Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

General Cleaning Issues - Floorcare, car valeting, buying and selling businesses, pricing, staffing, market research, etc.

Cleaning Lino Help Please

Posted by ukmediums (ukmediums), 29 October 2003
I live in a former council house which has the proper thick lino in the kitchen. Its the stuff they put on with glue and hot air guns, not the cheaper thin lino.

My problem is that I cannot get it clean at all. I have a steam cleaner and the only way to remove all the marks on the floor is to do the entire floor with the small brush nozel on the steamer which takes about 2 days none stop. I have tried elbow greace and still it is soooooo hard to get clean. When, eventually I do get it clean and its walked on within a few days its back to square one.
It seems to have lost its stain resistency if you know what I mean and is Matt to look at with absolutely no shine.
I am a cleaner at school and we have a product called Carefree Stripper and Carefree Atternum (?) Would this be suitable for my floors  at home? Or can anone suggest a way of getting the floor clean again and it remaining that way with some kind of sealer?

Thanks for your help folks

Simon
Posted by petra (petra), 29 October 2003
If you are sure it is a vinyl, then clean it all again, try using a heay traffic floor cleaner, we use Clover gel or Lemon floor gel, but you need to mop a diluted solution on leave it for a few minutes and mop again,  (this gives the floor cleaner a chance to work, and we use it at a haulage firm)then rises the floor with clean plain water a few times until there is no trace of an chemicals left on it and use a floor polish , most modern polish you apply three coats, 1st one  seal second and thrid polish. Just read the label on the one at work and it should say whether or not it is a polish and the proper instructions should also be there.
Hope this helps
Petra
Posted by Mr._One_Step (Steve Carpenter), 29 October 2003
Hi Simon,

Linoleum can be stripped using a diluted stripper solution in conjunction with a low speed rotary and red cleaning pads. We always strip it regardless of whether it’s new or old. This prepares the surface for finish adhesion. After stripping neutralise with an acid rinse and pick up the solution, then rinse the floor and pick up the solution and finally allow to dry. Do not apply a seal unless the floor is old or worn.

I apply 5 coats of finish to linoleum to enhance and protect it. The type of finish used will depend on the customer’s maintenance requirements and amount of foot traffic it’s subjected to. If it’s correctly maintained then it should be 2-3 years before it needs to be stripped back again.

Always pre-test your stripping solution, as some strippers will dissolve linoleum.

Regards

Steve

Posted by pre-vac_Nick (pre-vac_Nick), 29 October 2003
Red pads!!!

Brown or Black for stripping my friend Wink
Not on linoleum my friend!

You will damage it with a brown or black. A red pad is sufficient if you use the correct stripping solution.

Regards

Steve
and as it looks like the problem is in your home , if you do not have access too a machine you can stip it by hand and use a striff floor srubbing brush... You can tell if it has been polished and sealed before, with all the cleaning you have already done you should have damage any privious polish by now and will notice small area's of flaky ness,
Petra
Posted by pre-vac_Nick (pre-vac_Nick), 29 October 2003
Wink ok then blue pad and allklean my chippy friend!!

I use red pad and protreat to buff to a high mettalised shine

so there!! Grin
Hi Mr. Pre-Vac,

I feel the need for speed!!!!

I use 2000rpm electric burnishers and propane burnishers. They just pop the gloss!!!!!

Cheers

Steve

Simon only wants some help, not a load of shavings, black and brown are for stripping and red is used for maintance to achive high shine, just double checked this with my suppliers, two different one, as long as you know what your doing that is...........Petra
Cool
Ps 1200 rpm is ample for me, steady and slow......
Posted by ellen (ellen), 29 October 2003
Thought i would return to Simon's question as everyone seems to have gone off on a tangent!
Simon try and get a floor polish that is at least 21-25% solids (it will say it on the label) and mop it on with a brand new unused mop putting at least 3 layers (let them dry properly inbetween coats)on also make sure that you use a non slip polish (especially as it's in a kitchen).
If you manage to do all this you should enjoy a lovely shiny floor for a long time.
You can maintain the floor with a gel such as pine or lemon or with a floor maintainer ( but don't get carried away with chemicals as too much can cause a problem and you will have to do it all again)
Because you are talking about a domestic floor you shouldn't have to 'scrub it off' very often but to maintain the shine you could do it about once a year (or once every 2 years depending on the wear-you will just have to see how it lasts!!)

Hope this helps

Ps
to the others i also use a red or a blue pad to buff and brown and black to scrub!
Debbie
Posted by ukmediums (ukmediums), 29 October 2003
Hi All

Thanks for your replies.

I do not have access to a floor buffer so it will be elbow grease. Thing is I know absolutely nothing about cleaning. I only started my job at the school a week ago to cover for someone with a sick child so some of the information is over my head.
Can anyone tell me what to get exactly and where to order it from online so I can just strip/clean and then seal/polish? Thing is this lino is soo sirty and it takes forever to clean even with elbow grease and a brillo pad. Like I say it takes days with my steam cleaner and a hard brush nozzle. I need something to strip all the dirt off easily.

To be honest I am a little lost as to what to get and where to get it from.

I appreciate all your help and replies, thank you all very much

Regards Simon
Posted by petra (petra), 30 October 2003
what about the sponsors of thid forum, express cleaning will help you
petra
Posted by ellen (Debbie S), 30 October 2003
Simon,
You can buy floor stripper at B&Q and also floor polish -maybe at the other DIY stores aswell.
Just follow the instuctions on the labels (and instead of a buffer use a stiff brush-let the stripper solution sit for a few minutes first and then scrub with the brush.Just make sure that you rinse the floor by mopping thoroughly a few times and let it dry properly before attempting to put any polish on-then follow my previous advice)
Debbie
Posted by petra (petra), 30 October 2003
Thompson local or yellow pages (sorry for using thoes bad words) should have cleaning suppliers listed
Petra
Posted by deep_clean (deep clean), 2 November 2003
If you do not have access to a low speed floor scrubber use Johnson speed stripper with cold water as it does not need to be machine scrubbed.  Flood the surface with a 16oz Kentucky mop (if poss) and leave for 5 minutes but make sure that it does not dry out (Important) repeat as necessary
Mop the entire residue up
And then re-mop with cold water and vinegar (30ml) per gallon (to neutralize the stripper) Then mop again with cold water (hot water melts the glue that holds the flooring down) with polish you get what you pay for.  If you want a quality finish try and get hold of Dymaglos about £11.36+ vat. But any 25% solids should be OK. Remember to change your shoes as they may have stripper on the soles.  3 to 7 thin coats will provide a glass like none slip finish.  If you don’t have access to a lamb’s wool applicator for the polish, use a brand new 12oz dolly mop.  Putting polish on is relatively easy pour the polish (carefully) onto the floor. Mop around the outside edged with polish first, then work East to West slightly overlapping each stroke then North to South (second coat) when the first coat is dry (20-25 minutes) repeat as necessary.

Hope this helps  Smiley

Russ

www.deep-clean.co.uk

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.