Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

General Cleaning Issues - Floorcare, car valeting, buying and selling businesses, pricing, staffing, market research, etc.

Back pack, upright or tubs?

Posted by Scots_cleaner (Scots_cleaner), 4 December 2003
Hi folks,
Just a quick one  Huh
We have used tub vac on most contracts for some time now, but with bigger offices to clean and longer corridors
im looking at back packs due to increased productivity.

Just wondered if you have any experience of this type of cleaning?

We used one last night and cut down our vac time by 30 mins.

We shall try it for four weeks then might put it on our domestic cleaning.

More work less hours more profit... Grin Grin
Posted by Musicman (Musicman), 4 December 2003
Hi Scots_cleaner.

Personally I am a fan of back vacs, but on sites where I have recommended their use it seems that many cleaners don't like to use them.

The usual negatives include them being uncomfortable, causing back-ache, and becoming very hot on the back as the motor heats up. Also to reduce their weight, the refuse capacity is much smaller, so what you gain on productivity you lose on having to empty/change the bag.

Nilfisk do a great back vac but from what I have heard the cleaners do not like to use them.

Similarly it seems they are against uprights as well.

What I would say, with particular relevance to domestic cleaning, is that productivity increases are best seen in large open plan offices. Not many homes resemble those!

Musicman
Posted by petra (petra), 4 December 2003
Have used a back pack on a commercial before, and I'm no moaner, but they do cause back pain and need empting more......so this couls increase staff sickness (back problems are a big issue) and with risk assesments you will have to include this and it may make you liable later in life...at the end of the day happy staff usualy creates better work standards...
Just somthing for you to bear in mind..
Petra
Posted by John_Flynn (John_Flynn), 4 December 2003
You want a new employee Petra??

I've got a very good Personal Claim Solicetor Grin Grin Grin
Posted by petra (petra), 5 December 2003
I have a good personnal claims soli. too, but when you can prevent a problem it seem's logic to do so and with all the H&S rules and regs. nowadays it's all woth applying caution.
Petra
Posted by John_Flynn (John_Flynn), 5 December 2003
You got it Pet', Bolt that stable door BEFORE the horse has bolted!!
Posted by petra (petra), 9 December 2003
Safe and sensible thats me, don't go much on my spelling. must have been tired that day
Petra Grin

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.