Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

fluffy scrim?

Posted by anderclean (anderclean), 1 December 2003
just a quick one guys....

Can any one say of a sure fire way to get your scrim completely fluff free.......

and can one bad piece contaminate a bunch in the machine??

Rob
Posted by anderclean (anderclean), 5 December 2003
is this just something we have to live with.........

or am I the only one ? ! ?
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 5 December 2003
Hi Rob,
         I think it is something we just have to live with. Once they are worn in they are fine.

Steve Lowe
Posted by Neil (wylie), 5 December 2003
I put four new scims in the machine the other week and bunged it up Angry Sad Shocked
The wife went nuts and I spent a hour draining the drum and cleanining the filters. Embarassed Embarassed Cry
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 5 December 2003
Have you tried using huck towels instead of scrim , its finished off around the edges, and are  about 2ft x 10 in  you can get them in pack of 3 for about £3.50 Cool
Hi Majestic
What are Huck towels? How do they compare to scrim
and where do you get them?
Hi Wylie,
They are like the towels you get on a roll in toilets , , they wash great and do as good a job as scrim,  I got mine from wintecs , I dont know if the forum sponsor stocks them . I would give them a try for about £3.50 you cant go wrong Cool
Thanks Majestic
I think I will give it a try I could do with some more cloths and I hate "breaking in" scrim. my hands are still a bit girlie after a few years in an office Roll Eyes Grin Cheesy
Hi Wylie
Mine were the same for a while , have you tried using a cream ,  in this cold weather I always put on a  hand cream , keeps them like a babys bum  and stops them cracking  Grin
Posted by karlosdaze (karlosdaze), 13 December 2003
I suffererd with hand cracking in the uk, now not so much. There is an article about this in "European cleaning" this month:-
http://www.europeancleaning.com/
Its free, and even when they notified me that they couldn't send it due to costs, I'm still receiving it.

I still use "Germolenes" new skin, which coats the finger ends, however be warned, if the "razor" cuts are too far gone, it aggravates the problem. Available from all good chemists, I have it brought over for me.
Posted by Paulcoz33 (Paulcoz33), 14 December 2003
What do you all use your scrims 4,I myself use the squeedge and then leave it no complaints to date.However i want your views see im a perfectionist,all i use is the scrim for the edge am i doing wrong? but there is 1 thing that gets my back up is i use the applicator and when i start to use my squeedge i seem to get drag marks how do i stop this happening ; something tells me im doing something wrong!
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 14 December 2003
Hi Paul,
          How do you clean leaded glass then Huh

Steve
Steve well yes i use the scrim then,i use the applicator then dry off with a towel then use a srim
Hi Paul,
          You like giving yourself hard work dont you Huh Roll Eyes
If you use a rat tail and then follow with a scrim you will find they come up fine.

Hope this helps

Steve
Steve, this is what im saying mate fairly new to this so all help is gratefully received thanks
Hi Paul,
          If i were you i would take a look at all the old posts and if you can not find the answers their is plenty of guys on this forum that have loads of experience.

Good luck

Steve
Posted by Bones (Bones), 15 December 2003
Hi Paul/Steve, The way i do leaded as i have one house full of it is i have a grade "b" scrim (don't ask me why??) only very slightly damp (with gg4) and a grade "a" scrim to polish up with and i seem to zip through it in no time at all, of course not as quick as a plain window and squeegie but a damn site quicker than I expected Grin

I think i use a grade "b" scrim cause i'm sure i heard somewhere they got a bit more bite?? i dunno  Roll Eyes

Mikey
Posted by higgs (higgs), 15 December 2003
Bones,

I also use the same method with the same zip through results.

Higgs
Posted by g_griffin (g_griffin), 15 December 2003
Mikey,

You only have ONE house full of lead?
   It should be " Bones The Lucky Window Cleaner".

Gerry.
Posted by pw (pw), 15 December 2003
yep bones       i do same and has allways worked well for me   paul Roll Eyes

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.