Dry Fusion option or Texatherm. You may just about get away with a generic bonnet system. The scenario above is where low moisture systems perform best (IMO)

If you're looking to move into residential work or even small commercial sites, then the Ninja is the type of machine to go for. If you are looking at medium to larger commercial premises, especially restaurants and licensed premises, then the only real world option is to take Nigels advice and go for a T/M.

Safe and happy cleaningSmiley
Ken
Posted by Northerclean (Alex), 17 March 2004
I have a Ninja and I personally think it's great, but as suggested a couple of time you may want a different machine.

Good luck
Posted by bruce_wiles (Bruce Wiles), 18 March 2004
Thanks for all the advice - sounds good  Smiley

I wasn't sure whether HWE was the answer, I'm using an old Steameasy 400 at the moment, and it hard going especially when the machine doesn't seem to be getting the soiling out of the more heavily soiled areas unless I go over the area so many times that I'm shattered at the end of the day.

I use prochem chemicals as I have been advised they are the best - is that right ? They seem okay to me ! The price is not so important as the finished result.

Or maybe it could be my technique, can anyone suggest where, in their opinion, to get the best training at the best price?

Thanks again  Grin
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 18 March 2004
Bruce

The same applies to training as chemical purchase... don't go on price.

Contact the NCCA (National Carpet Cleaners Association) regarding their two day training courses.

Tel: 0116 2719550

Cheers
Derek
Posted by bruce_wiles (Bruce Wiles), 19 March 2004
Derek

Yes - your right on the button about training I'll give them a ring.

Thanks  Smiley

Bruce
Posted by Ian_G. (Ian_Gourlay), 19 March 2004
Bruce

Some people spend the first part of their life NOT being cautious and end up regreting it.
Posted by sandrew (sandrew), 23 March 2004
bruce go for alltec advantage machine or truckmount  depending on the money uve got
Posted by lenpg (Len Gribble), 23 March 2004
Bruce

Ken is correct you need to determine what your core business is to be and them decide which is best for you and the customer.  As you are only referring to commercial building work, I will also like to add is the location and building environment this also dictates what system you use, each commercial job has its idiosyncrasy also note that if you do any large builders cleaning or contact work during/after refurbishment 110v equipment is needed, also a method statement, ppe etc. is needed, plus your parking arrangements  

Each method has plus and minuses this my not any sound sense to you but I have a tm/portables Ashby’s & Prochem (never a problem) and the generic bonnet system (this needs up dating) what works on one will not work on another.

Regarding training if you buy a new machine the manufacture gives the fundamentals to go further you will need the ncca

So pick your equipment very carefully it your money.

Len

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.