Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Double sided sticky tape

Posted by Alan_Kennedy (Alan_Kennedy), 10 February 2004
Has anyone encountered double sided sticky tape before?  I went to clean a cream coloured hall carpet yesterday afternoon and had to remove a plastic carpet protector which left two dirty sticky tram lines the length of the hall (14ft). I tried One Step with no success, Ultrapac Renovate with no success, then tried ZapIt stain remover, again with no success (not sure about dwell time with this).
Any ideas guys? I'd appreciate some help with this one.
Regards Alan.
Posted by strakercleaning (strakercleaning), 10 February 2004
Surely only a solvent will remove the glue residue Wink
Prochem Solvall has removed similar marks for me in the past, on an 80/20 carpet. Not sure of the carpet you are working on so may be more difficult Roll Eyes
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 10 February 2004
Alan,

This is not at all uncommon, fortunately there are several solvents that will remove the glue residue, however most will also attack latex, so some care must be exercided in their use.

Solvent of this nature should not be applied direct to the carpet but to a terry towel and the carpet pile dampened in a contolled manner, avoiding contact with the backing. Avoid aggresive rubbing, allowing the solvent time to soften the adhesive.

Suitable solvents include Prochem Solvall, Chemspec POG, d'Limonene and my current favourite, Solutions Eco Spotter (Micro-splitter + Alcohol).

John.
Posted by lenpg (Len Gribble), 10 February 2004
Smiley
John

You mention Solutions Eco Spotter (Micro-splitter + Alcohol).  Dose Eco Spotter contain Alcohol?

Len

Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 10 February 2004
Yesh Len, ish great (hic) Roll Eyes

Seriously, it contains no petrolum distilates, does not get up your nose, and works.

I have used it on glue, inks, make-up, shoe polish, even nail polish. Only had it for a few weeks but already a convert. Should also be a safer choice than some of the alternatives.

John.
Posted by squeaky (squeaky), 11 February 2004
That eco spotter sounds good  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Mark
Posted by Alan_Kennedy (Alan_Kennedy), 12 February 2004
Thanks to Chris and John for your help.

Regards Alan.

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.