Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Cleaning Fringes on rugs

Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 22 September 2003
Can someone give me some advice on cleaning the fringes on rugs Huh They never seem to come up as good as i would like Embarassed

Steve Lowe
Posted by woodman (woodman), 22 September 2003
Fringes are nearly always made from cotton or wool so great care has to be taken when cleaning.

Not for the faint hearted but have you tried hydrogen peroxide 3%  mixed with four parts  neutral cleaning solution.

Mix it up into a lather and then pat on with a brush the LATHER  ONLY onto the fringes working away from the main body of the rug taking care not to get any onto the rug itself.

Leave in place for 15 minutes and extract off, they come up either pure white or nearly white every time a big improvment any way.

Happy Cleaning.

Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 22 September 2003
Hi Steve

The instructions given by Woodman will work.  A couple of additions...

Fringes when new are not pure white!

Using bleaches on fringes can weaken cotton fibres so make sure that you rinse thoroughly afterwards.

Make sure that any bleaches used do not wick back into the main body of the rug.

Do not dry rugs in direct sunlight as the sun's ultraviolet rays can bleach the tips of the fibres in an instant.

Regards
Derek
Posted by woodman (woodman), 22 September 2003
Agreed Derek

But as I say take care but don't be frightened by it, if your worried the first few times then use a colour stabiliser in the area behind the fringe to prevent wick back but you will soon not need to do this.
Your customers fringes will be soiled so if they come up any where near white they will be delighted plus you will be one of the few who will be able to clean rug fringes in your area and word will get round.

If in doubt practise on the mother in laws rug first and tell her Derek said it would be alright. Grin
Thanks Woodman and Derek. I will give that a go and see how i get on Cheesy

Steve Lowe
Posted by Nigel_W (Nigel_W), 22 September 2003
Steve,

Also worth considering is the type of tool you use to clean the fringes. I now clean rug fringes with a CFR upholstery tool. As you put the tool to the fringe it draws the fringe into the vacuum head where it is subjected to a constant stream of hot cleaning fluid. You can leave the fringe in for some time until it is clean, without overspray or overwetting the fringe. It also leaves the fringes straight and untangled. Since using this tool I have had alot of success with fringes with a simple pre-spray and acid rinse.

Nigel
Thanks Nigel. What is a CFR Upholstery tool Huh

Steve Lowe
Posted by Nigel_W (Nigel_W), 23 September 2003
Steve,

. Available in the UK from a couple of sources. Amtech and www.worldofclean.co.uk sell them.

This tool is also excellent for cleaning upholstery.

Nigel
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 23 September 2003
Thanks Nigel, I will give one of them a go.  Grin

Steve Lowe
Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 23 September 2003
Steve you hav'nt found out how much they cost Shocked Shocked

they're a bit over-priced, I bought a plastic 4inch version of this tool from ashbys for £80  it does a really nice job.

It works on the same principle of firing the solution across the fabric rather than at it and with the jet being inclosed it does'nt over-spray

Mike
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 23 September 2003
Hi Guys

The tool shown on the Forum (a couple of posts ago) is just the 'head section'

If you have a CFR machine then this section comes with the 33 ft hose but if you are using the CFR handtool with a conventional extraction machine then you will need the 5 ft extension hose.

These tools are not cheap but they are an excellent tool for upholstery, rug fringes also spot and stain removal.

Using the power of the water from 200 psi (on upholstery) and 400 psi on carpets you have the added benefit of jet agitation.

I used the CFR conversion tool with a conventional extraction machine for some time and the only downside (if you could call it that) is that you use a lot of water... the item being cleaned / dealt with dries quicker though Huh  The CFR machine recycles the water so this isn't a problem with that system

Useful piece of kit to have

There are other low moisture hand tools on the market which work in a somewhat similar way

Regards
Derek
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 23 September 2003
Thanks Mike and Derek. I have just spoken to one of my friends and he has just bought one and he said i could have a go and see how i find it. Grin

Steve Lowe

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.