Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

black sticky patches!

Posted by bjc27 (bjc27), 5 October 2003
I am looking for some help on the best way to remove black sticky chewing gum-like stuff off carpets.

I clean caravans and have often come across this type of blemish on the carpets.  They are sometimes caused by gum - but not always! I think anything that starts of sticky and gathers a bit of dirt seems to end up with the same sort of sticky blob.

My only solution so far has been to cut them off!  I am going to end up with a bald carpets!

Can anyone help please?
Posted by aquaclean (aquaclean), 5 October 2003
You need Chewing gum remover/Solvent spotter available from trade suppliers and will remove chewing gum/ blue tack etc.
Posted by Cloverleaf (Cloverleaf), 6 October 2003
Or try prochem citrus gel.
A hand held steam gun is best used with the solvent.
John
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 6 October 2003
Hi

I would go along with the citrus gel products (Prochem and Chemspec supply them).

The reasons I prefer this type of product is that there is less chance of penetration to the back of the carpet thereby reducing problems of delamination or dissolving of backing materials

Regards
Derek
Posted by bjc27 (bjc27), 6 October 2003
is it possible to tell me how the solvent works - or the reaction of the chewing gum when it is applied?  Is there not a danger of removing the colour from the carpets?
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 7 October 2003
Hi

You place a quantity of the gel onto the top of the gum and leave it.... you will have to speak to a chemical analyst who will explain the chemical reaction that takes place.
As far as we cleaning technicians are concerned a portion of the gel, I would imagine, penetrates into the gum making it easy to remove.

It does require a good deal of flushing out to prevent resoiling problems.  

Derek
Posted by Tony_Browning (Tony_Browning), 7 October 2003
Hi all,
I have in the past used freezer spray, but hate using it as it (in my opinion) doesn't do the carpet any favours, with citrus gel how long do you leave it on the gum and then do you just use hwe?
rgds
Tony
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 7 October 2003
Hi Tony

I thought I was the only one who couldn't get on with the freezer sprays... I agree you can do damage to a pile.

I tend to apply the gel to the gum patches prior to setting up my machine... I then go along and scrape the gum off.. it should come off easily. You may need to use a Dry Solvent to remove the small amount of residue thats left ..then clean the carpet.

Derek
Posted by nick_warrenevans (nick_warrenevans), 7 October 2003
hi

I to don't get on with freezer sprays nor to impressed with steam spray.

I use Citrus Gel as well and i clean carpets in a college  every summer, you can imagine the amount of chewing gum to found. ( they must keep Wrigleys in business)

It is time comsuming having to remove every spot but i just cost it into the job

Nick
Posted by aquaclean (aquaclean), 8 October 2003
Hi all
Forgive my ignorance but I've never used the gel, surely it works exactly the same as gum remover only thicker substance, I use an old make-up brush( not mine I must add) to apply directly to the gum, leave to penetrate and scrape away, then HWE I've not had any problems as yet but if you think the gel is better i'll give it a try

Keith
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 8 October 2003
Hi

The gel works from the surface whereas the solvent liquids can penetrate into the backings more easily creating problems

If you have to deal with lots of chewing gum, have you tried the Bazooka that Prochem supply?
You might find that a lot quicker.

Amtech are selling a product called 'Riddagum' which comes with a small brush and you can purchase a tool similar to the Bazooka I believe.
I saw this demonstrated at the NEC show and it seemed to work well.

Regards
Derek

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.