Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

Mossy Slippery Roofs

Posted by pdhanson (Silly Philly), 12 December 2003
Does anyone know a cure for mossy roofs?

I have a few houses where the roof tiles are usually ok to walk on, but in muggy weather like now the moss makes them too slippery.

I thought of carrying some bleach or something in a little spray bottle so it would be ok the next time.

Anyone had any success with this?

Silly
Posted by Ken (Ken), 12 December 2003
Pole system, surely?!
Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 12 December 2003
Hi
I have this problem with a few of my jobs and spoke to the customers about starting up a service to pressure wash these down, I told about Health and safety and said if I had enough people interested I'd buy the equipment. Been a lot interest.
Alan

Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 12 December 2003
Only one cure for a  mossy  roof dont clean it , tell them you will knock 50p off the price , if you slip you could be out of work for weeks and its not worth a couple of quid  Cool
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 13 December 2003
Like John i would not clean it unless i could use a wfp. I would rather lose 50p than break my neck  Roll Eyes

Steve
Posted by karlosdaze (karlosdaze), 13 December 2003
The last roof I had to walk on, the guy kindly left out 2 small planks of wood. All be it said, that the roof wasn't mossy. I remember once covering custom made wood wheel jacks with carpet, this did the trick!
I did get some literature on a product specially made for this through the post, I've hunted high and low, and can't find it. It was really expensive though, if I find it I'll post it.

Posted by karlosdaze (karlosdaze), 13 December 2003
The link is:-
http://www.provisiontools.com/prod2.htm
1 pairs of roof boots were $40.50 inc shipping.
Pivot ladder tool each were $84.95 inc shipping.
Platforms each $32.45 inc shipping.
Company based in Tennessee.
Posted by denzle (denzle), 13 December 2003
Silly,
Could be an opening for an add on service there mate.
We do a lot of pressure washing of drives and roofs and the money isn't bad. You do need to fork out a fair bit though on a decent pressure washer.
I had one customer where all the front upstairs window were only accessable from off a roof that was getting dangerous, i had to tell her that unless she had the roof cleaned we would have to leave those windows in future.... guess what, she stumped up £70 and we cleaned the roof, now we are both happy.
Denzle
Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 13 December 2003
Hi denzle
This is what I was looking into
After having a look through your web site where did you get yr pressure washer attachment for doing paths the round attachment and what is it called
Cheers
Alan
Posted by denzle (denzle), 13 December 2003
Alan,
That piece of kit is called a "Whirlaway" surface cleaner and is a great bit of kit.It cleans an 18" strip of driveway each pass. It doesn't splash water all over the windows or blow gravel everywhere. Its like using a hover mower that is attached to your pressure washer, you just slowly walk up and down the drive with it and hey presto.... one clean drive or patio.
Its no good on tarmac as it would rip it up. The only downside is the price at about £600 plus a good pressure washer to feed it. We also have other types of lances including a tubo lance which will shift anything and a 21' extending lance for house and roof cleaning from the ground.
I use a 13HP Honda job with a 200 bar ( 3000psi ) output at about 5 gallons per minute. If you need any more info just let me know.
Denzle
Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 13 December 2003
Hi Denzle
Thanks for yr rely mate
That sounds like a nice bit of kit and a good set up you have.
I was looking into the tow jetters (Harbon)with the same sort of spec what you talk about but think water flow is about 8gph but might be too big also very good for drain work which also getting into.
Alan

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.