Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Paint removal

Posted by lenpg (Len Gribble), 22 January 2004
Grin

I seem to be coming across a lot of paint on carpets, what products/method do you find the best for paint removal gloss and emulsion?  Also do you charge extra?

Len

Posted by Glynn (Glynn), 22 January 2004
Chemspec P.O.G

Glynn
Posted by cleaning (cleaning), 22 January 2004
P.O.G. is good but so is white spirit and its cheaper.
Posted by Glynn (Glynn), 22 January 2004
White spirits is more limited in its uses though

Glynn
Posted by Charles_@_lakeland (lakeland), 22 January 2004
Hi Len,

Jelsol is excellent also graffiti remover by auto glym.  

Regards
Lakeland
Smiley
Posted by brucie (brucie), 22 January 2004
Be careful of using white spirit if you are going to extract afterwards because of the flash point.
Posted by nick.solution (nick.solution), 22 January 2004
Hi Paint spots that are dry can be lightly sanded with coarse sand paper the dust can then be vacuumed out no chemicals required!! followed by a light rinse.

even if we do make a chemical that works on paint !!

Mikes got one or two as well!!

Best regards Nick
Posted by woodman (woodman), 22 January 2004
Hi Len

Don't use white spirit it's very unstable and if the carpets have a secondary backing it will loosen the latex
causing delamination and loosening of tufts.Often when you go into a property where the client has used white spirit you will see that there is what appeares to be a bubble under the carpet this is the reason why.

Not quite sure about Nicks method I would be worried about bursting the pile, of course you could nap of the pile by how low do you go.?

For Gloss paint you can use (with practice) Nitromors, you apply the gel,work it in with a scraper removing the excess as you go,keep your extracta at the ready to keep flushing out.
This method works very well especially on Axminsters and Wiltons but is time consuming so costs will be high and there is no guarantee of success.

Good Luck
Posted by Ken_Wainwright (Ken Wainwright), 23 January 2004
Make sure you use the water rinseable Nitromors, I think it's in a green container, and use your PPE.

Experience has shown with paint, as opposed to emulsion, minor spots and spills can be dealt with effectively. But major spills are usually a replacement job.

Safe and happy cleaningSmiley
Ken
Posted by lenpg (Len Gribble), 23 January 2004
Wink

I thank you all for your feedback, a lot of food for thought!

All you CC have great and prosperous year.

Len

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.