Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Starting a window cleaning business - Equipment you need, suppliers to use and trade organisations to join, etc.

Keeping warm in winter

Posted by AMG (AMG), 2 October 2003
Winter is soon on it's way, any tips on how to keep warm on the job?  Shocked

I guess you can't clean that quickly done up like a snowman..??

The long term weather forecasts allot of snow this winter..  Oh joy!

Andy
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 2 October 2003
Hi Andy,
           Apart from thermals you can get window cleaning gloves that i find i just can not get used to and something on your head always helps. I think i must be one of the lucky few who dont feel the cold because most of the year i am happy enough in a tee shirt Grin

Steve
Posted by Rob_B (Rob_B), 2 October 2003
2 or 3 thin layers should do it. That's what I use and doesn't restrict movement and slow you down. Plus keep moving!
Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 2 October 2003
hi
you can not beat long johns they are great mates of mine talk about wearing tights  
each to there own
Alan
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 2 October 2003
You must have thermals , socks, long johns ,vest , and hat , have tried window cleaning gloves but could not work in them.  Cool
Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 2 October 2003
What are the problems with these gloves thought they were good
Cheers alan
Posted by matt (matt), 2 October 2003
Its my first winter as a window cleaner Smiley

BUT

13 years on building sites as a carpenter should have set me up for the cold dont you think
Posted by martin_606 (martin_606), 10 October 2003
Hi Guys

Long johns are great and dirt cheap in places like Primark 9top+bottoms for about a fiver and Hey!

If tights are good enough for the S.A.S i won't argue with that either

Regards

Martin Cool
Posted by fez (fez), 10 October 2003
on 10/02/03 at 21:52:07, Majestic wrote:
have tried window cleaning gloves but could not work in them.  Cool

I've just bought some Unger window cleaning gloves. I found they hurt my hands at first but now they're ok.

Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 10 October 2003
Hi Fez,
         I think its more the fact that you cant manipulate or feel how damp the scrim is when you are wearing them. Cry

Steve Lowe
Posted by fez (fez), 10 October 2003
Last winter, I tried to manage wearing nothing on my hands and I couldn't feel anything - full stop!
My hands were just numb - so this winter I've decided to try to get used to gloves. I have some thin surgical disposables and the Unger ones. Hopefully I'll be able to use them with good results at a decent speed. Undecided
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 10 October 2003
Hi Fez,
         Its good really that they have brought them out because over the years i have seen a few people go to different jobs because of the cold and i think its just what you get used to. Huh

Steve  
Posted by Bones (Bones the Winda Kleena), 14 October 2003
How about your other halfs "tights" Huh Undecided Embarassed ha ha
Posted by Bones (Bones the Winda Kleena), 14 October 2003
Seriously though, I am going to use my Windcheater i wear for golf, i get by wearing just that and a polo shirt when i'm playin golf. so i'll probably just chuck a gillet on aswell, should be pretty warm enough in them Grin
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 14 October 2003
Last week we had some very cold winds so I have invested in a balaclava ,  I can recomend it  Cool
Posted by gibbouk (gibbouk), 14 October 2003
in the winter i wear my wifes tights for the warmth... in summer i switch to stockings which are cooler and more hygenic.......thanks to viz for that one Grin Grin
Posted by Ken (Ken), 14 October 2003
Stick some grub (Jamaica Ginger Cake works for me) in your pouch and have a munch as you go. Makes a big difference.
Posted by AMG (AMG), 15 October 2003
John,

Isn't wearing a balaclava a bit dodgy?? If I saw a bloke climbing up a ladder to a window in a balaclava I'd be thinking.. where's his swag bag!    Grin

Andy

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.