Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

CHAMMIES OR SCRIM

Posted by jonnyboy (jonnyboy), 5 February 2004
SmileyHi, wondering if any of you guys can help with this.  I'm kinda new to this arent't chammies better than scrim for wiping up excess water.  If not, why not ?  Grin

Cheers,

Jonnyboy
Posted by allseasons (allseasons), 5 February 2004
SCRIM
I only use dry scrims for touching up or polishing the glass, and I don’t like chammies they end in holes and bits that I can’t use.

I use old rags, cheap tea towels or cloths to mop up any water I leave on the sills or frames.  

Posted by paul (paul), 5 February 2004
i use scrim all the time its personal preference Tongue
Posted by T_W_CONTRACTS (T_W_CONTRACTS), 5 February 2004
i use towling thats been recycled by local authority
hospitals ect for mopping up it cant be beaten Wink
Posted by Simon_King (Simon_King), 5 February 2004
I like microfiber cloths. Used to use a lot of scrim but I feel that microfiber is better. Mrs likes it too cos it do'snt clog the washing machine filter like scrim does. Does anyone agree?
Posted by g_griffin (g_griffin), 5 February 2004
I`ve thought about trying huck towels but believe they`re a bit  small.
So I thought maybe get two stitched together by machine (not mine  Kiss ) this will be bigger and cheaper than scrim and less breaking in.
 Has anyone any ideas or see a problem ? Maybe too big  Undecided.
        Cheers,

Gerry.
Posted by Londoner (Londoner), 6 February 2004
I use both depending on how much liquid you are taking up.
I was always taught that leathers were for drying and scrim was for polishing it off afterwards.
when I first started using this discussion group I was suprised to see other WCs used scrim for drying.

I have always bought unbleached calico from shops that sell fabrics for dress making. It works out about 50p a cloth. I believe scrim is the old sailors name for calico.
Posted by jontydog (jontydog), 6 February 2004
Scrim because it is all I have ever used and the bloke I used to work for did too
Posted by Rob_B (Rob_B), 6 February 2004
Scrim definately. Keep away from huck towels they are rubbish. You are lucky if a huck towel lasts for a full house before getting too wet.

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.