Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Starting a window cleaning business - Equipment you need, suppliers to use and trade organisations to join, etc.

Time based or per window pricing?

Posted by Slatercleaners (Slatercleaners), 26 February 2004
As I am about to start pricing this weekend for work, what is the best way for when you are beginning?

I've heard people say 50p per window plus 50p per ladder lift, for example.

Others say work out how long it's take and multiply mins/60 times hourly rate say £15.

Bear in mind that I am just starting and the time based price wil probably price me out, as I should become faster. I'm trying to concentrate on cleaning the windows properly before I start aim for world records!! (I wouldn't be worried Terry Burrows Smiley)

Please advise on best pricing policy for beginners.
Thanks
Gary
Posted by Silly_Philly (Philip Hanson), 26 February 2004
This is a tricky one Gary,  you'll find you learn very quickly how much you can do in an hour.

My advice is to price high rather than low.  Most of us have made the mistake of pricing too low when we start and regretting it later.

Here's a little guide to get you started.  Everyone else, please let us know what you'd charge for the following houses:

House 1

House 2

House 3

House 4

House 5

House 6                         House 7                         House 8

Our prices would be:
House 1 : £8.00
House 2 : £13.00
House 3 : £12.00
House 4 : £15.00
House 5 : £10.00
House 6 : £25.00
House 7 : £18.00
House 8 : £14.00

Lets assume there's no conservatories, and this is for monthly work.

Maybe we should start a new thread with a proper priceing guide!

Philip
Posted by mickeyfat (VGC), 26 February 2004
We charge about half that
anymore and we would be told to get stuffed!!!

Whats the secret of getting at that price Shocked

because if i went around at those prices i would get much work
ok i know the work i would have would be worth more but i still dont think it would be enogh to warrent a months woth>Huh

house 5 is what i would agree with though
and maybe house 1
and 6, 7 , and 8

so i suppose im not that much different

Posted by Nick_Purssey (Nick_Purssey), 26 February 2004
Are we to just price for the front of the house, or guess that there is the same at the back and price for the whole thing? also how often would you like the house cleaned?? You dont want the insides done do you!!??  I charge 150% of the outside price if you do  Grin
we should say where in the UK we are (the price will be different for north or south etc.)
Posted by replacement (Justin R), 26 February 2004
I charge 75p per bay with a min charge of £4 if theres an patio door to do i charge this as an extra £1.

I find you win on some small windows but lose on others but overall its about right, plus i use an pole ( which today has killed my arms Sad ) which i tell the customer gets all the frames which it does.

Best thing to do is see what other window cleaners charge in your area and charge the same or near the same, as all area's are differnet.

Right off to rest my arm its killing me here, anyone get the same problem with a pole or is it just me?

Thanks

Justin

Posted by fez (fez), 26 February 2004
Wow! Nice test!

Here we go (prices off the top of my head if there were no conservatories at the rear).

No 1  £8
No 2  £9
No 3  £9
No 4  £8.50
No 5  £9
No 6  £20 - 22
No 7  £20
No 8  £15

I may have priced too cheaply but I probably do anyway. Undecided
Posted by Silly_Philly (Philip Hanson), 26 February 2004
Okay, Hold it there.

This merits its own topic on the main board.

Please reply to this topic instead:

http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Equipment;action=display;num=1077804680;start=0#0

I'll lock this topic so as we dont have 2 running at once.

Thanks to those who have already replied, I'll move your comments to the new topic.

Philip

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.